Thread: "I am because we are"

Hybrid View

"I am because we are"

I found this to be an inspiring story. It seems we in the west know only competition, but what a wonderful world it would be if everybody acted like this.

Photo by Gregg Braden:
    Name:  African Tribe.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  58.5 KB

An anthropologist proposed a game to the kids in an African tribe. He put a basket full of fruit near a tree and told the kids that who ever got there first won the sweet fruits. When he told them to run they all took each others hands and ran together, then sat together enjoying their treats. When he asked them why they had run like that as one could have had all the fruits for himself they said: ''UBUNTU, how can one of us be happy if all the other ones are sad?''
    'UBUNTU' in the Xhosa culture means: "I am because we are"

Pretty cool. We are more of a "we do because we can" kinda people. Whole different vibe.

Here's some relevent research.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/34139997
    Last edited by -N-; 01-05-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Here's some relevent research.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/34139997
    That was cool. I think we as a people would love to just be peaceful, chill out and smoke a doobe or whatever proclivity you like, but the few of us that don't want that f@ck it all up. Lets bring back tar and feathering and run these aZZholes who are against peace and harmony outta here. *utopian dream*

Cool topic.

Highly competitive societies are not only in the West, but also in countries like Japan, China, and others. Oftentimes, it's found that people from cultures (or just individuals) who may not be rich but feel truly fulfilled in their lives, their relationships to others, etc., are far happier than many of those who are usually seen as the paragons of success (wealth, power, etc.). With much of that also comes greater stress, and a lack of satisfaction/appreciation for what one already has. The quest to gain more becomes never ending.

I heard somewhere that the U.S. doesn't rank anywhere near the 'happiest' of nations, and that Japan (excluding Okinawa) ranks at or near the bottom in happiness. I'm not sure how they come up with these figures, and I'm sure they're generalities, but I don't find it too hard to believe.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 01-07-2014 at 01:28 AM.

This is the trailer for the film I saw about happiness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDkv6Mi8JrI&sns=em

I would highly recommend it if you can see it.