Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How long would you need a Sifu before you can practice on your own?

My grampa made me a shillelagh (pronounced like shilaylee). As Lucas would say, it's bad to the fukc ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    My grampa made me a shillelagh (pronounced like shilaylee). As Lucas would say, it's bad to the fukc ass.
    Yup, a shillelagh trumps a petrified viking turd any day. However, a shillelagh made from a petrified nephilim turd, well now that would be something. I'd name mine Goliath.

This here be Goliath. Prepare for a thrashing!

wait, that's what I tell my wife....
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    How did this thread go so wrong??

Watch at your own risk. The real story starts after 1:20...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaE1H4u8Q8&sns=em

I call B.S. (no pun intended).
    That's seriously f***ed up if it's real. ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

When you quote me you need to add the " ". hahahahahahaha!!!

Jimbo, that video was hilarious. I'm sure it wasn't real, but I can totally see it happening in this pompASS country.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 01-24-2014 at 10:57 AM.

Kung fu is 10% learning and 90% practice. I see my Sifu every so often, and get corrections, and new teachings, the rest of the time I am practicing on my own, and with other martial artists.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

you can train without a sifu, but you cant train without a sparring partner.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Blog Entries
    保皇 ..........
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

Did your wife slap you?

I think her story's being told on Facebook - watch this video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Did your wife slap you?

I think her story's being told on Facebook - watch this video https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    Well hold on a second... lol, that was awesome. The chick with the laptop and that sideways look she was giving...just great.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

When Does The Student Become The Teacher?

I've had this conversation with my Sifu I have also discussed this with my own students.

The fact of the matter is it takes as long as it takes. I still train with my sifu for the past 19 years. Though this past year I took the year off to focus on some other aspects of my life. There is a transition you make as a student.

To really understand what you are learning you need to go out and test it as well as teach it to others. In this way you will start to develop your own style of expression. As far as to your question. Every time you touch hands with someone of higher skill it increases your skill..

When you decide you are no longer a student, you become a stagnant pond.

People who dedicate themselves to their arts are always in a constant state of growth and development. If you actually catch up to your sifu's skill. Then I would question your sifu's ability. He/she should also be in a constant state of growth...

What I love about martial arts so much is that there isn't a finish line, just a journey...
    Finally Got my Sifu to share our Ngo Dac Na systematized training online.

You can visit us on Youtube

You can also find us at EnterShaolin.com

Every teacher is a student and every student is a teacher. There is no "date". This whole "you must master a, b and c before you can teach" is complete bull****.

Any fight is a random event.

We might try to lure things into a controlled and predictable way.

However, opportunity still comes up and goes.

We all teach what we know or good at.

We all learn from what we do not know or mistakes.

Teachers can be students in some area.

Students can be teachers in other area.

It is all good.

Pak Mei has a bad rap because a lot of gangsters did the art, and buddhist or other 'good' men didn't like the ethic.
    The fact that elements of the Police and military trained it as well seems to be less important. Has a bit to do with the fact that CLC was aligned with the Nationalist Chinese, and they were considered Gangsters by the Communists.

Rosa, you're welcome to come down to Sydney and have a chat any time, but I concur with the recommendation you take some grappling for quick efficient skill and combat experience, then pick a TCMA based from a good teacher, with a class you can make regularly, with people you enjoy. Style goes with the person, not the art. Doing is what makes it all happen, the sooner you start, the better.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia