Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: China's Pollution problem

It's not just Beijing

This study looks at 272 Chinese cities.

It's kind of an obvious or foregone conclusion. But I guess you gotta do these kinds of studies to 'prove' that pollution is bad.

Chinese air pollution linked to respiratory and cardiovascular deaths
    February 10, 2017
    Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter

Credit: ATS

Feb. 10, 2017–In the largest epidemiological study conducted in the developing world, researchers found that as exposures to fine particulate air pollution in 272 Chinese cities increase, so do deaths from cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.

The researchers reported their results in "Fine Particulate Air Pollution and Daily Mortality: A Nationwide Analysis in 272 Chinese Cities," published online ahead of print in the American Thoracic Society's American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

"Fine particulate [PM2.5] air pollution is one of the key public health concerns in developing countries including China, but the epidemiological evidence about its health effects is scarce," said senior study author Maigeng Zhou, PhD, deputy director of the National Center for Chronic and Non-communicable Disease Control and Prevention, Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. "A new monitoring network allowed us to conduct a nationwide study to evaluate short-term associations between PM2.5 and daily cause-specific mortality in China."

The researchers found: * The average annual exposure to PM2.5 in the Chinese cities was 56 micrograms per cubic meter (μg/m3)–well above the World Health Organization air quality guidelines of 10 μg/m3. * Each 10 μg/m3 increase in air pollution was associated with a 0.22 percent increase in mortality from all non-accident related causes. * Each 10 μg/m3 increase in air pollution was associated with a 0.29 percent increase in all respiratory mortality and a 0.38 percent increase in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) mortality. * Mortality was significantly higher among people age 75 and older and among people with lower levels of education. * The association between PM2.5 levels and mortality was stronger in cities with higher average annual temperatures.

The researchers speculate that differences in educational attainment may result in environmental health inequalities and access to health care that affect mortality. In warmer cities, the authors hypothesize residents may spend more time outdoors and open windows, increasing their exposure to PM2.5.

The researchers said their study suggests a weaker association between increases in PM2.5 and mortality than studies conducted in Europe and North America. They suggest a number of possible explanations for this difference, including that in most Chinese cities there was a plateauing of mortality at the highest levels of pollution and the components of PM2.5 pollution in China may be less toxic than the components in Europe and North America. Crustal dust from arid lands and construction make up more PM2.5 pollution in China than it does in Europe and North America.

In 2013 China began introducing PM2.5 monitoring in urban areas. The current study analyzed available data between 2013-15. For nearly half the cities in the study, there was only one year of PM2.5 data available, and the authors note that a limitation of their study is that it does not look at the cumulative effect of PM2.5 over many years.

"Our findings may be helpful to formulate public health policies and ambient air quality standards in developing countries to reduce the disease burden associated with PM2.5 air pollution," said study co-author Haidong Kan, MD, professor of public health at Fudan University in China. "Further massive investigations, especially looking at the long-term effect studies, are needed to confirm our results and to identify the most toxic components of PM2.5 in China."

###

"Study of #airpollution in #China finds increased respiratory and CVD deaths."

Follow Us
    ATS – @atscommunity
    AJRCCM – @ATSBlueEditor

About the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine (AJRCCM):

The AJRCCM is a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Thoracic Society. The Journal takes pride in publishing the most innovative science and the highest quality reviews, practice guidelines and statements in pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine. With an impact factor of 12.996, it is the highest ranked journal in pulmonology. Editor: Jadwiga Wedzicha, MD, professor of respiratory medicine at the National Heart and Lung Institute (Royal Brompton Campus), Imperial College London, UK.

About the American Thoracic Society:

Founded in 1905, the American Thoracic Society is the world's leading medical association dedicated to advancing pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine. The Society's 15,000 members prevent and fight respiratory disease around the globe through research, education, patient care and advocacy. The ATS publishes three journals, the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, the American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology and the Annals of the American Thoracic Society.

