Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sparring Without Injury

wearing good gear and not having a mental patient as your partner
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Kind of an aside to the "Sparring without Instructor" thread.

I find that when I spar with medium or heavier contact, I frequently get injured. Right now I'm nearly recovered from a frustrating month with a badly bruised rib.
    Light sparring is fun and fine, and what I usually do, but lacks the feel of "reality."

For those of you who spar hard on a regular basis, what do you do to avoid injuries?
    Conditioning is key to preventing injury.
    Not that it's a panacea, but it helps a lot to condition your body to be struck via various methods.

Sparring is almost never going to be a scenario where injuries do not occur.
    The important thing is to not spar with ego. Because that turns into a quick pile of shyte an detracts from learning.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I find that when I spar with medium or heavier contact, I frequently get injured. Right now I'm nearly recovered from a frustrating month with a badly bruised rib.
    Light sparring is fun and fine, and what I usually do, but lacks the feel of "reality."

For those of you who spar hard on a regular basis, what do you do to avoid injuries?

Do you do any grappling? You will suffer less injuries if you include grappling sparring into your training.

@GoldenBrain: Thanks man, good tips. I'm 5'8", between 135-140lbs...before starting kung fu and getting mabu thighs, I weighed 125 lbs for years. BTW I do smile a lot when sparring, it's a game after all.

@SavvySavage: I usually spar with both striking and grappling...I find this can be problematic though, as striking is usually done with reduced power and grappling is not...can be misleading and also difficult for people to keep adjusting their force output.

@everyone: Thanks. Seems like iron body conditioning is a must...but that's going to take some time to make a difference, so any other suggestions to keep going in the meantime are appreciated.

I know there's been a thread on sparring gear before...When I spar I usually just wear cup, mouthguard, light shin pads and mma gloves (or nothing for light sparring). Sometimes I will wear boxing gloves for heavier hitting. Any thoughts on chest guards? Would have saved my ribs this last time, but I hate the lack of mobility. I also want to know when I get hit.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    ............. Thus, proper sparring leads to not sparring.
    thus, practise your forms more.....
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Quote Originally Posted by SavvySavage View Post
    Do you do any grappling? You will suffer less injuries if you include grappling sparring into your training.
    Not fer nuthin but I've had more injuries from grappling than sparring.
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

@GoldenBrain: Thanks man, good tips. I'm 5'8", between 135-140lbs...before starting kung fu and getting mabu thighs, I weighed 125 lbs for years. BTW I do smile a lot when sparring, it's a game after all.

@everyone: Thanks. Seems like iron body conditioning is a must...but that's going to take some time to make a difference, so any other suggestions to keep going in the meantime are appreciated.

I know there's been a thread on sparring gear before...When I spar I usually just wear cup, mouthguard, light shin pads and mma gloves (or nothing for light sparring). Sometimes I will wear boxing gloves for heavier hitting. Any thoughts on chest guards? Would have saved my ribs this last time, but I hate the lack of mobility. I also want to know when I get hit.

You're not that small at 5'8", but you are light and probably quick so use that to your advantage. Dance around, wait for the openings and capitalize. I use hard blocking like elbows to top of feet and ankles when people kick to high towards my mid section. It's easy to just drop an elbow and check that kick. In friendly sparring I don't block low kicks with my knees very often, so as to keep from causing the kind of injury that what we just saw in the UFC but that is always on the table for those who are trying to hurt you. I will sometimes put my knee pads on just to work on that, but normally I just try to block kicks with kicks or soak them up on my shins. I also strike at points on the arms as people throw punches. The top of the forearm at the top of the radius and the inside of the wrist at the bottom of the radius as well as the inside of the biceps at the brachial are favorite targets. This usually slows down my opponents and gives them pause for thought before throwing the next strike.

I think you'll be surprised at how fast you'll see results from iron body training. I'd say if you're consistent you'll start seeing results within just a few weeks. And, from there it just gets better and better. Iron hand conditioning is the same. I found my striking was much harder, to the point that I had to pull back more of my power, after only a few weeks of the conditioning. I'm sure you've seen warnings from other members on this forum about doing this kind of conditioning incorrectly so keep that in mind.

I only use a custom fitted by a dentist mouth guard, various types of gloves and the nicest cup/compression shorts combo I could find. I used to wear light weight shin guards but now my shins are like diamonds so I haven't bothered with that in years. We wear mat shoes so only the bare footed students have to wear foot pads. This is really only to protect our feet. We don't have that many injuries in our school other than bruises and nose bleeds because we absolutely live by the motto of fight to the lesser opponents ability. Sometimes though, as careful as we are there are some rude injuries, but that's mostly on the higher level belt test. I do bang it out with some of my MMA buddies but I don't think I'd recommend anybody roll with the heavy hitters like that outside of their school until they have reached a high level of skill or hit a plateau in their own school. It's great experience to spar with people outside of your school but if you are still being challenged by your teacher or others of higher rank then what's the point. Stay in the relatively safe environment that you know.

