Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    Well considering the whole game plan of someone in BJJ is to get to the ground it's kinda null and void. I agree the manner of delivery is important (you don't want to land on your head or something) but most takedowns Ive seen from BJJ is an entanglement drag to the ground. That's why I think wrestling and BJJ together make a very good compliment to one another. wrestling has excellent takedowns and BJJ has excellent submissions.
    Did you not even see the video I just posted???

Judo has both excellent takedowns and excellent submissions. And it's played at a very high pace. The slow submission game is going to go the way of the dodo bird. MMA is about money, and that means fans. Fans want explosive, decisive, impressive winners - ground humping for submissions is boring.

Blog Entries
    A good throw will always put you in dominate position. IMO, it's not a good idea just depending on your "pull guard" and not trying to develop your full throwing skill.

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Did you not even see the video I just posted???

Judo has both excellent takedowns and excellent submissions. And it's played at a very high pace. The slow submission game is going to go the way of the dodo bird. MMA is about money, and that means fans. Fans want explosive, decisive, impressive winners - ground humping for submissions is boring.
    That "hip throw" make the whole fight worthwhile to watch.

Cool clip YouKnowWho

Here's another...

BJJ submissions will always be the dominate SUBMISSION part of MMA and with good reason.
    BJJ subs are to Judo subs what chess is to checkers.
    Sorry.

That said, very few things can end a fight like a good throw that lands someone on their head or knocks the air out of them.
    That said, judokas MUST train no-gi for that and while more or, to be honest,m if you are a high level judoka you think Olympics, not MMA.
    Now, AFTER the Olympics or if the Olympics don't work out you can always fall back on MMA ( after taking up MT or what not).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

you guys are just wrong You've been nut riding for so long that you got a little too much bjj jizz on the brain. The subs that are used in MMA aren't extremely high-level BJJ Black Belt material.

Here's another example of Judo in MMA

Judo's going to end up being a very important base art in MMA

BJJ is great at what it does and the subs that it brought to the game were amazing, unfortunately everyone knows the high percentage subs and escapes - so high level BJJ is great at submission grappling - but with where MMA is going - it's not going to hold up against a high caliber Judo fighter. The BJJer will lose the takedown game, and will have an extremely hard time setting up any of the common high percentage subs (everyone knows them now) - especially when they're getting pounded.

Now Swanson is BJJ and boxing - but it's his harai goshi that set up his win in that last ufc clip, and you see that he's using a lot of classic Judo throws in his highlight clip - where I'm going with my thought is that BJJ is great - but after high blue, or purple - you've done enough for MMA. The skills that are going to get you noticed and get the fans excited aren't going to happen on the ground in a high level submission chess match. Fans will flock to big throws. And MMA is about fans.

Nutriding? You are the one argueing a silly case, judo is in anything moving away from what is useful for MMA, no direct leg attacks? great off you go to wrestling class before you get in the ring then, no pressure on the back of the neck in chokes? right off to sambo or bjj to learn guillotines then, only allowed to attack the elbow and the neck, right off to sambo and BJJ to learn leg locks, shoulder locks, neck cranks etc no real guard work as you can just turtle and get stood up, right then off to BJJ to learn the guard, not to mention to learn how to avoid getting pounded from turtle, 20 second pin rule means you end up learning holddowns that don’t lead to subs, or even lead to a good position, which is great if you want to pin someone, but if its MMA off you go to learn how to advance from one pin to another
    In judo I can break a hold by simple putting my leg over there’s, great try that in MMA and watch yourself get pounded out from half guard
    Not to mention the two biggest elephants in the room you are ignoring,
    1) the fact that the ippon rule leads to throws which either separate you from your opponent, or sacrifice your position on the ground for a ippon decision, ippon seonage is a classic example of a throw which leaves you holding the arm but without any real control of your opponent, and countless examples in comp of guys landing a big throw and then rolling over their opponent into a bad position, great for judo but NOT ideal for an art where the fight starts when your opponents back hits the mat
    2) and the big one, the fact you aren’t wearing a big white suit in MMA which makes the grips, distance and leverage for throws so different
    No no one is saying judo doesn’t work in the cage, there are countless examples of it doing so, but saying judo is going to replace BJJ as the sub art of choice is silly, as is inferring its going to replace wrestling as the takedown art of choice

Blog Entries
    Cool clip YouKnowWho

Here's another...
    That was a beautiful "over hook, horse back kick" throw. He did kick both of his opponent's legs off the ground and not just block and trip his opponent's leg. That required good "single leg balance". You just don't see that everyday.

Blog Entries
    you guys are just wrong You've been nut riding for so long that you got a little too much bjj jizz on the brain. The subs that are used in MMA aren't extremely high-level BJJ Black Belt material.

Here's another example of Judo in MMA

Let your opponent to fly over your leg. get a dominate position, and end the fight. What else do you need? Some people had spent training time to develop serious throwing skill. It's so much fun to watch these 2 clips. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-22-2014 at 12:54 PM.

Apparently he does train a lot of Judo to compliment BJJ and prefers stand up fighting. He's the ideal fighter IMO.

"I’m a fan of all the different aspects of MMA – I’m a fan of judo, I’m a fan of wrestling, I’m a fan of boxing and jiu-jitsu. I’m a fan of all of it, and I’m able to see the different aspects and what it takes to make an MMA fighter and I feel like I’m a little bit more open-minded to say what works and what doesn’t and not what style.”

- Cub Swanson

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    don't need to repeat something someone already said.

sanjuro_ronin

BJJ submissions will always be the dominate SUBMISSION part of MMA and with good reason.
    BJJ subs are to Judo subs what chess is to checkers.
    Sorry.
    slow????? most of the ones on this are not that slow IMO.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cZP8dRkdi_ON0g
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries

Apparently he does train a lot of Judo to compliment BJJ and prefers stand up fighting. He's the ideal fighter IMO.
    I have always told my guys if they can be good in "head lock leg block",

http://imageshack.com/a/img201/3762/johnleglift.jpg

they will always end with dominate position on the ground. The guy in the following clip hasn't developed his "horse back kick" power yet. But he is moving toward that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    don't need to repeat something someone already said.

slow????? most of the ones on this are not that slow IMO.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cZP8dRkdi_ON0g
    Well - you and I are on a agreement on this. Every one of those subs is taught and drilled in Judo.
    And now for something really exciting.

A look at BJJ

Yawn - I must've fell asleep there... sorry about that - is it over, did they make out? Is one of them pregnant?
    so boring.

Now to wake up
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.