The ATS will hold its 2017 International Conference, May 19-24, in Washington, DC, where world-renowned experts will share the latest scientific research and clinical advances in pulmonary, critical care and sleep medicine.

Media Contact

Dacia Morris
    dmorris@thoracic.org
    212-315-8620
    @atscommunity

http://www.thoracic.org
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Taipei was polluted, but nothing like those cities in China. I wonder if those freaky pollution levels are a big part of the reason there's been so many news stories out of China of people with bizarre growths/tumors.

Arctic sea loss

The full article is available online if you follow the link.

RESEARCH ARTICLE ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES
    Arctic sea ice, Eurasia snow, and extreme winter haze in China
    Yufei Zou, Yuhang Wang*, Yuzhong Zhang and Ja-Ho Koo†

Science Advances 15 Mar 2017:
    Vol. 3, no. 3, e1602751
    DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.1602751

You are currently viewing the abstract. VIEW FULL TEXT

Abstract
    The East China Plains (ECP) region experienced the worst haze pollution on record for January in 2013. We show that the unprecedented haze event is due to the extremely poor ventilation conditions, which had not been seen in the preceding three decades. Statistical analysis suggests that the extremely poor ventilation conditions are linked to Arctic sea ice loss in the preceding autumn and extensive boreal snowfall in the earlier winter. We identify the regional circulation mode that leads to extremely poor ventilation over the ECP region. Climate model simulations indicate that boreal cryospheric forcing enhances the regional circulation mode of poor ventilation in the ECP region and provides conducive conditions for extreme haze such as that of 2013. Consequently, extreme haze events in winter will likely occur at a higher frequency in China as a result of the changing boreal cryosphere, posing difficult challenges for winter haze mitigation but providing a strong incentive for greenhouse gas emission reduction.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, China has to eat too. They do that buy making good to sell to others. Clearly they have less issues with environmentalist then the US does. The burn a ton of coal to produce heat to be used to create steam to turn a turbine and on and on and lo. I give you lighting. Niagara Falls bypasses the whole coal stream deal.
    But is coal bad ? Hell we planned on shutting down an entire industry because we don't want to be like China. Never mind we can improve the bad by products from its use. So could China but people there need to watch there tongues.

What happened most likely is PRIVLEDGED had invested in something say like fracking. But to move it ahead because omg we can make enough electricity you have to kill a methods that is established. Never mind you can do better and maybe even safer than fracking. Now that's about 200,000 coal specific jobs gone. But coal gives all the down line jobs WORK !

Guys. We are at a population level that is out of control You have to pick. Earth or Humans. I pick humans. I don't want to go back to horse and buggy days. But if we do does that mean we now have to heat our homes with COAL ? Like Merry old England did ?Ah lovely London town. See my point ? It dos not matter. We are f--ked either way. Now I think it will be a lot cheaper to improve the scrubbers on coal plants than say make everyone in our new horse and buddy era to buy their own to clean their heat source. Better add all the other burnables to the list too. That's what people miss. Kill the people or kill the planet. Im willing to do either as long as I live.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-16-2017 at 02:57 PM.

I have a solution for cheap safe cars at least in America. So even our poor can have a reliable car that wont kill the rest of us. Lets go grab back all those right off lease cars rotting in out of the way parking lots and fix and sell them at 5 grand a pop. Wait, screw them. Let them take to bus. That would just kill us faster. Whatever. Lets claim the cars and put them back in action and then the poor can help us kill the planet too. If we are going to let them live. Might as well let them have the best life of any poor in the world.

Also, how come it is seemingly Americas responsibility to house every other countries poor and criminal base and still provide clean air for the rest of the world ? Cant Mexico and China do its part ? Or we just going to keep jobbing out our jobs so we can say. WE LOVE THE PLANET but we are bankrupt and everyone is in prison eating each other now because there are no jobs and a frost hit and killed our crops but coal maybe could have saved them.

