Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Test your skill against other systems

Blog Entries

Test your skill against other systems

What's the value to only test your skill against people from your own system? Will it be better to test your skill against people from other systems?

Your thought?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Do both.

Test skill with your own system to develop your system's specialty to a high level.

Train with others to understand their strengths and specialties.

You have to develop your SC against others with high level SC skill, but then you want to know how non-SC will try to gain advantage.

Blog Entries
    I like to wrestle with wrestlers more than Judo guys. The Judo guys just move too much like SC guys. I don't like to spar with longfist guys because I know pretty much what they will do. To me, if I spar/wrestle a guy who uses similar techniques as I do, there isn't much fun there. Without "fun", it defeats the purpose of TCMA training.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2013 at 07:53 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you should always try and seek out those in other areas to supplement. all the previous statements I agree with. Be well rounded, know the strengths of others and fight the fight you know. I've found that in the TCMA community in particular many try to think that what they are given is the know all answer to fighting. There are many other systems outside the TCMA community that fight in totally different perspectives, which have vast knowledge in the gaps found within. I'm not degrading TCMA I'm just saying that one should look over the end of their own nose and see that there is always more to learn from others.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    What's the value to only test your skill against people from your own system? Will it be better to test your skill against people from other systems?

Your thought?
    Gung fu is a system that is supposed to give you an edge over an opponent. Fighting someone with your same skills can be difficult at best as he knows your moves too. In all my life I have never met another man that was trained in my fighting system, outside my own family. I tend to think it works best against other fighting systems, and most particularly against the untrained fellow that tends to want to box you. Everyone seems to have learned a few karate moves or some such, but only enough to get them into trouble. In about 40 years of using my skills I have not met anyone that was really trained to fight. I don't hang around gyms and dojos and kwoons either. In the 60's when I was in south vietnam I did meet a few mui thai fighters, but these little guys were a joke. I also knew some ROK guys that were into taikwando, but had no fear of them.
    Jackie Lee

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Fighting someone with your same skills can be difficult at best as he knows your moves too.
    When you spar people in your own style, since your opponent is also very familiar with your set up, it makes your move harder to apply. Even people in the same system may use different strategy too.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-31-2013 at 11:40 PM.

In about 40 years of using my skills I have not met anyone that was really trained to fight.
    And we come to the heart of the problem.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    In about 40 years of using my skills I have not met anyone that was really trained to fight
    you are really full of yourself.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Two things

1. variation 2. combo

Even within the same system

It can be hard to deal with.

For example, there are five strikes in Tong bei. they are equated to five elements.

We do not do just one. Yes we may repeat the same strike left and right on and on.

We do two to three different strikes at top, mid and low back to back.

We may vary them in 24 ways or more randomly.

They are fakes, and set ups just to get close to throw.

For example, we do a right throw palm at top to invite the opponent to defend his top, while we introduce a left mid punch and low kick etc.

Our right throw palm may turn around to become a grab and pull hand.

Vary and combine your moves randomly.

On and on.

Change or vary your tactics and strategy with your moves even both you are in the same system.

Can be quite a challenge and fun.

Your thought?
    It depends on what you are trying to do, if you are ' trying to be stronger and faster, then other styles doing the same game will be benificial for your training.

Your thought?
    Know your enemy.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Gung fu is a system that is supposed to give you an edge over an opponent. Fighting someone with your same skills can be difficult at best as he knows your moves too. In all my life I have never met another man that was trained in my fighting system, outside my own family. I tend to think it works best against other fighting systems, and most particularly against the untrained fellow that tends to want to box you. Everyone seems to have learned a few karate moves or some such, but only enough to get them into trouble. In about 40 years of using my skills I have not met anyone that was really trained to fight. I don't hang around gyms and dojos and kwoons either. In the 60's when I was in south vietnam I did meet a few mui thai fighters, but these little guys were a joke. I also knew some ROK guys that were into taikwando, but had no fear of them.
    It amazes me how you still try to sell yourself like this.
    I admire your delusions !
    They have quite the staying power.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    you are really full of ****
    fixed that for you
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

"Full of Stars?" Isn't that a line from 2001 A Space Odyssey?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Know your enemy.
    Word....... Engaging a giant unknown is reckless. I like to think I'm smarter than that. When I was like 15 I read the art of war for the first time, and that was one part that really stuck with me. Coupled with choosing your moments, if you know what I mean. Patience, changing tactics frequently, knowing when to be aggressive and when to be passive etc etc...

But as far as sparring is concerned, I welcome any style, or no style at all. I like to test myself against anyone willing. Within reason, of course. It's always nice to get a reality check. It's all progress. Nothing more frustrating than being completely shut down by a grappler though. Getting punched out is refreshing compared to having some cat manhandle you but not really hurting you.