Thread: Wonder Woman

Hybrid View

Wonder Woman

I thought we had a thread on this. Maybe it's just random mentions on other threads.

Gal Gadot on Wonder Woman casting, fan criticism, training, and more (video)
    By Chris Begley on December 26th, 2013

For the first time since being cast as Wonder Woman in Batman vs. Superman, model/actress Gal Gadot has commented on landing the huge role. Gadot was interviewed on Good Evening with Gai Pines, the top entertainment show in Israel. She talked about the casting news, fan criticism, training, and more. The entire interview was conducted in Hebrew, but thanks to Batman News reader Maxim, we have a full transcript below.

Where were you when you heard the news that you’d been cast as Wonder Woman?

I was just on my way to shooting at LA. I landed at NY in a connection flight when my agent, Hadass Lichtenstein, called me. She says to me “Wonder Woman!” and I’m like “What??” – “The role is yours!…and it’s a secret and the news are not yet announced and you can’t tell anyone…”. I’m saying to her “Are you serious??”- and we both scream! Now it’s a plane from Israel to NY and I can’t make loud noise, and so I lean on a window, bending down to my legs, and just try to understand. Long story short – I was totally alone in NY, I got to a hotel at 12 pm, I needed to wake up in the morning for shootings. I remember laying in the darkness by myself, staring at the ceiling, and I was telling myself “It’s not real!”…it shouldn’t be like that, I’m supposed to be like… “where’s the champagne?”.

It’s been said that you’re too skinny for the part. Wonder Woman is large-breasted, is that going to change?

Hmm. I represent the Wonder Woman of the new world. Breasts… anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go “by the book”…it’d be problematic.

So you’re not going to gain a little weight and start eating carbs before filming begins?

It’s the physical preparations that I’m starting now. A very serious training regimen – Kung Fu, kickboxing, swords, jujutsu, Brazilian…1,000 and 1 things…I’ll gain body mass.

If you speak Hebrew and would like to see the video for yourself (and help add to the translation), check it out:

Big thanks once again to Batman News reader Maxim for the heads up, and for sending in the translation above. Maxim is a PC modder whose modding team has created a “Batman vs. Bane” mod for Wolfenstein 3D.
    click the link above to get to the video.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

a threesome

Wonder Woman’ Gal Gadot Signs Three-Picture Deal with Warner Bros.

Donato Sardella/WireImage
    January 23, 2014 | 08:49AM PT
    Justin Kroll
    Film Reporter @krolljvar

Gal Gadot, the Israeli actress who was recently cast as Wonder Woman, has signed a three-picture deal with Warner Bros., Variety has confirmed.

We’re told Gadot will play the role in not only the upcoming Batman-Superman pic, but in a Justice League movie and a Wonder Woman standalone film.

The Israeli entertainment show “Good Evening with Gai Pines” reported that Gadot will earn $300,000 per film.

Limiting the deal to three pictures makes sense for Warners, since the studio still doesn’t know how auds will react to Wonder Woman in the untitled Batman-Superman movie. Since its taken so long to find the right parts to make a Wonder Woman movie work, WB and DC don’t want to rush into a large commitment if fans are still not drawn to a standalone movie featuring the character.

The untitled Batman-Superman film was originally scheduled to open next year, but has been pushed back to May 6, 2016.
    Meanwhile, as DC gets off these three pictures, how many Marvel films and TV shows will be made?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina chimes in

I guess we must put those rumors to bed now, but I'm clinging to my fantasies of Gina and a golden lasso.
    Henry Cavill Girlfriend Gina Carano Speaks Up On Wonder Woman Rumors; Says She Was ‘Never Approached’ & ‘Don’t Know If I Was Considered’
    By Staff Writer | May 15, 2014 06:39 AM EDT

Source: Flickr/Az29c

Henry Cavill girlfriend Gina Carano is one of those actors who’s nearly as well known for what she’s not doing as for what she is notes the Toronto Sun. For a while, there has been this ongoing buzz about Carano possibly playing the role of Wonder Woman.

Last month, the actress finally set the record straight on rumors that she was offered the role of Wonder Woman for the film. Speaking with the Toronto Sun, the actress said that she was “never approached” role despite reports suggesting otherwise. “I don’t know if I was considered,” she added. But She praised Gal Gadot for clinching the role of the heroine in the movie.

“She’s such a great person with such solidness in her character, so I’m very excited for her to do that,” the actress said. She also added that she and Gadot were co-stars in “Fast & Furious 6.”

Superman’s on again, off again girlfriend also addressed the negative criticism that Gal Gadot received from fans saying that she’s “too skinny” to play Wonder Woman.

