Thread: Rest in peace Run Run Shaw!

He lived a long life. Here a NY Times piece with quite a bit of info, I didn't realize how much he did in his life and what he was involved in. Whether he was 106 or 107, not sure as both articles have different ages, he lived longer than a lot of people do.

RIP

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/mo...ewanted=1&_r=0
    Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    point sparring is a great way to train

Today is a day for mourning on this forum

RIP Sir Run Run Shaw

Here's the Global Post coverage:
    Agence France-Presse January 6, 2014 10:47pm
    Hong Kong film pioneer Run Run Shaw dies aged 106

The film pioneer hailed as the father of Hong Kong cinema, Run Run Shaw, died Tuesday at the age of 106.

Shaw, one of the co-producers of Ridley Scott's 1982 cult hit "Blade Runner" and a score of martial arts films, passed away at home, according to Television Broadcast Ltd (TVB), which he helped founded.

The media mogul, who was knighted by Britain's Queen Elizabeth in 1977 for his public service as a long-time backer of the Red Cross, founded TVB in 1967.

Its sitcoms, variety shows and soap operas became immensely popular among the Chinese diaspora in southeast Asia, putting the former British colony on the global entertainment map.

Silver screen mega-stars such as Chow Yuen-fat, Tony Leung, Stephen Chow and Andy Lau all had their big breaks on TVB television dramas in the 1980s.

"With his vision and energy, he had built (TVB) to become Hong Kong's premier television station and a world leader in the Chinese-language television industry," TVB said in a statement.

Hong Kong's chief executive Leung Chun-ying, leader of the city of seven million people, praised Shaw's achievements in the entertainment industry.

"Sir Run Run Shaw has for a long time promoted the entertainment industry in Hong Kong, his philanthropy also has spread from Hong Kong to China and beyond. He is an elder that we very much respect," Leung told reporters.

Shaw was born in Ningbo, in Zhejiang province in China, in November 1907.

With his elder brother Runme Shaw, he founded a film production house first in Shanghai in 1927, and later in Hong Kong.

Shaw Brothers Studio has since produced around 1,000 titles, including a score of kung fu films, with "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin" and "Five Fingers of Death" hitting international theatres.

Shaw, whose movies were mostly in the Chinese language, failed to secure the legendary Bruce Lee in his production house following failed talks over renumeration.

Lee instead joined Golden Harvest, another Hong Kong-based production house founded by Shaw's former subordinate, Raymond Chow, from where the martial arts film icon shot to international stardom.

Shaw is also the backer of the $1 million Shaw Prize, often referred as the Nobel Prize of Asia.

The prize, which entered its tenth year in 2013 saw three scientists whose groundbreaking studies using fruit flies helped to uncover the workings of the human biological clock named the winners, among others.

Shaw's funeral will only be attended by family members, TVB said.

He is survived by his second wife Mona Fong, and his two sons and two daughters.

at/dca/st
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...-november.html

RIP Sir Run Run Shaw

Thank you for all you have done for the Hong Kong movies/tv industry - many many fond memories!

--------

Tight fisted with money with his actors, but very philanthropic later in life... creator of the Shaw Prize, equivalent to Nobel Prize with award of US$1 mil!

A legend!!!

What a good innings 106!!

RIP Run Run.
    I owned more of your movies than I should ever admit.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Top 10 Facts You Didn't Know About Sir Run Run Shaw

Top 10 Facts You Didn't Know About Sir Run Run Shaw

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/01...out-sir_7.html

Quote Originally Posted by norther practitioner View Post
    RIP Run Run.
    I owned more of your movies than I should ever admit.
    Ditto that. And I vote this for quote of the week.

RIP, Sir Run Run Shaw.

He had a very long and amazing life.

Not much more I can add to what's already been said.

Enter it then - it's very topical.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Ditto that. And I vote this for quote of the week.
    Hit "Reply with Quote" for np's post and then cut & paste that up in the Quote of the Week thread.

I have an old pic of me in front of Shaw Brothers studio in Singapore. I should dig that out for our print obituary.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Run Run Shaw certainly made a huge impact in Asian Cinema. May he Rest In Peace.

The stars pay respects

Chinese Film Industry Pays Tribute to Run Run Shaw
    1:52 AM PST 1/8/2014 by Karen Chu

MIKE CLARKE/AFP/Getty Images
    Sir Run Run Shaw
    "There's no me if not for Mr. Shaw," says Chow Yun Fat, as Jackie Chan, Andy Lau and others mourn the legendary producer's death at 106.

HONG KONG – Hong Kong media mogul, film producer and philanthropist Sir Run Run Shaw passed away at his home on Tuesday at the age of 106. The founder of Shaw Brothers Studio and Television Broadcast Limited (TVB), Shaw was instrumental in bringing Chinese-language film, especially the martial arts genre, to the attention of the world.

His film and TV empire launched the careers of some of China's biggest stars, including Maggie Cheung, Andy Lau and Chow Yun-Fat. Figures from across the Chinese film industry spoke out on Wednesday to mourn the passing of the media tycoon.

"I heard that Run Run Shaw passed away and I have many feelings," wrote action superstar Jackie Chan on Weibo, the Chinese version of Twitter. "I remembered how much I admired Shaw Brothers movies when I started my acting career and finally became successful. Mr. Run Run Shaw said that starting your own business and collecting money was a satisfaction but that distributing money and donating money was a pleasure. When I finally had the means to help others, Mr. Shaw's charitable behavior has always been my model. In the future, no matter whether it's movies or charity, I will go on."

Chan was discovered and signed under Golden Harvest, the rival of Shaw Brothers Studio, when he started his career in the 1970s.

Chow Yun-Fat (Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End), who began his career at Shaw's Television Broadcast Limited (TVB), told local press: "There's no me if not for Mr. Shaw."

"Uncle Six [Shaw's nickname] was very hardworking and every day he came to office for meetings," Chow added. "He took care of the juniors. Once I went with Uncle Six abroad to attend a film festival; he took the initiative to come over and talk to me. He was very friendly and was a good person. I hope he has a good journey. He passed away in his sleep. It was a blessing."

Another contract actor at TVB at the beginning of his career, actor-singer megastar Andy Lau, expressed his sadness at Shaw's passing on Weibo: "I'll miss him forever and I wish him a good journey."

Veteran producer-director Wong Jing (Young and Dangerous) also took to Weibo: "The studio tycoon I respect the most, the most successful filmmaker in my mind, philanthropist, Sir Run Run Shaw, R.I.P."

Likewise, director Pang Ho-Cheung (Love in the Buff): "A giant of an era, R.I.P."

Hong Kong producer Philip Lee (Cloud Atlas, The Dark Knight), told The Hollywood Reporter: "Indeed, the late Sir Run Run Shaw is probably the biggest icon in the Hong Kong film industry ever. I grew up with all the Shaw Brothers films in the 1960s and 70s. It went back to my mother's time. She used to take me to a theater nearby our home to watch those love stories produced by Shaw in the 60s. I was about eight or nine years old and I've been a movie fan since then."

Ng Yu, CEO of Hong Kong's Emperor Entertainment Group, recalled that “Shaw never interfered with production, and he allowed the producers to freely play and perform. He would give suggestions. Even though he had so much work to do every day, he still took time to watch films and TV programs from all over the world. He focused on film and television, which was also his interest. He contributed his life to this industry. He was very rare.”

Singaporean director Anthony Chen, who's Ilo Ilo won best picture and best director at the 2013 Golden Horse Awards, had this to say: "Sir Run Run Shaw's influence is undeniable, as his Shaw empire was behind some of the most landmark Chinese language films that are still well remembered and applauded today. These films have influenced filmmakers inside and outside the region and will always remain an important reference."

Hong Kong's chief executive, CY Leung, offered a public tribute to the local press: "Sir Run Run was a legend in the media and the film industry and a renowned philanthropist. Year after year, he made countless donations to Hong Kong, the Mainland and many parts of the world for the benefit of education, scientific and technological research, medical and social welfare services, as well as culture and art.

"His extraordinary dedication and competence earned him great respect in the community. The government and I are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sir Run Run and extend our deepest condolences to his family," Leung said.

Patrick Brzeski and Elaine Lu contributed to this report.
    Wait...what did Maggie say?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaw House, Singapore

I was there in '97.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cool pic, Gene!

Do you remember (or did you ever see) the chain of Shaw Brothers movie theaters in HK? They closed sometime around the mid-'80s. I don't recall seeing any during the several times I went to HK, though I know they existed. I do seem to remember going with a friend to check out a Shaw theater in a section of Taipei around '85 or '86, but it was already no longer in operation.

Golden Harvest also had a chain of movie theaters in HK, Taiwan and, I'm guessing, other Asian countries as well, that I did go to, that always showed the latest Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, etc., offerings.