Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    so that's your arguement, a guy who started out as a catch guy and mixed his judo with a lifetime of catch wrestling, seriously that's your trump card
    Yup - his stuff is easy to follow for anyone with a background in Judo. Hayastan Judo. If I can pick up on how to set up kneck cranks, shoulder locks, knee bars, calf and bicep crushes, and stfu's - anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Yup - his stuff is easy to follow for anyone with a background in Judo. Hayastan Judo. If I can pick up on how to set up kneck cranks, shoulder locks, knee bars, calf and bicep crushes, and stfu's - anyone can.
    so your arguement is Judo as it is is much better for mma than bjj ....as long as you mix in wrestling to cover the holes in its game... that's hardly a ringing indorsement for modern judo, why not just do bjj lol

so your arguement is Judo as it is is much better for mma than bjj ....as long as you mix in wrestling to cover the holes in its game... that's hardly a ringing indorsement for modern judo, why not just do bjj lol
    Because Judo, when trained correctly, is way cooler than BJJ

Unless you're in a BJJ club that's full of hot chicks - that could be better. Otherwise Judo's more manly.
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-20-2014 at 02:43 PM.

I'm not sure if we'll see Judo become the grappling art of choice for MMA, but certainly we can now laugh as the folks who still might think "BJJ+MT/everything else is ****". If you are running an MMA club and say "no thanks" to Judo, you are turning your back on:

-full body toughening
    -throws and takedowns that can be easily adapted given an upright position
    -a proven method of training that can be adapted to a lot of different abilities
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

There's too many guys who are good on the ground, but not good at getting people on the ground...it presents a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    There's too many guys who are good on the ground, but not good at getting people on the ground...it presents a problem.
    Because they are not willing to let their body to be thrown on the ground 200 times daily. The throwing art is not for everybody. If you don't consider break fall as "free body massage", the throwing art is not for you.

I had many students who look as strong as football players. The moment that you throw them over your head, the moment that their face turned pale and never come back.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-20-2014 at 05:33 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    wrestling mixed with BJJ, great combo. Wrestling in itself is takedown oriented and once down about dominant position. BJJ position to submission- so they go together very neatly. Nothing wrong with Judo, great stuff, learn it all I say. Don't be boxed in by just learning one set of skills.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Because they are not willing to let their body to be thrown on the ground 200 times daily. The throwing art is not for everybody. If you don't consider break fall as "free body massage", the throwing art is not for you.

I had many students who look as strong as football players. The moment that you throw them over your head, the moment that their face turned pale and never come back.
    That's one reason there's an advantage in beginning a throwing art such as judo before you are fully-grown. You get used to falling, rolling and being thrown early in life, and the body is more supple and recovers much faster. IMO, it would be more difficult (but of course not impossible) starting out as an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Because the game seems to be played differently nowadays, I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA.

Check this video out to see what I mean.
    Your premise doesn't make sense. BJJ was created from JUDO, not jujutsu.

"Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (practiced as Judo) was introduced to the Gracie family in Brazil around 1914 by Esai Maeda, who was also known as Conde Koma. Maeda was a champion of Jiu-Jitsu and a direct student of Kano, at the Kodokan in Japan. He was born in 1878, and became a student of Judo (Kano’s Jiu-Jitsu) in 1897.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/history.asp

The website uses the terms interchangeably, yet koryu jujutsu and judo are different arts. Maeda studied Judo at the Kodokan under Kano. I have not seen any historical evidence that he studied any of the myriad styles of jujutsu.

Helio Gracie later modified what he knew to develop his own version of judo. However, it was based on the judo that he had learned.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    IMO, the Judo guys have better "throwing resistance" and "counter throw" skill than the BJJ guys. In average, it's much harder to throw a Judo guy than to throw a BJJ guy.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Your premise doesn't make sense. BJJ was created from JUDO, not jujutsu.

"Japanese Jiu-Jitsu (practiced as Judo) was introduced to the Gracie family in Brazil around 1914 by Esai Maeda, who was also known as Conde Koma. Maeda was a champion of Jiu-Jitsu and a direct student of Kano, at the Kodokan in Japan. He was born in 1878, and became a student of Judo (Kano’s Jiu-Jitsu) in 1897.

http://www.gracieacademy.com/history.asp

The website uses the terms interchangeably, yet koryu jujutsu and judo are different arts. Maeda studied Judo at the Kodokan under Kano. I have not seen any historical evidence that he studied any of the myriad styles of jujutsu.

Helio Gracie later modified what he knew to develop his own version of judo. However, it was based on the judo that he had learned.
    actually his premise makes perfect sense its just wrong where bjj came from doesn't really matter its its own entity now, different from judo

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    seriously, have you missed the point that north American mma is overrun with college wrestlers??

seriously, have you missed the point that north American mma is overrun with college wrestlers??
    LOL...is that that you got out of what I said? I don't see where I made any statement about what is, or isn't, employed in MMA.

I was suggesting that while BJJ excels on the ground, it's often not as good with takedowns as wrestling, judo, sambo, ect...
    Last edited by Kellen Bassette; 01-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Osu! ......

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    IMO, the Judo guys have better "throwing resistance" and "counter throw" skill than the BJJ guys. In average, it's much harder to throw a Judo guy than to throw a BJJ guy.
    Well considering the whole game plan of someone in BJJ is to get to the ground it's kinda null and void. I agree the manner of delivery is important (you don't want to land on your head or something) but most takedowns Ive seen from BJJ is an entanglement drag to the ground. That's why I think wrestling and BJJ together make a very good compliment to one another. wrestling has excellent takedowns and BJJ has excellent submissions.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.