Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    don't need to repeat something someone already said.

slow????? most of the ones on this are not that slow IMO.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...cZP8dRkdi_ON0g

Not sure what the "slow???" is about.
    That BJJ and Judo share the same core subs is quite obvious BUT to suggest that the typical judoka is at the same submission level as a typical BJJ player is incorrect.
    When was the last time a Judoka won a submission grappling tournament?
    The elite submission grapplers compete in the Abu Dhabi and they all have BJJ back ground.

It is not a slight on Judo, heck I am a Judo Shodan remember?

It just is what it is and the simple fact is in BJJ it is submission FIRST and throw second and in Judo it is the reverse.
    Typically.

It should be noted that this IS changing so...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Shocking!!! Dana White says Jiu Jitsu is Boring!

You all know I'm right

From a forum dedicated to BJJ

I think he is referring to the fact that they avoid using their BJJ in the cage.

Fighters have openly commented on this. UFC doesnt want to see jiu jitsu. Their audience wants to see stand and bang. Thats how you become popular and make money in the UFC and the fighters know this.

BJJ is boring to the crowd and more and more fighters are avoiding its use, even BJJ black belts, which makes it difficult to realize how good they actually are.
    Read more: http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/discus...#ixzz2rFKgdu49

JJ is boring?
    Wow, that is brand new information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    JJ is boring?
    Wow, that is brand new information !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and back to my original premise when I started this thread:

I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Because the game seems to be played differently nowadays, I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    and back to my original premise when I started this thread:

I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Because the game seems to be played differently nowadays, I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA.
    The first and foremost focus of ANY competitive judoka is Judo competition FIRST.
    Do I think you will see more throws in MMA?
    yes of course, why not?
    Does that mean you will get MMA guys going into Judo?
    Nope, they will either bring in a judoka or simply adapt those throws to MMA, which is what they are already doing.
    MMA is becoming a standalone system that simply borrows what it needs/is the flavour of the month.
    People don't cross train in styles anymore for MMA, they adapt what they need from the style to MMA.

they will either bring in a judoka or simply adapt those throws to MMA, which is what they are already doing.
    You're saying what I'm saying... sheesh. All I know is that the world's looking better for the sport of Judo and the outlook for a post Judo BB is shiny.

Gyms want throwers to show 'em how it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    You're saying what I'm saying... sheesh. All I know is that the world's looking better for the sport of Judo and the outlook for a post Judo BB is shiny.

Gyms want throwers to show 'em how it's done.
    You are saying that Judo will overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice, the fact is that the "current" trend in MMA is to take TECHNIQUES, not styles, and adapt them to the MMA game.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I'm not saying that judo isn't a great art in itself. I'm saying that BJJ is the core for submissions. Of course Judo has the basic subs. BJJ has. They are connected. I still don't get your "slow" comment. Maybe I'm slow. The ground game can be "boring" to those whom don't study it in itself. But everyone has there opinion on it. I don't see BJJ taking a back seat if that's what you are stating. It's a staple in the MMA world that is borrowed heavily from. I would like to see more throws in MMA myself. It adds flavor and spice.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

he also said the same thing about wrestling, and i missed the part where he talked about judo being so exciting?? Dana loves stand up and striking, he hates the ground work hence his favours uys like dan hardy and keeps them around even when they lose

So again i missed the part where the rational of going to a grappling style which doesn't allow leg attacks, makes you wear a gi, doesnt allow certain chokes, shoulder locks OR leg locks is somehow going to revolutionise MMA?

Oh and for the record free style wrestling has shoulder throws

trips
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGG48nPqPRg
    head and arm throws
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGn7a8K-xDs
    hip throw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY3NgKb4pTo
    and so on

...The elite submission grapplers compete in the Abu Dhabi and they all have BJJ back ground.....
    ...or SAMBO.

"SAMBO"....BJJ kryptonite.

p.s.
    Totally arguable that Rousimar Palhares may not have been banned if it was armlocks he held too long. BJJ folks tend to be kind of funny about leg locks. (knee bars etc.)
    Last edited by omarthefish; 01-24-2014 at 08:32 AM.

I'll throw a little love at BJJ

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post
    ...or SAMBO.

p.s.
    Totally arguable that Rousimar Palhares may not have been banned if it was armlocks he held too long. BJJ folks tend to be kind of funny about leg locks. (knee bars etc.)
    Yep, there are a few Sambo guys that are high level submission grapplers.
    But...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADCC_Su...d_Championship

[QUOTE=omarthefish;1260533]...or SAMBO.

really..tell that to werdum after he sent fedor to nap town lol

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I wouldn't call sambo the Kryptonite of BJJ....only real difference is the more intense training in leg locks and such from sambo.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.