Yeah, let China worry about China and Mexico worry about Mexico and if they eat each other well they screwed up. How is that my problem or responsibility ? And send there bad people bad. We don't need them. They are causing us massive environment issues trying to stay warm. That work ? What will sell you ?

Okay how about this ? If you care so much for say Iran or Iwhatever. Why don't you go there and help them fix it ? WE TRIED. Don't want to try anymore. You go. They need your help fixing their country and providing for their people.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-16-2017 at 03:44 PM.

I don't recall having this much trouble when we let the Vietnamese in. Yeah there was some dickhead that worried about it but those people did not bother anyone that I recall and integrated. Heck we still let them in and they still pretty much behave. Anyone point to any areas outside fo Vietnam where they caused maybe say mass rapes and burning of property ? Those people loved us and we loved them. Well not all of them but the ones that really wanted to be with us did. Sorry for the a-holes you meet here. We got our share. I have a particular fondness for the Vietnamese people and Laotians.

So I was at the gas station buying smog juice when I asked the cashier a white dude what happened to that crying girl from the other night. This chick walked in all crying and hysterical. Liberal girl maybe 20. I kept asking the girl do you want me to call the cops ? She said no. Anyway someone called the cops and arrested her wonderful male liberal whatever for kicking her ass. GREAT ! Now today this other lady maybe 37 or so. White . Purple hair. School teacher. Beer buyer. Overheard my well the guy was a ****ing liberal. She got a little mad and this lead into a really great argument her being a Bernie fan. We have so much in common actually. Just our ways to get there differ. They are wrong, LOL.

Anyway she got off on the electric car and no more gas yet she buys gas for her rather large truck ? Talking alternative energy which I agree works but her the best we get is supplemental. She disagreed with the electric cars cost way more to fix. The better ones cost way more to buy so yeah, every person in America can get that Tesla tomorrow. NOT ! Then she went on about Regan killed the electric car back in whatever. Ever think the car got rejected by the public like the last inception ? That we all don't believe in your incorrect belief that is the solution and how are we going to generate electricity by the way? Almost not coal but that's back. NUKE sound good ? Good lord no. Oh solar so we can be sitting buy the side of the road on the days we went a foot over and well my flashlight is not generating those car panels up in NY like the rest of the Nation. Not against the technology but it aint just keep buying over priced batteries and replace like you would with a tv remote. With batts bought from Dollar Tree. But any way then she went off on POT legalization which the vast majority od Trump supporters also support. She did not agree with the throw the illegals out line and said you believe that is our problems. NO just a 113 billion dollar a year one that has a very simple solution. ByeBye.

Anyways, I really liked her. She hug me and thanked me for the debate. Then we walk out to our cars and we continued for another minute or so until I shook her hand goodbye. They aint all bad and they need more people like her leading their ideas. No violence and love at the end. Great lady.

So did Reagan kill that car back then ? http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...n-electric-car

Oh the girl and I managed to drive one customer out of the store. Some bearded dude. I spot any people messing with my car Im stepping out praying they advance.

Oops. She was also HOT and Im not generally attracted to white chicks. But her ability to give good argument maybe that turn me on ? I think she said she was married so....been there, done that. Don't recommend it fellows.

Oh we also talked water. Clean water. Like the last 4-5 Presidents fixed for us. Maybe not her but I wonder how many Liberals flush **** and pour bad stuff down the drains ? I never do. Ever think the public pollutes more than the companies ? Like the every house has a fuel filter deal. You going to trust the lazy ass public to scrub their coal burning ?
    Or dump and play a video game ?

Man, I loved that chick. More like her please !

Also, before anyone thinks ALL WHITE AREA. Chris the black cashier was there the night of the beaten girl. He was not there tonight. A white lady was the other cashier tonight. We have lots of blacks here. Chris more or less does not care who was elected. He knows Im a die hard Trump supporter. He did not beat me up for it. I don't recommend he tries.
    Last edited by boxerbilly; 03-16-2017 at 07:11 PM.

boxerbilly, here is the solution to whatever you just said...