"I think people have an idea what they consider Wonder Woman. I definitely know [Gadot] had been training and there's so much more than goes into being a strong female character," Carano said.

"I think people have their own idea, but I always like the underdog, I'm always rooting for the underdog. If the world says you can't do something, I couldn't care less because that's not how anybody should live their lives."

According to the HGN, many superhero fans have pegged the MMA fighter-turned-actress for the female superhero lead. Many thought that she had the perfect look to play Wonder Woman in Zack Snyder’s “Batman vs. Superman.”

Gina Carano is an American actress, TV personality, fitness model and former mixed martial artist. She began her training with straight Muay Thai to compete in the MMA where she had tenures in organizations such as Strikeforce and EliteXC.

The actress’s first big break came when Ocean Eleven’s director Steven Soderbergh cast her as the lead in his smart, arty 2011 thriller Haywire.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gina just makes me all tingly...

I wonder about this part though:
    It’s the physical preparations that I’m starting now. A very serious training regimen – Kung Fu, kickboxing, swords, jujutsu, Brazilian…
    Since she separated brazilian from Jujutsu, maybe she (Gal) means Brazilian wax?

Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Why does your mind always go there, s_j?

Okay, maybe our minds go there too but we just don't post it out loud.

I'm glad Gal's training Kung Fu. You really got to train Kung Fu if you want to make it in the movies. Movie fu is the most powerful ******* child of Kung Fu.

If only Gina would start Kung Fu. Remember my interview with her?
    I've got to ask you a kung fu question because that's the basis of our magazine.

Gina: (laughs) OK.

Everyone feels you have the charisma to go into movies. If you did that, do you think you'd ever train in something more showy like kung fu?

Gina: Absolutely. I would love to train in kung fu. You know, kung fu, I'm all about training and learning. And especially if it was to just learn - I'd love to actually. You know what really is a beautiful thing I've - it's not anything related - well, I don't know if people use it in fighting, is capoeira. That's beautiful. I think if I had to do those flips and that dance - that would be awesome.

If you ever start training kung fu, just let us know. I'll have you on our cover so fast, it'll make your head spin harder than Cyborg's punch.

Gina: (laughs)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Playing balls, getting sweaty, and scraping knees with Gal Gadot

This should probably go on the Batman-vs-Superman thread, but I don't really care about them.

Wonder Woman in ‘Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice’ Knows Tons of Martial Arts Styles
    Posted By: Kazem Sedighzadeh Posted date: March 26, 2015In: TV

The third most popular superhero or superheroine in the upcoming DC movie “Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice” is obviously Wonder Woman.

It’s very evident on the first posters of the DC superhero film which will hit theaters on March 25, 2016. In addition to Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman is also featured as the metamorphosis of goddess Diana, with god-like superpowers. After all she is also one of the daughters of Greek supreme god Zeus.

Those who have had the opportunity to see Wonder Woman on TV back in the late 70s and early 80s know that the superheroine’s main strengths are her unique hand-to-hand combat skills and her bracelets which can deflect bullets. In the cartoons and the comics, Wonder Woman also has her invisible jet which she uses to fly and join Superman in the sky.

However, in the upcoming DC movie, Director Zack Snyder has given Wonder Woman some realism in terms of her superpower abilities. According to Screen Rant, Diana will have unbelievable endurance and will be exceptionally strong.

She is capable of jumping really high and practically fly, which would remind moviegoers of how Marvel did it with the Incredible Hulk. Most of all, Wonder Woman is a fighting expert because she knows tons of martial arts styles.

Bulking up

Given the premise of Wonder Woman’s superpowers, which are more realistic than say flying an invisible jet or having a wonder beam emanating from her crown, which she actually used to do in the cartoons before, it was imperative for Israel actress Gal Gadot, who’s playing Wonder Woman, to really bulk up.

Gadot disclosed recently that she had undergone training at the hands of Mark Twight of Gym Jones, who was the same trainer who turned Henry Cavill the muscle man that he is and become the largest actor rendition ever to Superman.

The idea behind the training is to make Gal Gadot bulk up more so that she would look really capable in defeating her opponents not unlike her previous slender and model-like figure. Snyder simply wanted her to become a convincing warrior, and Gadot was more than happy to oblige.

She recalled that the training was quite easy for her because she also worked once as a fitness instructor for the Israel Defense Forces before she joined the movies. Gadot was more than just a pretty face because she was also loaded with fitness and fighting skills as an individual.

