Thread: Sword Master

Sword Master

Hmm, no thread on Death Duel here yet. Well, that was 1977.
    Bullet sequel, Johnnie To musical approved
    By Kevin Ma
    Fri, 27 December 2013, 16:00 PM (HKT)
    Production News

The November lists of approved scripts by China's State Administration of Press, Publication, Radio, Film and Television (SAPPRFT) 國家新聞出版廣電總局 is heavy on new projects from Hong Kong directors. The list was published in two stages.

Originally approved as a local production in February, Johnnie TO 杜琪峰's musical Contemporary Musical Design for Living 華麗上班族 has now been re-approved as a co-production by Beijing Hairun Pictures Co Ltd 北京海潤影業有限公司, Edko Films Ltd 安樂影片有限公司 and Milkyway Image (HK) Ltd 銀河映像(香港)有限公司. Sylvia CHANG 張艾嘉, who wrote the musical (pictured) that the film is based on, is listed as writer. Chang, CHOW Yun-fat 周潤發 and Eason CHAN 陳奕迅 are set to star.

Derek YEE 爾冬陞's long-gestating adaptation of KU Lung 古龍's 三少爺的劍 (literally, "Third Master's Sword") has been approved as a co-production under Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司. TSUI Hark 徐克 serves as producer of the 3-D martial arts film, and production is set to begin in January. Yee starred in Death Duel 三少爺的劍 (1977), an adaptation of the same novel.

Longtime Yee collaborator LO Chi-leung 羅志良 appears on the month's second list with 消失的兇手 (literally, "The Killer Vanishes'). Lo confirmed on his Weibo microblog that it is a sequel to 2012's The Bullet Vanishes 消失的子彈. The project is once again set up under Le Vision Pictures Co Ltd 樂視影業(北京)有限公司 , with Lo and YEUNG Sin-ling 楊倩玲 serving again as writers.

We Pictures Ltd 我們製作有限公司 and 北京快樂新升文化傳播有限公司 have obtained co-production approval for 家 (literally, "Home"), a drama about an estranged couple's search for their missing son. Director Peter CHAN 陳可辛 told local media in September that he was preparing a film about kidnapping.

Mei Ah Media (Beijing) Co Ltd 美亞長城傳媒(北京)有限公司 has obtained approval for 下一站,好声音 (literally, "Next Stop, The Voice"), the new project by Hong Kong's Joe MA 馬偉豪. The Chinese title implies a connection to Ma's decade-old comedy Diva... Ah Hey 下一站⋯天后 (2003).

Meanwhile, Sil-Metropole Organisation Ltd 銀都機構有限公司 has obtained official permission for Patrick KONG 葉念琛's romantic comedy Delete DELETE愛人 (starring Michael HUI 許冠文 and WONG Cho-lam 王祖藍) and PANG Ho-cheung 彭浩翔's Aberdeen 曼珠莎華. Both films are currently in post-production.

The first list also includes an adaptation of autobiographical novel 誰的青春不迷茫 (literally, "Whose Youth was Not Confusing"), produced by Beijing Enlight Pictures Co Ltd 北京光線影業有限公司 and written by novelist LIU Tong 劉同. TIAN Yusheng 田羽生, whose Ex-Files 前任攻略 is set for release by Huayi Brothers Media Corporation 華誼兄弟傳媒股份有限公司 on 31 Jan, has set up 姿本運作 (literally, "Posture Operation", a take on the phrase "Capital Operation" in Chinese) at New Classics Media Corporation 新麗傳媒股份有限公司.
    Wait, Johnny To is doing a musical with Chow Yun Fat??
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Now titled The Swordmaster

The Chinese title is the same. I'll change the English later...as it gets closer and more firm.

Derek Yee begins 3-D Sword Master shoot
    By Kevin Ma
    Mon, 21 April 2014, 22:00 PM (HKT)
    Production News

Derek YEE 爾冬陞 has started production on his 3-D martial arts action film The Sword Master 三少爺的劍.

Based on the KU Lung 古龍 wuxia novel, the Bona Film Group Co Ltd 博納影業集團有限公司 and Film Unlimited Production Co Ltd 無限映畫電影製作有限公司 production is the story of a retired master swordsman who is forced to return to the martial arts world and end his feud with a formidable nemesis. The adaptation is co-written by TSUI Hark 徐克, Yee and Yee's frequent collaborator CHUN Tin-nam 秦天南.