...you need some leg stockings and cosmetics to protect you from the toxic smog.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 | 6:48am EDT
    Chinese firms offer pollution solutions with bottled air, hat filters, smog socks

FILE PHOTO: An Air China passenger aircraft flies amid heavy smog over the suburb of Beijing, China, January 2, 2017. REUTERS/Jason Lee/File Photo

Even as Chinese Premier Li Keqiang pledges to ensure that blue skies never become a luxury, a state-backed firm is doing brisk business selling 48 yuan ($6.95) cans of fresh air bottled in a forest in western China.

Each bottle is good for two minutes of uninterrupted use.

From air-filter necklaces to anti-smog stockings, Chinese companies are touting innovative - if not odd - products to consumers worried about the quality of the air that they breathe.

At the close of the annual meeting of parliament on Wednesday, Li said air pollution must be brought under control and blue skies should never be a luxury.

Smog alerts are common in northern China, especially during bitterly cold winters when pollution masks are frequently out of stock.

"We set up a factory in Ningdong Forest Park in Shaanxi province and compress air directly into the bottle," said Zhai Wenjun, sales manager at Sanqin Forest Industry, which is backed by the local Taibai Forestry Bureau.

"Consumers will feel like they are breathing in the forest," Zhai said.

Despite widespread criticism on China's Twitter-like microblog Weibo, Shaanxi media reported that the first batch of Qinling Forest Oxygen-Enriched Air had been sold out.

"The air reminds me of the forest," said a user on Taobao, China's most popular consumer-to-consumer online shopping website, adding that the price is "reasonable".

"As the price is a bit high, we suggest customers use it little by little," said Zhai.

Meanwhile, a firm backed by e-commerce giant JD.com (JD.O) is selling necklaces with micro air filters priced at 699 yuan.

Merchants on Taobao also sell leg stockings and cosmetics claiming to protect the skin from toxic smog, as well as a 298-yuan air-filter installed hat.

(Reporting by Muyu Xu and Ryan Woo; Editing by Nick Macfie)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL. That may be a Chinese solution. From the looks of that pic. It is failing.

We can make coal burning fairly clean. So could China. But it would cut into their profits.

Now I understand the tactic. Job out to China where they a extremely lax on EPA like stuff. Once they can't breath we can bottle our clean American air and sell it to them at outrageous rates. This or die , SELLS !

Ive seen LA areas almost that bad. If you remove the illegals it would lessen the load and they could breath again.

Name:  LA%20smog_Rovert%20S_%20Donovan_Flickr.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  84.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by boxerbilly View Post
    Ive seen LA areas almost that bad. If you remove the illegals it would lessen the load and they could breath again.

A 2015 pic of LA. Yeah, Californians know what they are doing. ?????

Progressive Liberals and BAD SCIENCE. Those extra smog tests/checks on your cars are useless grabs at your cash. Remove the illegals. That will work far better than ruining your gas mileage.

These numbers are extremely off but lets use them. Santa Ana is likely half illegal as far as just the Mexican population is concerned.

Now 1 million. Lets say a quarter have cars and that's probably undercutting hard too. So 250,000 cars no longer pumping out exhaust. Lighten the load.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...208-story.html

Now Gene or anyone

apply my don't leave it in the hands of lazy people to comply. It never works. What happens when you get pulled over with failed or expired tags ? TICKET. Problem solved. Not based on that photo above. And illegals are generally not going to show up for court. Bench warrant. If you catch them again. Fact is to many cars out there are on the roads and would never pass inspection. I don't fully give all that to Illegal cause but they are a large part of that cause. Why waste money on something like that ? Cheaper to buy illegal tags or rip them off another car. You guys still keep yours on your plates ? Ours are on the inside of our windshield. Removal destroys. What does getting caught with illegal tags get you. A ticket ? They will never follow stupid laws like that. Getting Americans too is hard enough.