Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Did Wong sheung Leung lost a challenge match to a Chow Gar mantis practioner

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    It comes through experience, just like the WSL gaang-sau story. Fact is, jam-sau is underused by many now who apparently rely on being spoon fed.
    Jum Sau is a punch using the concept of Fook Sau to me but I appreciate that there are many other lineages that use it for other things and they all think they are right and others are wrong as well!!
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Anyone know of a good chow gar clip with this hammer fist ?
    Sifu Paul Whitrod has a whole dvd on "specialty fists" like the PE fist, the hammer fist, the ginger fist and so forth.
    Not bad at all.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Sifu Paul Whitrod has a whole dvd on "specialty fists" like the PE fist, the hammer fist, the ginger fist and so forth.
    Not bad at all.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authenticity of old war stories in internet forum chats can be problematic- so no comment on the chow gar story.

PE, Hammer and ginger fist are not unknown in wing chun and not imported from chow gar.
    They are present seamlessly in the biu gee and the mok jong work that I learned.

Blog Entries

the hands of southern praying mantis are very similar to hands in wing chun

Last edited by kung fu fighter; 01-10-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    ---------------------------------------------------

Yes but different engines in use and none of the bobbing and ducking needed in wing chun.

By the way there have been successful wing chun people in full contact against muay thai in the Ho Kam Ming line-
    including Lam Fai ming who also became a full contact champion in Hong Kong.
    ..using wing chun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    Yes but different engines in use and none of the bobbing and ducking needed in wing chun.
    I agree! WCK use of elbow force power generation and snake engine are superior to SPM's engine in my opinion.

By the way there have been successful wing chun people in full contact against muay thai in the Ho Kam Ming line-
    including Lam Fai ming who also became a full contact champion in Hong Kong.
    ..using wing chun.
    To be Honest I was impressed with Lui Min Fai's use of elbow force and structure, but definately did not think much of his footwork starting at 7:08 into this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlZTsCikeJ4, he adopted sloppy boxing footwork instead of sticking to WCK footwork. I think the use of Footwork in WSL's linage is superior to Lui Min Fai's. However I respect him for getting in there with thais and winning some matches.

Does Tam Tam apply his WCK footwork similarly to Lui Min Fai?
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 01-10-2014 at 04:42 PM.

I agree! WCK use of elbow force power generation and snake engine are superior to SPM's engine in my opinion.

To be Honest I was impressed with Lui Min Fai's use of elbow force and structure, but definately did not think much of his footwork starting at 7:08 into this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlZTsCikeJ4, he adopted sloppy boxing footwork instead of sticking to WCK footwork. I think the use of Footwork in WSL's linage is superior to Lui Min Fai's. However I respect him for getting in there with thais and winning some matches.

Does Tam Tam apply his WCK footwork similarly to Lui Min Fai?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lam Fai Ming was far superior. But Luis is just playing with a novice-it is not a match.

Blog Entries
    Lam Fai Ming was far superior. But Luis is just playing with a novice-it is not a match.
    Do you have any clips of Lam Fai Ming that you can post?

Looks more like a biacth slap. Not too much info on vt fighters fighting Thais, side stance limits a lot of attacks on our lead leg.
    fast forward to 3.05 in this clip, not quite a ***** slap lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    fast forward to 3.05 in this clip, not quite a ***** slap lol
    At 3.05 into this clip is a textbook example of how gao choi (hammer fist) is applied in SPM, and what the writer was discribing happend in the challenge match between WSL and the Chow Gar SPM fighter.

At 3.05 into this clip is a textbook example of how gao choi (hammer fist) is applied in SPM, and what the writer was discribing happend in the challenge match between WSL and the Chow Gar SPM fighter.
    Looks powerful. The same rumor factory said wsl beat 9 praying mantis guys in one month, maybe they didn't exchange notes ?

Looks powerful. The same rumor factory said wsl beat 9 praying mantis guys in one month, maybe they didn't exchange notes ?
    really out of what school were they from, who was there teacher, and what were the challangers names?
    because this rumour did listed a school and a person who took part (so if anyone is inclined they could check i suppose) , only fair you do the same,

I am sorry, but I just cannot seem to get into really caring about whether or not WSL got beat by a Chow Gar guy or not.
    I don't think anyone would discount that WSL was a good, possibly great fighter. No one is unbeatable and it really is a numbers game. In other words if I have 100 fights and I lose ten of them then I am still at 90% and still impressive. Now if I had 100 fights and lost 90 of them it would be far less impressive. Based on the stories and the reputation of WC I would say that the former percentage is more likely than the later, but again does it matter?

Today we have too many who seem to want to ride the coattails of those who have proven themselves. If I studied with Sifu A then I must also be good because he won so many fights, etc. A great fighter is not always a good teacher, look to any sport and you can confirm this.

To me the important thing is whether or not the art you study meets your needs. If it does then that is all there is, as well as considering your motivation for training. If you want to present your way as a highly effective method of combat then you should be able to provide examples of your line in combat, not necessarily sport situations but street situation as well. And such examples should not be the vague references which are so often generated.

I am sorry but to me the important thing is whether what I do meets my needs, not whether or not Sifu A beat or was beaten some 50 years ago.

Just saying..............................
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Blog Entries
    There is a huge difference between southern and northern Praying mantis, they are completely different styles. SO i don't disagree that WSL probably beat 9 praying mantis guys, WSL had an impressive challenge fight record, however the only times i heard he lost was against this chow Gar SPM guy, against another guy in Tiwan where he got hit with a low strike, and possibly in the 1960's when a wing chun team of 16 fighters went to challenge some thaiboxers and all lost. Losing 3 out of something like 60 fights is not so bad. He is still the best wing chun fighter whom proved himself in my opinion.

There is a huge difference between southern and northern Praying mantis, they are completely different styles. SO i don't disagree that WSL probably beat 9 praying mantis guys, WSL had an impressive challenge fight record, however the only times i heard he lost was against this chow Gar SPM guy, against another guy in Tiwan where he got hit with a low strike, and possibly in the 1960's when a wing chun team of 16 fighters went to challenge some thaiboxers and all lost. Losing 3 out of something like 60 fights is not so bad. He is still the best wing chun fighter whom proved himself in my opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------
    WSL became the best known fighter in Ip Man's first generation of HK students.
    Whether he was the best or most knowledgeable- are matters of opinion.
    The wc/ muay thai students had a second round later- the wc guys did much better it seems.
    But in the larger scheme of things what an individual can do is what matters.