Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Test your skill against other systems

I think it's important to first acquire some skill.
    Once you've put in the time and effort to do that, you won't think it's a big deal to touch hands with others.

If you are caught in some sort of inane loyalty plan... I don't know what to say about that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    It amazes me how you still try to sell yourself like this.
    I admire your delusions !
    They have quite the staying power.
    You are right, but I am an old man now. In my younger days I was much more arrogant and full of myself. thing is, you would not have been able to fight me back then. I was absolutely and totally confident in myself and my prowess as a gung fu fighter. It made my living for the better part of 30 years. It helped me earn a lot of money.
    I realize that, or it seems like some of you spend your time running between gyms trying to learn different styles of fighting, but never really seem to use it for your own benefit. You will never amount to much as a fighter unless you settle on something and work until you are good at it. And you have to have confidence to the point of arrogance if you intend to make it work for you. The world you live in is way too small I think.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I am an old man now
    old enough.......
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    The world you live in is way too small I think.
    and your world is way to egotistical.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

It is good to do both. Basically, it means to know what the real world is by getting out of the bottom of a well. Even the opponent's skill has advantage over us, we might still win. Think about it. If our system can allow the student to defeat opponents of similar skill level only, perhaps that will tell us how good it is.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

I think it's good to train with others who do other systems. This doesn't mean I have to train their system, but it does mean that, if my system has a response to what they are doing, I will have to know it. It makes me better at what I am doing.

That said, I have nothing against borrowing a practice I like from another source.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Nothing more frustrating than being completely shut down by a grappler though. Getting punched out is refreshing compared to having some cat manhandle you but not really hurting you.
    This statement seems like the gimp scene from pulp fiction... So you like being manhandled and gently punched?
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    You will never amount to much as a fighter unless you settle on something and work until you are good at it. And you have to have confidence to the point of arrogance if you intend to make it work for you.
    I agree with this... but you have to constantly be aware that there is a danger in misguided self confidence if you don't test yourself outside of your school and system once in a while.

Just remember the look of shock on that Ki Master's face when the young MMA guy slapped him upside the head to get what I mean.

To supplement to what my previous words, test our skill against other systems will tell us how good our system can stand in the world. Sparring with people of our own system is often not large in range of techniques. Besides learning the technicalties of different system, it can improve our modesty. There is likely a higher mountain out there.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Blog Entries
    Today, 2 of my students just won the 1st and 2nd place in a local Sambo tournament. Unfortunately, they had to fight the final between them.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-08-2014 at 11:34 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Today, 2 of my students just won the 1st and 2nd place in a local Sambo tournament. Unfortunately, they had to fight the final between them.
    Congrats!

Do you have any video to share?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    Congrats!

Do you have any video to share?
    I wasn't there but I would ask my student if any of their friends did any recording. The attitude that they are willing to test their skill against other systems in different rule sets that make me very happy.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-09-2014 at 12:57 PM.

That's awesome. Best way to round out is to diversify, of course. Good for them. You must be very happy to see your teachings cross over like that. Good for all of you. You should try to find some catch wrestling matches for them.

Do they cross train or is it all your teachings?

Congrats!
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Do they cross train or is it all your teachings?
    One guy cross trained BJJ for ground skill. The other guy had ground skill from wrestling before he came to me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.