Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black panthers in the USA

Black panthers in the USA

Anybody heard about these little kitties? Most people I have spoke to about this say nah, there's no way, but it appears that people are sighting them all over the place. I've heard a theory that a released or several released black panthers have mated with the US mountain lion which may have spawned a hybrid that is larger than either of the parents. Kind of scary for forest hiking folks like myself. The one in the photo below was spotted in Walnut Cove, NC.

Name:  Black panther on deer cam.jpg
Views: 5131
Size:  17.9 KB

Edit: This photo appears to be a bogus retouch of a photo taken in Africa. This subject is still alive in the U.S.A. since many people claim they see these cats here, so if anybody has a photo or a story to share then feel free to contribute to this thread.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 01-20-2014 at 05:29 AM.

Jaguars are occasionally found in the southwest, along the Mexican border. It is possible there could be some black phase jaguars in the states, although if so, it would probably be extremely rare.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

We have huge mountain lion population here. They can get pretty big, some clear 200lbs apparently. How big do those ones get?

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    We have huge mountain lion population here. They can get pretty big, some clear 200lbs apparently. How big do those ones get?
    I've not personally seen one but I have spoken to a few people in NC who have. They all say much bigger than the standard mountain lion. Well, longer anyway. 7' to 8' from nose to tail is the normal description. I think that's getting into bengal tiger territory.

Sh!t, I almost forgot. My own father saw one last year while deer hunting in SW Oklahoma. He said it looked like a horse jumping over a hedge of green briar. He said it was one of those unreal moments where time just stands still and it took him a few moments to register what he saw. His description was also something like 7-8 ft long. So, Kellen this may be what you're talking about since we are pretty close to the southern border. I'd hate to run into one of these black beauties or a mountain lion on our trails.

This was sent to me by a friend. I believe it was on one of his family members webcams so I'll ask him if we can get a deer shot from the same angle for a comparison. No promises but if they have one I'll definitely post the photo.

Are they more aggressive than cougars? Honestly, cougars are the last thing I'm worried about when I'm out there. I'm more afraid of moose! They can be such assholes, lol.

Are they more aggressive than cougars? Honestly, cougars are the last thing I'm worried about when I'm out there. I'm more afraid of moose! They can be such assholes, lol.
    I don't think there is any evidence to support them being more aggressive so good point. I don't actually fear them because I'm sure they'd just turn the other way. Hopefully. I was saying that more tongue and cheek. I've never seen a moose in the wild but I hear they are pretty fierce.

Yeah, I guess if you are going to be attacked by a cat I would rather it be like 130 than 220, but you know... either way it's gonna go bad for you.

Black bears are pretty kosher too. Usually. I hear browns can be quite aggressive, but I've never come face to face with one of those.

You just have to be smart, think ahead etc etc. It's always a possibility you'll be attacked. I've been charged by deer, moose, bear, elk... it's always just been posturing though. Except for the moose, that one was close. But I wasn't on home turf and I don't really know how to act around moose, so kinda my own fault. I've heard some pretty horrible stories, but most of them can be chalked up to the unschooled and the reckless, like me and the moose. Man they're big, lol.

I would love to come across a big cat, 99 times out of 100 most animals, even the predators will run...but like Syn was saying, moose are a bit different. A rutting bull, or a cow with a calf can be very dangerous, I've heard and read of lots of people being attacked.
    They are just starting to make a comeback near my area...I hope to see the day when spotting one here will be as common as seeing a deer instead or a rarity.

It's really amazing at how much damage we did to predators in the middle and late 19th century, when many states and communities put bounties on cougars, lynx, bobcat, bear, wolves and foxes...basically eradicating all the larger predators from all but the remote mountain areas. This is why the whitetail deer population has exploded and the more adaptable coyote has taken over the range of most other predators...it makes for a very different ecosystem than a century and a half ago.

The funny thing is, this attitude continued even through the great depression, by the time most predators were already wiped out in most of their ranges in the States. I found a hunting license from 1930; it said on it that it was every hunters responsibility to kill wolves, bobcats, foxes, lynx, ect, in any season, as these predators kill the "good game." By the 80's we were trying to bring a lot of these animals back. It's incredible how much public attitude can change in 50 years.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Greetings,

These cats may have been in the area for a few generations. I had a relative who was from North Carolina. According to one of my sisters, he had a small black cat named Solomon; well, he thought it was a cat until he saw the way leaped after a rat. He said aloud, "That AIN'T no CAT!!" and quickly got rid of it. This was @ five decades ago.

mickey

Yeah, I guess if you are going to be attacked by a cat I would rather it be like 130 than 220, but you know... either way it's gonna go bad for you.
    Yes sir, you got that right. This must by why sifu always says, "never leave home without a belt." Never know when you might need a tourniquet.

We have some bobcats around here and even though they are smallish compared to the big cats I'd never want to tangle with one. I see their tracks all the time and they show up on our game cameras but I've never seen one so that attests to them not wanting to have anything to do with us pink blobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I would love to come across a big cat, 99 times out of 100 most animals, even the predators will run...but like Syn was saying, moose are a bit different. A rutting bull, or a cow with a calf can be very dangerous, I've heard and read of lots of people being attacked.
    They are just starting to make a comeback near my area...I hope to see the day when spotting one here will be as common as seeing a deer instead or a rarity.

It's really amazing at how much damage we did to predators in the middle and late 19th century, when many states and communities put bounties on cougars, lynx, bobcat, bear, wolves and foxes...basically eradicating all the larger predators from all but the remote mountain areas. This is why the whitetail deer population has exploded and the more adaptable coyote has taken over the range of most other predators...it makes for a very different ecosystem than a century and a half ago.

The funny thing is, this attitude continued even through the great depression, by the time most predators were already wiped out in most of their ranges in the States. I found a hunting license from 1930; it said on it that it was every hunters responsibility to kill wolves, bobcats, foxes, lynx, ect, in any season, as these predators kill the "good game." By the 80's we were trying to bring a lot of these animals back. It's incredible how much public attitude can change in 50 years.
    Wise thoughts here! It's pretty sad the way we have raped this land. Hopefully we can make it right before we completely destroy it.

I was attacked by a whitetail deer in Colorado when I was about 12. I was feeding this big buck at the Royal Gorge St Park. I ran out of food and he was not happy. He jumped up on his back legs, pawed me a few times and then my hero dad jumped in and ran it off. All was well except for my shock and a couple of hoof shaped bruises on my upper chest. It really could have gone bad and they are nowhere near the size of a moose. The moral, either don't feed wild animals wether they be in a park or otherwise, and if you do and run out of food, set the cup down in front of you with a few nibbles left in it and back away.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

These cats may have been in the area for a few generations. I had a relative who was from North Carolina. According to one of my sisters, he had a small black cat named Solomon; well, he thought it was a cat until he saw the way leaped after a rat. He said aloud, "That AIN'T no CAT!!" and quickly got rid of it. This was @ five decades ago.

mickey
    It might have been the moonshine! lol Just kidding!!!

There has to be a decent population of them with so many people having seen them. They are just really hard to see because they are black as night and those mountains are full of shadowy places to hide.

As I rule, I don't feed wild animals. By hand anyways. Of course I will leave some things behind when I'm out in the bush and let "nature take it's course". But that's a lil different. Anyone who has hunted med to large game in an area where you have to carry it out knows what I'm talking about. The hardest part about hunting on foot away from roads is carrying the meat outta there. Suuuuuucks!

I'm not sure I understand what Mickey is saying. Dude had a small black cat that turned out to be a what? A big cat? How could somebody confuse one for the other? Me no understand.