Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Thread Revised-Full Contact Kung Fu

Originally posted by Vajramusti
    Not to worry. Our opinions on wing chun often differ.
    If you are saying it is advisable to pivot on the heel, your opinion not only differs from mine, but also from just about every other coach and athlete in any athletic event (with the exception of a couple of dance moves) that requires pivoting on the feet.

'Even if you are in a minority of one the truth is still the truth'

- Ghandi
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

A Heel For Turning =D

I was trained by my French Coaches to turn base on the center of the foot, but Gary prefers to turn on heels. Each has their pros and cons, but the heel method has ease of use advantage. From a body mechanic view, the Weight of Gravity line falls mostly directly on the heel. If you turn the rest of the foot with the heel carry all the weight load to a new angle they are much easier than the other method which has to do some work to carry the load also to a new body alignment. =)

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    If you are saying it is advisable to pivot on the heel, your opinion not only differs from mine, but also from just about every other coach and athlete in any athletic event (with the exception of a couple of dance moves) that requires pivoting on the feet.
    We are not talking about MMA's, sports or athletic matters.We try to talk about Wing Chun. You can have your opinions or you can talk in the name of the rest of the "athletic" world,that will not make you an expert with an educated opinion on something you don't know.

IMO,why do lose your time posting here anyway?...Why does a great BJJ black belt,a Royce Gracie friend,an authority in MMA among many other things spend his time on a Wing Chun Gung Fu forum?...Just asking!

Sorry knifefighter- neither you and your authorities dont seem to know much wing chun.

Note again- in action a good wing chun person does what is needed. Being flatfooted on a level footing and pivoting on the heel is a training routine... not a mechanical robotivc fighting routine.. A common mistake is not understanding
    the progressive developmental of skills in wing chun kung fu.

In lots of activities- one needs to suddenly have the heel on the floor without being bounced back or pulled forward or losing one's balance.. I dont know your age- but I probably have seen more boxers and wrestlers at close quarters than many people on the list.

I can provide other examples from some dances and sporing and survival activities - but it should be evident by now I am not inclined to convince you of much. I am on the list to discuss how different wing chun families approach some common problems in learning wing chun well.

Originally posted by old jong
    We are not talking about MMA's, sports or athletic matters.We try to talk about Wing Chun. You can have your opinions or you can talk in the name of the rest of the "athletic" world,that will not make you an expert with an educated opinion on something you don't know.
    Oh, I see...
    WC somehow magically follows different laws of biomechanical efficiencies than do all other athletic endeavors.
    OKey dokey.

IMO,why do lose your time posting here anyway?...Why does a great BJJ black belt,a Royce Gracie friend,an authority in MMA among many other things spend his time on a Wing Chun Gung Fu forum?...Just asking!
    Kind of like a train wreck... just have to watch (and make commentaries).

No you don't see! Okey dokey?...
    Hey they must have a bit ch of the week thread on some BJJ forum!...It should be even more pleasant to watch....(And make commentaries!)

No you don't see! Okey dokey?...
    Hey they must have a bit ch of the week thread on some BJJ forum!...It should be even more pleasant to watch....(And make commentaries!)
    Nah...
    Most of the guys on the BJJ/MMA forums know what they are talking about...
    It would be pretty rare to hear anyone talk about pivoting on the heels or how bad it is to spar at 100% or how one single art is applicable to all situations or how one lineage of BJJ is much better than the other...
    ...not much snide commentary to be made there.

Old Thread Revised-Tampa Bay WC

Someone asked about an old thread and I provided them a link but for some reason they were unable to access the link.
    I have merged the old thread into this one in order to allow them to access the thread.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space