The actress also said that it was also easy for her to go to the gym without any inhibition since she was more like a tomboy when she was little. She explained that her daughter did not take after her because her little one likes dressing up like a princess and putting on makeup and lipstick. She was more like one with the boys, and likes playing balls, getting sweaty, and scraping her knees too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gal Gadot

A dated interview, but surely one not to be overlooked here. I cross checked the original 2015 Inquisitor interview online that is cited as the primary source, but there was no mention of Kung Fu there.

Gal Gadot Worked On Jiu-Jitsu and Other Martial Arts To Portray Wonder Woman
    Apr 17, 2017Iva Djokovic

Wonder woman movie is set to be released June 2nd 2017. But with it come several surprises, Gadot as a part of the DC Comics universe had the pleasure to star alongside several famous fans of bjj so it’s no surprise she opted for some bjj classes when she was cast as the bad a*s hero of female empowerment.

“I work out a lot now with Wonder Woman [Gadot is playing the superhero in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, out in 2016]. I can’t say too much about my training regime but we do work out a lot—we do a lot of different martial arts. But in my ordinary life when I don’t work, I like to paddle board and do TRX.” Gadot told inquisitor.

Gadot later added:
    “It’s the physical preparations that I’m starting now. A very serious training regimen – Kung Fu, kickboxing, swords, jujutsu, Brazilian…1,000 and 1 things…I’ll gain body mass…Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate Amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I’d really go ‘by the book’…it’d be problematic.”.”

Of course Gadot is no stranger to martial arts – she spent two years in the Israel Defense Forces.
    “My mom is a gymnastics teacher. So growing up I was never sitting watching TV in the afternoons. I always played ball outside in the backyard. I was a dancer for 12 years. I did tennis, basketball, volleyball, dodgeball, you name it,” she said. “[In the IDF] I was a gym trainer on one of the bases in Israel. So my boot camp was longer than other boot camps. It was four months and all about sports, waking up at 6:30 a.m. and going for a run, doing push-ups…”

Gadot was also friends with the late Paul Walker thanks to her role in Fast and Furious 6 – Walker was one of the biggest ambassadors of jiu-jitsu prior to his tragic passing.

Gal is not just credited with smashing beauty, she also possess immense inner strength. Her background of being a part of Israeli Military shows that she is a real tough woman. Not being alien to vigorous workouts, Gal shares that one of the reasons why she has been chosen for the role is her insight about the use of diverse weapons. The smashing beauty who is all resolved to give her hundred percent to the role is embracing really intense workouts such as kickboxing, martial arts, kung fu, sword fighting, Jiu-Jitsu etc.

Growing up “very Jewish” in suburban Tel Aviv, the teenaged Gadot was tall, sporty and strong. “My mother was a PE teacher so I grew up playing volleyball, tennis, basketball … I was a high jumper,” she says. “I was very, very active. I danced for 12 years – ballet, hip-hop and jazz – I thought I might be a choreographer. I never planned on being an actress. Life just happened that way.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Supergirl - Extended "Wonder Woman" Promo

Lynda, Teri & Melissa.

I went to High School with Teri.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kinda funny

4 Wonder Woman Projects That Never Took Off
    6:00 AM 5/31/2017 by Tatiana Siegel

Before Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot brought Diana Prince to the big screen, scores of others tried and failed.

Sandra Bullock, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Megan Fox, Christina Hendricks, Beyonce Knowles — at one point or another, they were all rumored to be filling Wonder Woman's boots. Indeed, Hollywood has been promising for decades to make a movie about the Amazonian princess in the red, yellow and blue bathing suit, with many of the town's top leading ladies vying for the title role. But, until now, Wonder Woman remained as invisible as her plane. Here's a look back at some of her most notable failed launches.

Joss Whedon's Anti-Corporation Wonder Woman
    Joss Whedon reportedly earned $2 million to $3 million for a 2005 Wonder Woman script for Joel Silver. Its plot, Whedon later revealed, was "about how giant conglomerates are eating the world and how we are all puppets underneath them — maybe that's what [Warner Bros.] didn't like about it." It never got to the casting stage, although Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Charisma Carpenter was considered a possibility. Whedon was adamant that the character get a change of wardrobe. "In my version, she had an outfit that was more classically Greek in the warrior sense — she wasn't going to be wearing an American flag."

Wonder Woman's Daughter
    Before Whedon, Silver had gone through a half-dozen other screenwriters with contemporary storylines, including one about Wonder Woman's daughter, Donna Troy, before hiring Laeta Kalogridis (co-writer of Oliver Stone's Alexander) in 2003. Her script went back to basics. "The island, the Amazons, chicks kicking butt," she described it. It churned through the studio for a few years, never getting much traction.