Tsui also serves as the film's producer.

The film stars LIN Gengxin 林更新 as the retired swordsman, Peter HO 何卓榮 as his nemesis Yan Shisan, as well as actresses JIANG Yiyan 江一燕 and JIANG Mengjie 蔣夢婕. 26-year-old Lin had a supporting role in last year's Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon 狄仁杰之神都龍王 and co-stars in the forthcoming My Old Classmate 同桌的妳 and Black & White: The Dawn of Justice 痞子英雄 黎明再起.

The film's relative lack of star wattage reportedly set off a wide range of reactions on China's social media platforms, prompting Yee to defend his casting decision on his Sina Weibo microblog.

"If a collaboration between Tsui Hark and I still need big stars to get you to waste your time and spend your money on a ticket, then we might as well pack up, go home, drink whiskey and shoot the breeze," Yee wrote, "It doesn't matter who's acting in the film. Tsui Hark and I are the top stars of the film!"

The Sword Master is currently shooting in Hengdian Studio.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sword Master - August 9

Derek Yee returns to martial arts films as director
    chinadaily.com.cn, June 6, 2016

Almost 40 years after Derek Yee shot to prominence starring in the 1977 film Death Duel, he returns to the genre as a director.

Actresses Jiang Mengjie (left), Bao Qijing (center) and Jiang Yiyan. [Photo provided to China Daily]

Sword Master, a remake of the 1977 classic, will open in Chinese mainland theaters on Aug 9.

The producer Tsui Hark and director Yee are both known for Hong Kong martial arts films.

Yee, who shifted to directing from acting in early 1980s, then went on to win a series of top awards in the Hong Kong film industry.

In the latest movie which is based on Taiwan novelist Gu Long's book, San Shaoye De Jian (Sword of the Third Master), the story is about the inner struggles of a martial arts genius who gets tired of fighting.

Then, after leaving the martial arts world to live a simple life, he is forced to pick up his sword again to rescue his friends.

The makers of the film, which stars mainland actor Lin Gengxin, actresses Jiang Yiyan and Jiang Mengjie and Hong Kong Academy Awards' best actress Nina Paw, recently released posters of the movie and held a forum to discuss female roles in Gu's novels.

Jiang Fangzhou, a best-selling Chinese author, says Gu's uniqueness is that he introduces modern values into historical fiction.
    I'm changing the title of this thread from 'Third Master's Sword 三少爺的劍' to 'Sword Master' now.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

U.S. theatrical release opens TODAY

Courtesy of Well Go USA

US THEATER LOCATIONS

December 9, 2016

NEW YORK CITY

AMC Empire 25
    234 West 42nd Street
    New York, NY 10036

College Point Multiplex Cinemas
    2855 Ulmer St
    Flushing, NY 11354

LOS ANGELES

AMC Atlantic Times Square
    450 N Atlantic Blvd
    Monterey Park, CA 91754
    (626) 407-0240

AMC Tustin 14 at The District
    2457 Park Ave
    Tustin, CA 92782
    (714) 258-7036

AMC Orange 30
    20 City Blvd West
    Orange, CA 92868

ATLANTA

Regal Cinemas Hollywood 24
    3265 Northeast Expy NE
    Chamblee, GA 30341
    (844) 462-7342

BOSTON

AMC Loews Boston Common 19
    175 Tremont St
    Boston, MA 02111
    (617) 423-5801

CHICAGO

AMC River East 21
    322 East Illinois Street
    Chicago, IL 60611
    (312) 596-0333

COLUMBUS

AMC Lennox Town Center 24
    777 Kinnear Rd
    Columbus, OH 43212

WASHINGTON, D.C.

Regal Cinemas Rockville Center 13
    199 E Montgomery Ave
    Rockville, MD 20850

DETROIT

NCG Eastwood Cinemas
    2500 Showtime Dr.
    Lansing, Michigan 48912

HAWAII

Pearlridge West 16
    98-1005 Moanalua Road
    Aiea, HI 96701
    (808) 483-5339

