Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Did Wong sheung Leung lost a challenge match to a Chow Gar mantis practioner

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Wong sheung Leung almost killed in a challenge match by Chow Gar mantis practioner
    http://www.chowgar.freewebspace.com/wingchun.htm

"Chow Gar Mantis vs Wing Chun

Wong Shun Leung Visits Ip Sui's Kwoon

Before I begin this story, ...
    "
    For some reason Chinese Martial Arts are full of these [unverifiable] stories...They are worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    For some reason Chinese Martial Arts are full of these [unverifiable] stories...They are worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion.
    Indeed I've never come across a traditional martial art (Chinese or otherwise) where people say their school/system has a history of meeting challenges... and lost 50% of them

It's rather like how every Chinese MA was created after a) someone saw two animals humping, b) a General well-versed in killing with nothing but his icy glare decided to create his own special system, c) someone secretly looked through a window, crack in a doorway, etc, and saw the 'secrets'.

The world has much to thank the Chinese for... fiction and tall stories included

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I know next to nothing about this style, but one person I met on here totally destroyed any chance for me to think anything above "idiot" when I picture it. I'm sure those whom remember his conversations would agree.

agree
    i know who you are talking about but chow gar shouldnt be judged just on him lol
    one of my class mates studied chow gar whilst at uni for a few years, they used motorcycle helmets to spar in to allow them to use those hammer fists without really hurting each other, they hit hard and didnt mind being hit, even now his power is very good
    Not saying the style is deadly lol but it does have a fairly decent rep over here for actually sparring and fighting

No such thing as a "deadly" MA or even a "deadly" technique.
    Death maybe the result of a technique BUT you can kill someone with a punch ( more people have been killed by a "simple" punch than any other empty hand technique by the way) but no one calls a left hook "the deadly".

A MA is ONLY as good as how it is trained AND who is training in it.

IF WSL lost to a Chow Gar fighter than it was NOT WC losing to CG but simply WSL losing to whoever it was.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    IF WSL lost to a Chow Gar fighter than it was NOT WC losing to CG but simply WSL losing to whoever it was.
    Get out of here with that realism - you'll break somebody's rice bowl!

Anyone know of a good chow gar clip with this hammer fist ?

[QUOTE=trubblman;1259459]For some reason Chinese Martial Arts are full of these [unverifiable] stories...They are worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

TRUE. Besides- both jum and gan are and have been parts of Ip Man's slt. Ho Kam Ming wasa student of Ip Man soon after WSL began but HKM learned directly from Ip Man- not from WSL.
    And, gan has always been there as well as jum in HKM's slt... each in a specific place for a specific direction related reason.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Anyone know of a good chow gar clip with this hammer fist ?
    The downward hammer fist staring at 0:33 into this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmkQiHttjR4

I attended a Gary Lam Seminar a few years ago just to ask how he used his wing chun to fight Mui thai fighters, even though it wasn't the answer I was expecting, I respected him for his honesty. He Told me, inside the ring thaiboxing is king, but on the streets a wing chun fighter can beat a thai boxer. He also told me that when he fought with thaiboxers, he used thaiboxing himself. He said wing chun is good at medium range and thaiboxing is good at long distance.

Kev, Now I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Can you tell us a little more about WSL experience with Muai Thai, when did he fight the Thai's, was it during the 1960's when yip man sent a team of wing chun fighters to fight against the thais?

2. besides the use of side stances what specificly did he modified in the wing chun system to deal with fighting with muai thai fighters?
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 01-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    The downward hammer fist staring at 0:33 into this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmkQiHttjR4

I attended a Gary Lam Seminar a few years ago just to ask how he used his wing chun to fight Mui thai fighters, even though it wasn't the answer I was expecting, I respected him for his honesty. He Told me, inside the ring thaiboxing is king, but on the streets a wing chun fighter can beat a thai boxer. He also told me that when he fought with thaiboxers, he used thaiboxing himself. He said wing chun is good at medium range and thaiboxing is good at long distance.

Kev, Now I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Can you tell us a little more about WSL experience with Muai Thai, when did he fight the Thai's, was it during the 1960's when yip man sent a team of wing chun fighters to fight against the thais?

2. besides the use of side stances what specificly did he modified in the wing chun system to deal with fighting with muai thai fighters?
    Looks more like a biacth slap. Not too much info on vt fighters fighting Thais, side stance limits a lot of attacks on our lead leg.

[QUOTE=Vajramusti;1259522]
    Quote Originally Posted by trubblman View Post
    For some reason Chinese Martial Arts are full of these [unverifiable] stories...They are worth the paper they are printed on in my opinion

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

TRUE. Besides- both jum and gan are and have been parts of Ip Man's slt. Ho Kam Ming wasa student of Ip Man soon after WSL began but HKM learned directly from Ip Man- not from WSL.
    And, gan has always been there as well as jum in HKM's slt... each in a specific place for a specific direction related reason.
    Joy can you point out Jum in this form ? http://youtu.be/foAAVQKvhtA

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Joy can you point out Jum in this form ? http://youtu.be/foAAVQKvhtA
    Uh oh. It seems to follow the same storyline that those who came before learned only the jam-sau, and those who came after learned the gaang-sau in its place. Not many kept them both, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Uh oh. It seems to follow the same storyline that those who came before learned only the jam-sau, and those who came after learned the gaang-sau in its place. Not many kept them both, indeed.
    Mmmmm I can't really see the point in discussing the subject. As for the stories they are just that...stories.

Pretty pointless stuff IMO
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

True. It doesn't matter, as long as you have both in your system and make good use of them.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    True. It doesn't matter, as long as you have both in your system and make good use of them.
    There is no point in arguing what should be in the system and/or what shouldn't be. Yip Man and WSL are not here to ask.

Good Ving Tsun comes down to the person using it and one who is capable of applying logic to unarmed combat. It also needs a person that is capable of seeing through the BS. Unfortunately most Ving Tsun systems are full to the brim with BS but idiotic systems only attract idiots and fools will only follow other fools.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    There is no point in arguing what should be in the system and/or what shouldn't be. Yip Man and WSL are not here to ask.
    It comes through experience, just like the WSL gaang-sau story. Fact is, jam-sau is underused by many now who apparently rely on being spoon fed.