Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long would you need a Sifu before you can practice on your own?

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You have to learn Cantonese first. A white hair and white eyebrow Bai Mei teacher is hard to find.

lol.

Not to mention, there are no secret magic special martial arts out there.
    Train as well as you are able.
    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable if you really want to learn martial art.
    Get out of your head and into the world, your teacher will be pain and if he doesn't show up, you aren't learning a martial art.
    Sifu is there to teach you the mechanics an the system. You are there to learn them. That's the contract anyone of any merit signs explicitly or implicitly.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I'm a small person 5'6 60 kgs and I've been **** weak all my life so the thought of possessing skills to smash someones skull or break someones arm sounds really good to me. But I guess the replies in this thread has made me come to my senses.

Xinyiquan good first CMA ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    This might sound really immature. I know its not the style that matters its the practitioner.

But Bak Mei is an art which I really want to learn, the fact that its known as a 'forbidden art' really intrigues me. I really like how its an art form designed to really do harm to the opponent. From all the research I have done it seems like it's the one of the only CMA styles in the world which doesn't have to modify itself from the traditional to be useful in a real life combat situation. High stances, joint locks, the pressure points all appeal to me a lot. I've read that it's the most brutally vicious out of all the Chinese martial arts. Is there any that even come close to it's effectiveness? I was wondering maybe I could go to a place where they teach high quality Bak Mei for like a month or two and learn some things...idk haha.
    There are vids and instruction manuals from some of the Masters whose Masters are of TCMA History. Get some of them and familiarize yourself with everything about the style you can, that way you can attend training seminars, etc. until you find the opportunity to train a spell with one of their reps. Bak Mei Kungfu is an excellent choice.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    lol.

Not to mention, there are no secret magic special martial arts out there.
    Train as well as you are able.
    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable if you really want to learn martial art.
    Get out of your head and into the world, your teacher will be pain and if he doesn't show up, you aren't learning a martial art.
    Sifu is there to teach you the mechanics an the system. You are there to learn them. That's the contract anyone of any merit signs explicitly or implicitly.
    Only the fist is forbidden, the rest of the style is not off limits: http://www.kungfumagazine.com/magazi...hp?article=131

So is the question "how long does it take to learn and properly understand a whole style" or "how much instruction do you need before you can practice applying what you have learned"?

Cause you can start practicing on your own on day one. Of course you will have to go back time and time again to get all you need. But you know... baby steps. Learn something, use it, get good at it, get corrected if needed etc etc. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    I'm a small person 5'6 60 kgs and I've been **** weak all my life so the thought of possessing skills to smash someones skull or break someones arm sounds really good to me. But I guess the replies in this thread has made me come to my senses.

Xinyiquan good first CMA ?
    It's a fine style with good power generation. I'm not sure if it's for the beginner though.

At your size I'd recommend studying a grappling art like BJJ. Judo is good too, but BJJ will add more focus on the ground which is where smaller people need the most help. Your size allows you to be elusive and faster than a bigger person but if they get a hold of you then you're probably going to the ground.

If you want to take the faster path then visit an MMA gym. If it's a good gym then you should find BJJ and Muay Thai which are a great combo.

I also recommend Filipino martial arts. It's no nonsense and can be brutally effective. There is good standup, joint locking and ground fighting in FMA, as well as blade and stick techniques.

Also, Rosa, you're a Texan.
    This implies you can carry a firearm.
    Maybe that would be something to consider learning as well and as suggested an FMA can teach you a lot of short stick and knife work.

Weapons give an advantage to a person of smaller stature. Trying to box is something that takes a considerable amount of time as compared to learning situational awareness and shooting.

Also, it doesn't hurt to spend time cultivating a deep respect for life itself if you undertake the study of things that are designed to end it abruptly.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The correct answer is two days.

I've changed my mind... The correct answer is now 3 days, but you will have to purchase the DVD and instructional guide in order to get the certificate of mastery.

Also, Rosa, you're a Texan.
    This implies you can carry a firearm.
    Maybe that would be something to consider learning as well and as suggested an FMA can teach you a lot of short stick and knife work.
    I agree about the firearm. Joining a local IDPA club is a great way to learn how to use one tactically. Even if you don't win all the matches you will walk away with some serious gun skill.

http://www.idpa.com

And, don't forget the Dulo Dulo! It's little, but devastating and can be carried as a keychain.

Name:  Dulo Dulo.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  47.8 KB

Bah... Dulo Dulo ain't sh*t!
    Now a petrified viking turd - that is a weapon!

Name:  250px-Lloydsbankcoprolite_001.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  8.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    Bah... Dulo Dulo ain't sh*t!
    Now a petrified viking turd - that is a weapon!

Name:  250px-Lloydsbankcoprolite_001.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  8.8 KB
    "a very rare find"

yeah no kidding. I flush all mine away like an idiot. From now on, I'm bagging them and selling them to museums as "future artifacts"...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"a very rare find"

yeah no kidding. I flush all mine away like an idiot. From now on, I'm bagging them and selling them to museums as "future artifacts"...

Piero Manzoni

The ninety cans of "Merda d'artista" ("Artist's ****, content 30 gr., freshly preserved, produced and tinned in May 1961"), were first exhibited in the Galleria Pescetto (Albisola Marina) on 12 August 1961.
    Manzoni calculated the value of the ninety cans - all numbered, each with a net weight of thirty grams - in accordance with the daily exchange rates for gold.
    http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/...7/text-summary

I believe the last can that was sold, sold for 97000 British Pound Sterling
    Last edited by MightyB; 01-23-2014 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

Piero Manzoni

http://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/...7/text-summary

I believe the last can that was sold, sold for 97000 British Pound Sterling
    Awesome! I'm off to get some tins!
    Also, I need to eat some chili... a lot of chili...
    Kung Fu is good for you.

How did this thread go so wrong??

Watch at your own risk. The real story starts after 1:20...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaE1H4u8Q8&sns=em

I call B.S. (no pun intended).