Wonder Woman vs. Superman?
    Wonder Woman had a major role in Warner Bros.' original 2007 Justice League project, written by husband-and-wife team Kieran and Michele Mulroney (Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows), including a rock 'em, sock 'em midair fistfight with a hypnotized Superman. After he lands a shattering blow, sending Wonder Woman jackknifing into outer space, the Man of Steel delivers his parting words, "Die … ***** …!"

Wonder Woman on NBC
    David E. Kelley wrote a Wonder Woman pilot for NBC that was shot in 2011. It starred Adrianne Palicki as Diana Themyscira, who not only fought crime in contemporary Los Angeles but also was CEO of her own large corporation. Despite a cameo by Alan Dershowitz arguing against Wonder Woman's extrajudicial reach ("I don't remember anything in the United States Constitution that says a woman in a costume is exempt from the Bill of Rights …"), the pilot never made it on the air.
    I was hoping for a screener invite, but no. Wonder Woman stood me up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wonder Woman - God Killer Sword - MAN AT ARMS: REFORGED

Wonder Woman's sword forged by my cast mates on MAN AT ARMS: ART OF WAR.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$223,005,000

Domestic: $100,505,000 45.1%
    + Foreign: $122,500,000 54.9%
    = Worldwide: $223,005,000

BOM

The Complex Gender Politics of the 'Wonder Woman' Movie
    by Tatiana Siegel May 31, 2017, 6:00am PDT

Can Patty Jenkins make the superhero world safe for female directors? Warner Bros. gambles $150 million on its first woman-centered comic book movie with a filmmaker whose only prior big-screen credit was an $8 million indie: "I can't take on the history of 50 percent of the population just because I'm a woman."
    Patty Jenkins is sipping some sort of healthy soup-like sludge at a restaurant in Burbank called Olive & Thyme. Dressed in black jeans and a white tank top, with a pair of aviator sunglasses perched on her forehead to keep her straight black hair from falling into her brown eyes, she looks like a grad student taking a break between classes. You'd never guess that this petite woman drinking green gunk is actually the most important female film director in the business today. She doesn't think so, of course.
    "I can't take on the history of 50 percent of the population just because I'm a woman," says Jenkins, bristling when asked about the heavy responsibility of directing Wonder Woman, the most expensive film ever shot by a person with two XX chromosomes (its $150 million budget surpasses Kathryn Bigelow's $100 million K-19: The Widowmaker). "I'm just trying to make the greatest version of Wonder Woman that I can for the people who love the character as much as I do and hope that the movie lives up to all the pressure that's on it."

And that pressure is superhuman, to be sure. When the biggest female-centered comic book movie ever premiered at the Pantages Theatre in L.A. on May 25 (it goes wide June 2), it was Jenkins' name leading the credits. That would be nerve-wracking enough even for a director with lots of experience working on big-budget superhero movies. But aside from the pilot of AMC's The Killing and occasional gigs on other high-profile TV shows — shooting episodes of Arrested Development and a couple for Entourage — Jenkins' biggest accomplishment (indeed, her only big-screen feature) was 2003's Monster, the indie drama about a female serial killer that earned critical raves and Charlize Theron a best actress Oscar.

Hiring Jenkins, 45 — who had come close to directing a superhero movie before, the 2013 Thor sequel, but ended up backing out — was obviously a big gamble for Warner Bros., a studio that has been having creative if not necessarily financial issues with its superhero franchise films ever since the Dark Knight trilogy. But her taking the helm of Wonder Woman is also a big deal for pretty much every female director in Hollywood with tentpole ambitions. If Wonder Woman is a hit, then doors that have been kept shut for decades could potentially swing open (they are already, at least a crack, with Gina Prince-Bythewood just getting hired to direct Sony's Spider-Man spinoff Silver & Black). If, on the other hand, Wonder Woman turns out to be another Catwoman, the superhero universe could remain a boys club for eons to come.

"That's the challenge — how to tell a story of a woman and make it universal," says Gal Gadot, the 32-year-old Israeli actress who stars as the Amazonian princess with bullet-deflecting bracelets. "We are all used to having male protagonists in movies [directed by men]. But the way Patty has captured the Wonder Woman character, she is very relatable to everyone. Boy, girl, man, woman — everyone can relate to her."

Photographed by Miller Mobley
    "Wonder Woman can be charming and warm — she just happens to be a demigoddess who can beat the **** out of you," says Gadot.
    •••

Jenkins grew up in California. And Thailand. And Kansas. And Germany. Her dad was an Air Force captain (who won a Silver Star in Vietnam) and her mom an environmental scientist; and Patricia Lea, as she was christened, spent most of her childhood moving from one air base to another. As far as she's concerned, it was the perfect training for a future career in filmmaking. "To be a director, you need to be reliable, on time, confident, calm, all of those things you see demonstrated in the military," she notes.

As a kid, she'd always been interested in storytelling and visual arts. Her first job in movies was during junior high, when she was a production assistant on a documentary directed by a friend of her mother's. She ended up studying painting at Cooper Union in New York, where she took a course in experimental filmmaking, and after graduation spent nine years in New York learning filmmaking by working on "literally thousands" of commercials and music videos until she moved to L.A. and enrolled at AFI for directing.
    After AFI, she made a couple of shorts of her own, which she used to raise money ($8 million) for her first feature. It was at this point that she first demonstrated a talent for making unexpected but fortuitous choices: She cast Theron, then considered more of a pin-up than a serious actress, as the film's lead, the decidedly unsexy serial killer Aileen Wuornos. "I said to her, 'You know, you're absolutely f—ing crazy,' " remembers Theron of her conversation with Jenkins over her casting. "Nobody else would have done that. It was very, very unusual. She looked at me in a way that nobody has ever looked at me."

Courtesy of Warner Bros. Entertainment
    Jenkins (left) with Gadot on the Italy set of Warner Bros.' $150 million Wonder Woman.

The film became such a breakout success that dream opportunities began falling into Jenkins' lap. Famed test pilot Chuck Yeager approached her to make a movie about his life story, but she opted to develop it independently rather than at a studio, and it eventually fell apart. Then she was set to team with Ryan Gosling on an indie drama titled I Am Superman (no relation to the DC Universe). But she got pregnant with her now-8-year-old son (she's married to travel writer Sam Sheridan; the three live in Santa Monica, where Jon Favreau is a neighbor), and it got put on hold (she still plans to make the movie with Gosling). Instead, she started directing TV shows — a much less time-consuming job for a new mom — including that pilot for The Killing, which drew critical raves and earned Jenkins an Emmy nomination.

At one point, Jenkins was attached to direct Marvel's Thor: The Dark World, the critical misfire that Alan Taylor wound up shooting after Jenkins left the project (it ended up grossing $645 million worldwide). She won't say what transpired with that film but will talk more generally about a certain unnamed tentpole that she ultimately walked away from (rhymes with "s'more"). "There have been things that have crossed my path that seemed like troubled projects," she says. "And I thought, 'If I take this, it'll be a big disservice to women. If I take this knowing it's going to be trouble and then it looks like it was me, that's going to be a problem. If they do it with a man, it will just be yet another mistake that the studio made. But with me, it's going to look like I dropped the ball, and it's going to send a very bad message.' So I've been very careful about what I take for that reason."

Photographed by Miller Mobley
    "I can't take on the history of 50 percent of the population just because I'm a woman," says Jenkins.

The problem is that tentpole opportunities for women — or any movie directing jobs, for that matter — are still pretty rare … and getting rarer. Despite an increased spotlight on diversity and inclusion, female filmmakers actually lost ground in 2016. Women made up just 7 percent of all directors on the top 250 films, a 2 percent decline from 2015, according to San Diego State University's Celluloid Ceiling report. That downward trajectory puzzles Jenkins. "I'm sure there's a long history of belief that certain jobs are masculine," says Jenkins. "But why a director would fall into that [category] makes me very confused. Because it feels like a very natural job for a woman. It's incredibly maternal in a way. You're caretaking all of these sorts of things."

But around the same time Marvel was making its sequel about the Norse god with the big hammer, Warner Bros. was trying to figure out what to do with its greatest untapped superhero resource. The studio had been toying with the idea of making a big-screen Wonder Woman for decades, with producer Joel Silver going through at least a half-dozen screenwriters (including Joss Whedon) looking for a greenlight-able script (until Silver was relieved of the brand when Diane Nelson was named entertainment president and tasked with shaking up the studio's comic book development). At one point in 2010, there was an effort to bring Wonder Woman back to TV for the first time since Lynda Carter wore the tiara on ABC in the 1970s, with David E. Kelley writing a pilot for NBC. But that never panned out either.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tomorrow!

El Rey Network
    ‏Verified account

@Elreynetwork
    9h9 hours ago
    TOMORROW! Danny Trejo & the builders bring Wonder Woman's Shield to life! Catch the all-new Man At Arms: Art Of War WEDNESDAY 9p ET on @ElReyNetwork! #dannytrejo #manatarms #weapons #wonderwoman #deathstroke #justiceleague #action #movies #tv #elreyallday @officialdannyt
    THREADS:
    Man at Arms: Art of War - Original Series from EL REY Network
    Wonder Woman
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips