Thread: Halloween (2018) trailer

Halloween (2018) trailer

This is now the direct sequel to the 1978 original. They've basically gone back and erased the history of all the sequels, which is awesome because, IMO, the sequels ruined the original. Although John Carpenter is not directing, he was executive producer and a consultant, and also did the musical score. Jamie Lee Curtis, reprising her role as Laurie Strode, looks to have become a bad@ss, and her character is no longer the wallflower of 40 years ago. I don't generally like horror movie sequels, but this one I will definitely be seeing:

Last edited by Jimbo; 10-18-2018 at 04:33 PM.

Check out the EW photo spread

Jamie Lee Curtis is the ultimate horror heroine on EW's killer Halloween cover
    Halloween (2018)
    RELEASE DATE 10/19/18
    Movie Details
    TYPE Movie
    GENRE Horror
    CLARK COLLIS
    September 26, 2018 at 07:58 PM EDT

For more on Halloween, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday, or buy it here now. Don’t forget to subscribe for more exclusive interviews and photos, only in EW.

Laurie Strode is becoming unhinged.

“I saw the shape of the bad man, and I had a gun, and I didn’t know what to do with it!”

It is day 19 on the Charleston, S.C., set of Halloween, a sequel to John Carpenter’s 1978 horror classic of the same name. Jamie Lee Curtis is back playing the slasher genre’s most celebrated heroine, surrounded by her daughter Karen (Judy Greer), son-in-law Ray (Toby Huss), and granddaughter Allyson (Andi Matichak). In the original film, Laurie was a teenage babysitter who narrowly escaped masked killer Michael Myers after he had slain three of her friends. In the new Halloween (out Oct. 19), Curtis’ character remains in the fictional town of Haddonfield, Ill., haunted by Myers and obsessed with the possibility of his return. The killer has spent the previous four decades in a psychiatric institution and is now being transferred to a maximum-security prison, but Strode is convinced he still presents a murderous threat.

“She was really unhinged from the whole experience,” Curtis tells EW of Laurie’s ordeal back in 1978. “The woman we meet 40 years later is really a walking example of PTSD.”

Strode’s agitation today, however, is exceptional: She’s just witnessed Myers being placed on a prison bus, and her hesitation to shoot her onetime assailant has her completely undone. “Let’s press the reset button,” says Greer’s Karen at one point, pleading for her mother to calm down. “Let’s have a do-over.”

Given the situation, her request seems perfectly reasonable. But Greer’s dialogue can also be interpreted as a wink to the film’s audience. Why? Because this is a direct sequel to Carpenter’s original film, and it operates as if the events depicted in the nine subsequent franchise entries never happened. And this cleaning of the slate isn’t the only element of the new movie that has caused eyebrows to raise among horror fans. Halloween is directed and co-written by David Gordon Green (George Washington, The Sitter), whose résumé, while eclectic, does not include anything resembling a horror movie. Even more curious, Green co-wrote the script with Danny McBride, a friend of the filmmaker’s from their days at the University of North Carolina School of the Arts. McBride is best known for his comedic performances on the envelope-pushing HBO sitcoms Eastbound & Down and Vice Principals, shows on which Green was a frequent director. So, is this new iteration of the franchise less “The night he came home” — the tagline for the original film — and more “The night he got high and told a bunch of off-color jokes”?

Green insists Halloween lovers need not worry. “We’re really trying to honor Carpenter’s vision,” says the filmmaker. “Danny said a really smart thing: ‘Until there’s killings, there’s no jokes. Let’s not give anybody anything to laugh at until we’ve scared them s—less.’”

Over the past eight months EW has stalked Curtis and the rest of the Halloween crew — though hopefully in a much less threatening manner than Michael Myers tracks Laurie Strode. The result is a story which includes interviews with Curtis, Green, McBride, Carpenter, and Nick Castle, who once again makes an appearance as Myers in the new film, 40 years after playing the slasher icon in the original movie. So, grab your copy of the new EW, settle down with your favorite pumpkin-flavored brew, and read all about how one of horror’s most beloved franchises came back from the dead. In our not-so-humble opinion, it’s a killer read!

Art Streiber for EW
    Halloween (2018)
    TYPE Movie
    GENRE Horror MPAA R
    RELEASE DATE 10/19/18
    DIRECTOR David Gordon Green
    CAST Jamie Lee Curtis, Judy Greer, Andi Matichak
    STUDIO Universal
    COMPLETE COVERAGE Halloween (2018)
    This is just the cover - the photos that go with this article are hysterical. Here's my fav:

I love Jamie Lee. I've loved her for the past 4 decades.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I have also liked Jamie Lee Curtis, though not in a 'crush' or 'attraction' kind of way. She has a great, unique charisma. Her personality, and even some of her facial expressions, actually remind me of a Caucasian version of a late aunt of mine (my favorite aunt) when she was younger.

*A VERY brief, bare-bones preview:

I saw the movie. As expected, this new official sequel is a lot more violent and graphic than the original. It appears that Michael Myers has become crotchety, more aggressive, and more indiscriminate a killer as an older man. He has his 'old man strength' which, for a man like him, would be a scary thing.

Laurie Strode (JLC) has had a very difficult 40 years since surviving the original. She has become a very paranoid survivalist/loner who almost nobody really takes seriously, least of all her own daughter (whom as a child she forced to learn how to shoot along with hand-to-hand combat), and granddaughter. But this time when Michael comes, she has a little something-something for him.

Is the movie scary? Someone else would answer that better. I don't get scared watching horror movies, although some of them have a great, eerie atmosphere. I won't say that Halloween (2018) is all that atmospheric, as it's a violent slasher/smasher movie. The original relied more on atmosphere, but more of a suspenseful vibe as opposed to a creepy one. Do I think it 's a worthy sequel? Yes, I do; IMO, it's the best sequel, and the makers were right to erase the other sequels and create a direct line to the original.