HOUSTON

AMC Studio 30
    2949 Dunvale
    Houston, TX 77063
    (713) 977-4431

PHILADELPHIA

AMC Broadstreet 7
    1600 N Broad St
    Philadelphia, PA

MADISON

AMC Fitchburg 18
    6091 McKee Rd
    Fitchburg, WI 53719
    (608) 270-9036

PHOENIX

AMC Centerpoint 11
    730 South Mill Ave
    Tempe, AZ 85281
    (480) 207-2534

SAN DIEGO

AMC Mission Valley 20
    1640 Camino Del Rio N
    San Diego, CA 92108

SAN FRANCISCO / BAY AREA

AMC Van Ness 14
    1000 Van Ness Ave
    San Francisco, CA 94109

AMC Cupertino Square 16
    10123 N Wolfe Rd
    Cupertino, CA 95014
    (408) 252-5960

SEATTLE

AMC Pacific Place 11
    600 Pine Street - Ste 400
    Seattle, WA 98101
    (206) 652-8908

LAS VEGAS

AMC Town Square 18
    6587 Las Vegas Blvd South
    Las Vegas, NV 89119
    (702) 362-7283

INDIANAPOLIS

AMC Showplace Bloomington 11
    1351 S College Mall Rd
    Bloomington, IN 47401

DALLAS

Cinemark Legacy
    7201 North Central Expressway
    Plano, TX 75025
    (972) 527-4385

TUCSON

Century 20 El Con Mall
    3601 E Broadway Blvd
    Tucson, AZ 85716
    (520) 202-3358

CANADA THEATER LOCATIONS

December 9, 2016
    TORONTO

Cineplex Cinemas Markham & VIP
    79 Enterprise Blvd #169
    Markham, ON L6G 0E7, Canada
    BUY TICKETS
    Cineplex Cinemas Yonge Dundas
    10 Dundas Street East #402
    Toronto, ON M5B 2G9, Canada
    (416) 977-9262

VANCOUVER

Cineplex Cinemas SilverCity Riverport
    14211 Entertainment Way
    Richmond, BC V6W 1K4, Canada

ALBERTA

Cineplex South Edmonton Crossing
    1525-99th Street NW
    Edmonton, AB, T6N1K5

CALGARY

Cineplex Odeon Crowfoot Crossing
    91 Crowfoot Terrace NW
    Calgary, AB, T3G 2L5
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

You know what I like in movies? Sword fights. So yeah, I liked this film even though it's cheesey and I don't really know what happened.

Sword Master is based on a classic wuxia novel - The 3rd Masters Sword - which I've never read it. I'm not sure it's ever been translated. Wuxia is pulp fiction for China, so this is like a comic book movie. Lots of flying about and feats of superpower swordsmanship. There was a drunk swordsman with facial tattoos (or scars) who slept in a coffin, his toady lacky who collected the swords of his fallen, a central brothel location, a beatific village, giving poor villagers, a prostitute with a heart of gold, a reluctant champion, male sword clans, female sword clans, heavy-metal skull mask sword clans, cheesy CGI landscapes, gaudy sets and period costumes, a sword seduction fight, digital blood, lots and lots of sword fights. Some hysterical swordplay - stabbing 3 attackers like a shish-kabob, digital decapitation, being surrounded at sword point and spin-cutting so fast as to break all the surrounding swords, practice on trees where logs are sliced into many pieces in air - yeah, gotta work on *those* Kung Fu techniques. It was a bit heavy on the dialog at points. I enjoyed the flying swordplay and the general feel of how the wulin was portrayed, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's fant-ASIA, so you gotta take it from that comic-book, park-your-brain-outside kind of entertainment.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for Sword Master on DVD! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 4/27/17.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll have to check this out...whenever I'm able to, especially since it's directed by Derek Yee. Derek Yee was one of the leading actors in many of the Shaw Brothers wuxia films directed by Chu Yuan (Cantonese: Chor Yuen). Several of Chu Yuan's films are among my favorite wuxias. Yee as director creates a connection to those old movies for me. It won't be the same, though. There was something about those old movies that can never be recaptured, especially with all the CGI nowadays. I might be in the minority, but I really liked those amazing Shaw Brothers indoor sets with the indoor waterfalls, the painted skies and the fake suns/moons, etc. Sure, the more dance-like sword fights in Chu Yuan's wuxias weren't 'awesome' or epic by any means, but I just took that as part of that type of film.

Many wuxia films based on novels are confusing to many people, especially Westerners, because they presuppose that the audience already has some level of familiarity with the characters. Some are just confusing, especially if there are a ton of characters. For example, I found Chu's Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre (part 1) to be confusing and slow.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 04-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips