Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: PBVT Sparring Clip

Blog Entries
    Last Saturday (2 days ago), In The 4th Annual "Lone Star" Championship January 24-26 in Houston, Tx, I was helping to judge WC sticky hands (or WC sparring) the 1st time in my life. When the chief judge announced the rules that

- It's not a competition. Ego attitude is not allowed.
    - Only straight punches are allowed. Uppercut and hook (or haymaker) are not allowed.
    - Every strikes "should not" touch on any part of your opponent's body.
    - Both arms should remain contact with your opponent's arms. You can't dis-connect it.
    - No kicks are allowed.
    - You should always stand in WC stance and should not stand in forward backward stance.

I then realized that the WC sticky hand training (not sure I should call it WC sparring) is far from "full contact".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-27-2014 at 11:49 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

That sounds pretty stupid.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    At the end of each sparring, the main judge would asked individual judges to give comments. When it was my term to give comment, I didn't know what to say.

If both of your arms are touching on your opponent's arms, when your opponent intends to punch you, you can sense it from the arm contact. It's very easy to redirect your opponent's force in the early stage (just like the clinch). The problem is in reality, your arms just won't be able to touch on your opponent's arm for so long. May be this is why the hook punch is not allowed. Your arm will be dis-connected from your opponent's arm right away. I also don't understand why kicking is not allowed.

What I don't understand is the main judge had said that this is not a competition. But individual judges had to count who could hit the other guy more and gave winner to him. How can you try to win but not allowed to have ego attitude.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-28-2014 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    I agree. More fabricated system nonsense.
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    At the end of each sparring, the main judge would asked individual judges to give comments. When it was my term to give comment, I didn't know what to say.

If both of your arms are touching on your opponent's arms, when your opponent intends to punch you, you can sense it from the arm contact. It's very easy to redirect your opponent's force in the early stage (just like the clinch). The problem is in reality, your arms just won't be able to touch on your opponent's arm for so long. May be this is why the hook punch is not allowed. Your arm will be dis-connected from your opponent's arm right away. I also don't understand why kicking is not allowed.

What I don't understand is the main judge had said that this is not a competition. But individual judges had to count who could hit the other guy more and gave winner to him. How can you try to win and but not allowed to have ego attitude.
    Exactly. .............

The problem is in reality, your arms just won't be able to touch on your opponent's arm for so long.

Absolutely true but unfortunately the basis for most of today's Wing Chun. This idea simply doesn't work and is illogical for fighting. Anybody with an ounce of sense or experience will know that.

When people protest that this IS the idea of Wing Chun (to stick to arms) then they are either stupid or inexperienced. Fact!
    "Ving Tsun is a horse not everybody can ride"

Wong Shun Leung.

What I don't understand is the main judge had said that this is not a competition. But individual judges had to count who could hit the other guy more and gave winner to him. How can you try to win and but not allowed to have ego attitude.
    to me the appeal of a sporting event, regardless of the sport, is to see competitors go against one another in a realistic fashion. the more the rules interfere with what observers would consider "a realistic fashion", the less observers can relate and the less they are attracted to the sport.

chi sau IMO has NEVER reached a format that accomplishes that for a sport. either the rule restrictions or the action itself is non-realistic enough that observers can't relate, thus it is not popular.

Blog Entries
    I believe the same problem also happen to the Taiji push hands. The sport Taiji push hands starts to look more and more like the "no legs" wrestling (since leg skills are not allowed). The sport WC sticky hands may also turn into "no hook/uppercut" boxing (since hook punch and uppercut are not allowed).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-29-2014 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    My quipping is irrelevant
    True. And on the internet your punch says zip.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post

nicely put!
    Thank you .......

Quote Originally Posted by anerlich View Post
    True. And on the internet your punch says zip.
    Agreed ; )