Thread: MMA Fighter Kills Invader

MMA Fighter Kills Invader

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

He'll get off with self-defense / protecting his home and family from a home invasion.
    Well done IMO.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Beat me to the punch, Kellen

I was just about to post this in our SSA thread.

MMA fighter fends off four attackers, killing one during home invasion: police
    New Mexico lightweight Joseph Torrez turned the tables on the reputed gangsters when the thugs forced their way past his fiancee into the Las Cruces mobile home, authorities say.
    By Doyle Murphy / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Sunday, January 5, 2014, 6:26 PM

Joseph Torrez via Facebook

Mixed Martial Arts fighter Joseph Torrez killed one man, hospitalized another and scared off two others while protecting his wife and toddler, authorities say.

A New Mexico mixed martial artist won the fight of his life — outside the ring.

Joseph Torrez, 27, repelled a home invasion, killing one man, injuring another so badly he left in an ambulance and persuading two others to run in fear, authorities said.

Torrez and the men clashed on New Year’s Day at his home outside of Las Cruces, reportedly part of an ongoing feud.

One of the attackers, 22-year-old Leonard Calvillo, called ahead to threaten Torrez, the Las Cruces Sun-News reported, citing court documents.

Mixed Martial Arts fighter Joseph Torrez fought off four men who broke into his house, killing one and putting one in the hospital, authorities say.

“I’ll kill you and your family ... I’ll go to your house,” Calvillo reportedly said.

Calvillo arrived shortly after with 20-year-old Nathan Avalos and brothers Sal and Raymond Garces and pounded on Torrez’s door, authorities said.

Torrez’s fiancee, son and the fiancee’s sister were all home at the time, authorities said.

Doña Ana County Sheriff's Office
    Sal Garces, 25, was killed when he and three other men busted into a mixed martial artist’s home, authorities say.

The fiancee leaned against the door of the mobile home, trying to keep them out, but they busted through, authorities said.

There they met Torrez, a 155-pound lightweight with a record of one win and five losses, according to the fight website SherDog.com.

The four men are all gang members, a Dona Ana County Sheriff’s spokeswoman said.

C.J. McElhinney, an attorney for Torrez, told the Sun-News witness said the attackers brought a crude shank and one picked up a knife once they forced their way inside.

Leonard Calvillo reportedly threatened to kill a mixed martial artist and his family, but the supposed victim turned the tables, killing one of the men Cavillo brought as backup and hospitalizing another, authorities say.

Sal Garces, 25, was stabbed to death during the fight. Avalos suffered “severe” facial injuries and was taken to a New Mexico hospital, authorities said.

Torrez endured only minor injuries, his lawyer said.

Calvillo and Raymond Garces were both arrested on charges of conspiracy and property damage after they ran from the house.

Raymond Garces faces conspiracy and property damage charges following a deadly home invasion.

Calvillo was also charged with aggravated battery.

Torrez could face charges in the death of Sal Garces, authorities said.

His lawyer said Torrez was only defending himself and his family.

“He was fighting for his life,” McElhinney told the Sun-News.

Mixed Martial Arts fighter Joseph Torrez has an unimpressive record in the ring, but he was too much for four men who reportedly busted into his family’s house.

Neighbors told KFOX 14 Torrez moved out rapidly after the fight.

Four or five trucks showed up overnight, and the family cleared out, a neighbor told the station.

With News Wire Services

dmmurphy@ndailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz2pdTsGALJ
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

IMO, it's ridiculous if he gets charged for defending his and his family's lives. If ever there were a case for legal self-defense, this is it.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    hope he doesn't get any charges.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

s_r called it

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    He'll get off with self-defense / protecting his home and family from a home invasion.
    MMA Fighter Learns His Fate After Taking on 4 Gang Members and Killing 1

Mixed martial artist Joseph Torrez proved his strength by taking on four gang members who broke into his New Mexico house and ending the life of one of them.

Now, prosecutors are saying that he’s proved his innocence as well. They’re declining to charge him for the death of the criminal he killed.

The Las Cruces District Attorney’s office announced that their investigation found Torrez was within his rights to kill 25-year-old Sal Garces on New Year’s Day of 2014.

They also said that additional evidence from the Dona Ana County Sheriff’s Office served to help exonerate Torrez in the matter.

The incident took place at 2 a.m. on Jan. 1, when four known gang members broke into the MMA star’s home in Las Cruces, N.M.

The four men were identified as Sal Garces, 25, Raymond Garces, 19, Nathan Avalos, 20, and Leonard Calvillo, 22. One of them was armed with what witnesses described as a “crude shank” and another grabbed a knife upon entering the home.

However, that wasn’t nearly enough to stop Torrez, who was able to fight all of them off. Garces died of his injuries, while Calvillo was hospitalized with serious facial injuries.

“He was fighting for his life,” said C.J. McElhinney, Torrez’s attorney.

These are three of the people who broke into Torrez’s house in prior mug shots. From left to right — Calvillo, Raymond Garces, and the deceased Sal Garces.

Torrez’s case became a cause celebre among self-defense activists, with money raised for his defense online. Eventually, it would prove unnecessary, as the MMA fighter wasn’t charged (H/T Mad World News).

We may not all be be MMA fighters, but we’re able to arm and protect ourselves against intruders like these four.

And, as this case shows, that can sometimes be the difference between life and death.
    Good to see our justice system worked this time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I live outside las cruces. We have been expecting this stuff to happen more and yes,
    "That's R Dawg!" as they say.
    Another one of those paradoxes where we have a most pretty and enchanting place filled with laid back, delightful people, organic gardens and gong fu - but we kill crud out of each other a lot. Lotsa lotsa shootabasta I even think we're a statistic.
    But come and tell us it isn't like magic living here. People.

Lotsa lotsa kill them back
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    I live outside las cruces. We have been expecting this stuff to happen more and yes,
    "That's R Dawg!" as they say.
    Another one of those paradoxes where we have a most pretty and enchanting place filled with laid back, delightful people, organic gardens and gong fu - but we kill crud out of each other a lot. Lotsa lotsa shootabasta I even think we're a statistic.
    But come and tell us it isn't like magic living here. People.

Lotsa lotsa kill them back
    Albuquerque at night may have been the scariest place I have ever been. I wished I was carrying that night. Thankfully all went well.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Albuquerque at night may have been the scariest place I have ever been. I wished I was carrying that night. Thankfully all went well.
    You are totally right ....querque is everyone a target - you get the shopping yes, but not so much the delightful laid back people
    Half our whole state is in Albuquerque and citizen flight seems to be ocurring. Not just gringos, natives and mexicans kinda "leaving the pace"
    The other place is soccorro. If you came for cartel and have your affairs in order you can go to soccorro.
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Quote Originally Posted by curenado View Post
    You are totally right ....querque is everyone a target - you get the shopping yes, but not so much the delightful laid back people
    Half our whole state is in Albuquerque and citizen flight seems to be ocurring. Not just gringos, natives and mexicans kinda "leaving the pace"
    The other place is soccorro. If you came for cartel and have your affairs in order you can go to soccorro.

I was just passing through and spent the night. Long ago. Vowed I won't be back there. I've been in some fairly hairy spots in TJ. But none felt worse than Albuquerque.

Side note, if we legalize drugs. The Cartel may leave. Or perhaps just change their focus. I don't know. Scary stuff. And perhaps your suggestion for body guards in such an area is not that " off " after all.