Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I wouldn't call sambo the Kryptonite of BJJ....only real difference is the more intense training in leg locks and such from sambo.
    Well that and its' Russian origin. Everyone knows the Russians are harder....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    ...or SAMBO.

"SAMBO"....BJJ kryptonite.

really..tell that to werdum after he sent fedor to nap town lol
    Well, actually, I prefer BJJ to SAMBO. I just sort of see a weakness in BJJ vs. Leglocks. I see it sort of like how Judo changed the rules after BJJ guys started dominating with certain tactics. In a similar vein, BJJ orgs have chagned rules in response to certain SAMBO tactics. The new 50/50 rules are a classsic example. In a SAMBO match, 50/50 is an exciting leg lock battle. In BJJ, it's an "exciting" game of stall untill the round ends because both sides just want to pull guard somehow.

i prefer BJJ because, and the gongfu nerds may not get this, but, I am an intellectual nerd and BJJ is a nerd's sport. Serously. Grappling in general is pretty ****ing demanding but amond the main choices these says: BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Greco, Freestyle, Shooto....BJJ is, IMHO, by far the most friendly to the the intellectual-not-a-jock-type. I seriously admire SAMBO (reference my previous post on this thread) but really prefer BJJ.

That being said, the only folks to really give BJJ folks a hard time at Abu Dabi have generally been either otehr BJJ folks or SAMBO dudes.

Single exceptions to the rule do not obviate the rule.

p.s.

Sorry for all the typos.

Well, actually, I prefer BJJ to SAMBO. I just sort of see a weakness in BJJ vs. Leglocks. I see it sort of like how Judo changed the rules after BJJ guys started dominating with certain tactics. In a similar vein, BJJ orgs have chagned rules in response to certain SAMBO tactics. The new 50/50 rules are a classsic example. In a SAMBO match, 50/50 is an exciting leg lock battle. In BJJ, it's an "exciting" game of stall untill the round ends because both sides just want to pull guard somehow.

i prefer BJJ because, and the gongfu nerds may not get this, but, I am an intellectual nerd and BJJ is a nerd's sport. Serously. Grappling in general is pretty ****ing demanding but amond the main choices these says: BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Greco, Freestyle, Shooto....BJJ is, IMHO, by far the most friendly to the the intellectual-not-a-jock-type. I seriously admire SAMBO (reference my previous post on this thread) but really prefer BJJ.

That being said, the only folks to really give BJJ folks a hard time at Abu Dabi have generally been either otehr BJJ folks or SAMBO dudes.

Single exceptions to the rule do not obviate the rule.
    that would hold up if sambo was dominating the no gi circuit with its leglocks, the fact is at the last adcc there was i think 4 or 5 wins by leglock, dean lister was the only sambo fighter to pull one off, and he is also a BJJ blackbelt, at the 2012 there was something like 13 wins via leglock all but one from BJJ blackbelts, regardless of the rules in BJJ gi for the lower belts, the fact is leglocks have always been popular in BJJ especially when in no gi, royler used to rule ADCC with his footlocks back in the 90s so its hardly their achilles heel so to speak

Submission grappling isn't MMA - it's a component, but one that can be nullified - IMO *especially leg locks, with a little knowledge. For instance, having live toes, which one would assume wrestlers would have by default.

The head pass / advanced BJJ skill they're raving about is one of the first things you learn and drill in Judo newaza, except judoka call it an Osae-Komi transition drill.

The head pass / advanced BJJ skill they're raving about is one of the first things you learn and drill in Judo newaza, except judoka call it an Osae-Komi transition drill.

He didn't do very well in his 1st jacket throw tournament. IMO, if you don't train Gi environment, you won't be good in Gi environment.
    Goes both ways old man. A jacket wrestler 没有跤衣 . . .ai papi! It's curtains. Or at least he'll wish he had some to hold on to.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Because the game seems to be played differently nowadays, I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA.
    Competitive Judo is undoubtedly a viable entry into professional MMA and while I harbor an appreciation for bold assertions, frost is right, changing over a decade of competitive specialization isn't so black and white.
    Last edited by wenshu; 01-28-2014 at 08:08 PM.

This is actually kind of true. I don't think it is that intellectual, it's just checkers but it is the most bad ass low impact option. Nerds don't handle face punching or body slamming very well.

Even though this is from choreographed fight scenes, it's a good example how Judo can be incorporated (techniques are named throughout the clip).

bjj is judo FOO

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    bjj is judo FOO
    maybe a hundred yeas ago, ace

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

Bad hip hop from the Balkans isn't doing your argument any favors.

there's just going to be more...

and more evidence advancing my hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    maybe a hundred yeas ago, ace.
    Not quite a hundred. This circa 1990 video shows when BJJ and Judo were still fundamentally the same. The Gracies actually had decent takedowns and they were still hitting the bread and butter judo newaza techniques. The difference at this point in history was in how the Gracies trained to apply their judo in that it was purely meant for street fighting and vale tudo and not Olympic style judo matches.

The more BJJ gets back to its roots of self defense, the more it looks like Judo