Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Judo is going to overtake BJJ as the grappling art of choice for MMA

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The UFC's best bet is to pull a competitor from the women's Judo world. There has to be someone in the 135lbs range that could give Rousey a fight. The obvious American Women's Judoka who actually has transitioned to MMA is Kayla Harrison. But she's too heavy, she'd have to drop 40lbs to fight Rousey.

Replace the word "Ninja" to "Judoka" and Rousey is living the line from Revenge of the Ninja, "Only a Ninja can stop a Ninja."

I agree the only talent pool which could trouble her in the judo one, not because its better for MMA than wrestling or BJJ (the lack of judo guys in the top ten in male MMA proves this) but because in women’s combat sport it’s the only art with a deep talent pool so those that rise to the top are animals and years ahead of girls who do submission grappling or wrestling
    The issue is the best won’t want to come because, well there are aiming for the OL games in the majority of cases Even if someone does make the switch it will probably be towards the end of their career which will mean athletically they will be declining
    Rousey is a bit unique in that
    a) She made the switch to MMA early, very early in her Olympic peak years she retired at 21 I believe which for someone with Olympic level skills is just strange
    b) She has spent years training both gi and no gi under gene lebell and goker, giving her a head start in terms of MMA and no gi work
    c) Her mum was a medallist as well, so she was training hard from such an early age

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    I agree the only talent pool which could trouble her in the judo one, not because its better for MMA than wrestling or BJJ (the lack of judo guys in the top ten in male MMA proves this)
    Dave Camarillo (Judo & BJJ Black Belt and founder of Guerrilla Jiu Jitsu) has an interesting opinion on this. He believed that it's the discipline of defining themselves as "Martial Artists" and not "fighters" which is preventing many of the top tier Judoka from entering the MMA world. Whereas wrestlers, without the formality of the gi, the bowing, the lineage, etc. see MMA as just another challenge to overcome.

"Why don't we see more judoka in MMA? We've seen some really good ones. Rousey was a medalist, Makoto Takimoto, Akiyama, Rick Hawn was an Olympian, but there doesn't seem to be the same level of matriculation. Why is that?

I think it's a situation of culture. I've known a lot of wrestlers in my life, especially with MMA fighting. I obviously grew up in the judo scene and judo, it was never about 'fighting'. There's no real culture of fighting. For us, it was the martial arts. When you say martial arts, you wear a gi. You're bowing. You have a sensei. You're part of a lineage. That is a different culture than wrestling in high school and Division I college. It's just different.

They don't bow on the mat, that's one difference. Well, that has an effect psychologically. When I grew up, we didn't get in fights. We all were accountable because our parents understood that it's a martial art. That really helped parents really raise their kids. It's this connection of 'We don't do this, we don't do that'. Now, in wrestling, it's like, definitely good people, but there's not this - whatever it is - boundary that keeps them from wanting to fight. In judo, you see it.

I've seen so many judoka in my career that I thought would do incredible in MMA and they never once thought about it. I would even ask them. 'Oh no, I don't like MMA'. I think it's culturally. You ask a wrestler and they're like 'Yeah, yeah. That's awesome!' There's so many wrestlers coming in, but in the United States there's actually not a lot of judoka. Most of them are in Japan."
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/6/1/...print-mma-news

Rhonda has no one at here level yet.
    I mean, the girl is Elite.
    She is simply far better than anyone else right now.
    I have always said and probably always will say that a fighter with a solid base in a TMA ( Like Judo) and well trained in MMA will always have a better chance in MMA than one that is 100% MMA trained.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Rhonda has no one at here level yet.
    I mean, the girl is Elite.
    She is simply far better than anyone else right now.
    I have always said and probably always will say that a fighter with a solid base in a TMA ( Like Judo) and well trained in MMA will always have a better chance in MMA than one that is 100% MMA trained.
    So I'm assuming you're lumping in boxing, freestyle wrestling, greco, catch as... etc etc... as TMA's?

Oh and... Holy **** Rhonda!

Machida is a freakin' warrior! Would have liked to see that one go on till there was a finish. Glad to see Weidman get some validation in the deep end. Dude has nice chin.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post

Machida is a freakin' warrior! Would have liked to see that one go on till there was a finish. Glad to see Weidman get some validation in the deep end. Dude has nice chin.
    That was a great card, great fights...got to give it up for Uriah Hall too....
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    That was a great card, great fights...got to give it up for Uriah Hall too....
    No doubt. That foot was nasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    So I'm assuming you're lumping in boxing, freestyle wrestling, greco, catch as... etc etc... as TMA's?

Of course.

People questioned Uriah Hall's killer instinct... maybe the Adam Cella KO made him think he can literally kill someone in the octagon

But after that fight, no one should be questioning Hall's heart... dayum! That bone protruding from the toe? double dayum!

Ronda was an Olympian Judoka, Sara McMann was an Olympian Greco-Roman wrestler... we saw how that ended up... Judo is a great addition to "MMA"... wished Karo Parisyan didn't flake out and was able to continue

Hector Lombard's last fight was awesome too! another Olympian judoka.

I think MMAists still need BJJ, but when wrestling entered the UFC scene, we saw how wrestlers can dictate if they want to go to the ground or not vs BJJ

MMA scene needs to adapt to Judo now... not enough Judokas to change MMA thinking (yet)... just like when wrestlers started fighting in MMA, MMA adapted and included Wrestling

Enjoy 9 more GIF’s here:

http://www.stickgrappler.net/2014/07...xis-davis.html

Love your gif's dude.

Love your gif's dude.
    Domo arigato gozaimasu sanjuro_ronin-san!

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    Domo arigato gozaimasu sanjuro_ronin-san!
    Quite talking like a woman and be a man !!

Quite talking like a woman and be a man !!
    lol at me!

*high fives and chest bumps sanjuro*

for the record, if you had a chinese SN, i would've said "xie xie"

lol at me

Don't think Judo is supplanting BJJ as grappling art of choice at all. More of a case for wrestling. Case in point Frankie Edgar vs. BJ Penn. Frankie focused on wrestling and used that plus tons of hip pressure and GNP to shut down any kind of guard work BJ Penn was trying to get going.

Besides, judo keeps adding more and more dumb rules to competition every year. And BJJ sits silently back like the Borg, absorbs other skills like Sambo, then says "BJJ has had footlocks for years".

Quote Originally Posted by Stickgrappler View Post
    People questioned Uriah Hall's killer instinct... maybe the Adam Cella KO made him think he can literally kill someone in the octagon

But after that fight, no one should be questioning Hall's heart... dayum! That bone protruding from the toe? double dayum!
    Beast. I still do not see any way he could have that level of mobility with that toe. He had better footwork with that toe than 90% of that division healthy.