Any thoughts on chest guards? Would have saved my ribs this last time, but I hate the lack of mobility. I also want to know when I get hit.
    i think if you wear the taekwondo ones then your mobility will be ****

maybe something like this would be better:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-Advanc...item2ec9b3b899

i've only used a cheap 60rmb chest protector before, it had good mobility and you could still feel the hits it just took the edge off really and at least i never broke a rib

edit: well, the one i posted is apprently a TKD one too, only looked at the pic haha looks lighter than others though
    Last edited by Pete; 01-06-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    I guess we are who we are

I think I would wait until fully recovered before doing any more sparring. I think most people use head and hand gear to sort of reduce injuries, but you will not likely escape that all together. I used to watch a small group from my apt window as they trained in a small back patio. They never sparred at all, but did a great number of forms. They would make up forms and practice them. One day I asked one of the students if they sparred and he said no, because sooner or later someone would be injured. This is why they did lots of forms and make believe fighting. They could get serious without injuring anyone.
    And when I was a young man I asked about it to my father, and he told me that same thing. Kung fu has to be used with intent. You have to apply it like you mean it or it is pretty much useless. And if you are doing it with a partner you stand a good chance of injury as well as your partner. I really don't think you are going to get too far away from injury if you continue to spar. Just gots to be real careful and hope your partner is.
    Jackie Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    I think I would wait until fully recovered before doing any more sparring. I think most people use head and hand gear to sort of reduce injuries, but you will not likely escape that all together. I used to watch a small group from my apt window as they trained in a small back patio. They never sparred at all, but did a great number of forms. They would make up forms and practice them. One day I asked one of the students if they sparred and he said no, because sooner or later someone would be injured. This is why they did lots of forms and make believe fighting. They could get serious without injuring anyone.
    And when I was a young man I asked about it to my father, and he told me that same thing. Kung fu has to be used with intent. You have to apply it like you mean it or it is pretty much useless. And if you are doing it with a partner you stand a good chance of injury as well as your partner. I really don't think you are going to get too far away from injury if you continue to spar. Just gots to be real careful and hope your partner is.
    Thanks Lee. Nice to see you posting again. After that long hiatus I was afraid you weren't with us anymore...Hope you're holding up OK now.

I understand it's not possible to spar (or train, or play any sport at all) without injury...just looking for ways to reduce the frequency of injury. Speaking of which, I'm embarrassed to say it, but yesterday I jammed three fingers on my right hand trying to catch a kick. Not even sparring, just a defense drill. Just when my ribs were almost better. I guess there's no cure for being an uncoordinated putz. Pretty swollen today, but they look straight.

As far as not sparring or doing partner work to avoid injury... Well, I actually have no problem with people training that way, but it's not for me (not this decade anyway). While I agree that sparring has a different mind set than real combat, sparring seems to be the only way to test/develop my ability to apply what I practice...short of becoming a mob street enforcer ... which I imagine has its own risks and injuries.

Good topic.

First, ask ourself and have a clear understanding of what you are going to do. That is what is the goal of sparring? What the rules are?

Second, is there sufficient prevention of injury, like wearing protection gears?

Third, besides the skills of sparring, is the ethics of the students good enough?

Lastly, I would like to refer to an opinion on sparring from Bruce Lee - do not take part in such training too often, one or two sessions per week will be top. It coincides with the point made by another forum member in his post. The logic lies in the Law of Average. The more we spar, the more injury will likely be accumulated by us. So give our mind and body some rest. Take care!

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

1 safety rules.

2 use protective gears

3 a third person to intervene or ref

4 common sense

--

I hate to use gloves. However, they prevent scratching from nails.

If point sparring, touch or dab with powder or color paint instead of a heavy strike.

If throw, you are on the ground, you lose.

etc etc

I favor drilling a lot with people; if in moderate sparring someone works something on me enough, then I drill defenses to this with them so that I can work the defense against the attack as it works, and they improve that tech in kind, thus making me improve the defense. Then, they are also drilled on my defense and come up with responses. From the drills, we sort of inoculate each other to each others' responses so that the overall sparring is safer(relatively speaking). Especially because we become intimately familiar with the repercussions of not shutting down tech x, so we recognize failure instead of being unaware of it until hard sparring.

If I'm sparring hard with someone whose responses I'm unfamiliar with and who is unfamiliar with mine, I'm asking to be hurt or to hurt them. If, however, we spar at a moderate pace and drill what we learn from this, we improve a lot more, imo.

To learn from hard sparring is important, but to learn from it what can be learned from more moderate sparring and drills is not very smart. Hard sparring is for learning the lessons that only apply at that level. Sparring hard without drills and shadowboxing extensively first is a waste of time. People stick with their strongest points and don't learn their weaknesses then. They depend on the other person being shut down by a limited repertoire rather than using the practice to expand their ideas, imo.

If someone works something on me in sparring, and I don't take the opportunity to figure out good counters and drill them with the person who makes the move work, then what am I training for?
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 01-15-2014 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    I favor drilling a lot with people; if in moderate sparring someone works something on me enough, then I drill defenses to this with them so that I can work the defense against the attack as it works, and they improve that tech in kind, thus making me improve the defense. Then, they are also drilled on my defense and come up with responses. From the drills, we sort of inoculate each other to each others' responses so that the overall sparring is safer(relatively speaking). Especially because we become intimately familiar with the repercussions of not shutting down tech x, so we recognize failure instead of being unaware of it until hard sparring.

If I'm sparring hard with someone whose responses I'm unfamiliar with and who is unfamiliar with mine, I'm asking to be hurt or to hurt them. If, however, we spar at a moderate pace and drill what we learn from this, we improve a lot more, imo.

To learn from hard sparring is important, but to learn from it what can be learned from more moderate sparring and drills is not very smart. Hard sparring is for learning the lessons that only apply at that level. Sparring hard without drills and shadowboxing extensively first is a waste of time. People stick with their strongest points and don't learn their weaknesses then. They depend on the other person being shut down by a limited repertoire rather than using the practice to expand their ideas, imo.

If someone works something on me in sparring, and I don't take the opportunity to figure out good counters and drill them with the person who makes the move work, then what am I training for?

***APPLAUSE***

This is a great method that I totally agree with. Good stuff there Faux Newbie!

Yes. Excellent post there, FN.