Thread: Pound of Flesh

Pound of Flesh

JCVD vs. organ harvesters.

Jean-Claude Van Damme Joins 'Pound of Flesh'
    1:40 PM PST 1/17/2014 by Etan Vlessing

Jean-Claude Van Damme
    Fred Dufour/AFP/Getty Images
    The action thriller from director Ernie Barbarash will shoot on location in China in March 2014.

TORONTO - Jean-Claude Van Damme is to play the lead in Pound of Flesh, a Canadian indie from action director Ernie Barbarash (6 Bullets, Assassination Games) and veteran fight choreographer John Salvitti.

The film, to shoot in March 2014 on location in China, will see Van Damme portray a man who rescues a woman in distress one night, only to wake up the next morning in a blood-soaked hotel bathtub without a kidney.

Joshua James wrote the script for Pound of Flesh, a co-production from Ace Studio and Odyssey Media.

"I’m looking forward to sinking my teeth into Pound of Flesh because it’s exactly the kind of character-driven action thriller I and my fans love best -- a movie that delivers nonstop hardcore action that’s fueled by a really surprising story and real people you care about from the moment you meet them on screen," said Van Damme in a statement.

Automatic Entertainment is handling international sales.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This looks promising

I have been reevaluating my opinion of JCVD since JCVD. Nevertheless, the photo below is way too large.
    Meaty role? JCVD takes his 'Pound of Flesh'...
    24th February 2014

2014 will be a busy production year for Jean-Claude Van Damme, not least as he looks for his 'Pound of Flesh' in a new thriller...
    Impact's original cover star Jean-Claude Van Damme has made a welcome return to the spotlight in recent months, the huge positive response to the Volvo Commercial (which we kid you not is now being screened as a work of art in the Louvre!) has done wonders for his profile, as has an impressive turn as the villain in the thriller Enemies Closer.He gives a remarkably measured comic turn in Welcome to the Jungle, showing his lighter side to full effect as does his stint on Will Ferrell's Funny or Die website.

But Van Damme fans shouldn't worry about their hero having abandoned the action genre. He will soon be seen as a 'man with a past he's trying to hide' in the thriller Swelter, which promises to bring a Banshee-meets-History of Violence vibe to the subject ...

And he makes a full blooded return to action in his latest project which goes before the cameras at the end of March...

Pound of Flesh, is being directed by Ernie Barbarash (whose credits include Assassination Games and Six Bullets with Van Damme and the highly anticipated Favela with Michael Jai White). The film will be shooting in China and follows Van Damme's character - a former military man forced to walk the road of vengeance when a chance encounter with a beautiful woman ends with him waking up in a bathtub full of ice... and the kidney he had planned to donate to the dying daughter of his estranged brother, on its way to the hands of the highest bidder.

Don't you just hate it when that happens?

It's got a Taken'esque slant with Van Damme as the 'Merchant of Vengeance'. The film will feature Van Damme kicking butt and taking names courtesy of high-impact fight choreography from longtime Donnie Yen mainstay John Salvitti (whose credits range from his debut in Line of Dity 4 and Tiger Cage 2, through Hero, Der Puma, Flashpoint and most recently Special ID).

Joining the cast for the film are John Ralston whose credits include everything from Degrassi The Next Generation to Flash Gordon playing Van Damme's onscreen brother, while everyones favourite cigarette smoking villain from the X-Files William B Davis plays the mysterious Rants, while the UK's Charlotte Peters plays Anna, and Kris Van Varenberg/Kris Van Damme plays Marcello.

While facing off against Van Damme as the lead villain in the project is another Hong Kong and Hollywood veteran in the shape of Britkicker Darren Shahlavi whose faced off against everyone from Donnie Yen in Ip Man 2, Eddie Murphy in I Spy, Michael jai-White in Mortal Kombat: Legacy and so much more over the course of a career that includes everything from Tai Chi Boxer/Tai Chi 2 with Yuen Woo-ping through Bloodmoon with Gary Daniels, 300, Chronicles of Rid**** and more. Shahlavi had the following to say about his involvement in the project.

"I've wanted to work with Jean-Claude Van Damme for so many years and i'm very excited to be finally getting to work with him on such a great project as Pound of Flesh. I love the script and the team that Director Ernie Barbarash and the Producers have put together for this film, including fight choreographer John Salvitti who i am also a huge fan of. I look forward to working hard with everyone to make an awesome action thriller that will make the fans very happy and deliver on all levels.

I'd like to thank Mike Leeder for bringing me to the attention of Jean-Claude, Ernie and the rest of the Producers and pushing for me as always.'

The film is being produced by Kirk Shaw of Odyssey Media, Jonathan Dubois and Henry Luk of Ace Studios, while Impact's very own Mike Leeder is also on board the project as Co-Producer amongst other things helping put together what sounds like one hell of a project.

And we'd like to start the campaign now... we the undersigned would like to see 'Big Mike' on the recieving end of some onscreen Van Dammage from our hero!

There'll be more exclusive news and more on the filming of the project over the next few weeks.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

It's a wrap

Van Damme’s Pound Of Flesh wraps in China
    27 May, 2014 | By Liz Shackleton

Ace Studios and Odyssey Media’s action thriller Pound Of Flesh, starring Jean Claude Van Damme, wrapped in Ace Studios’ facilities in Guangdong, China this week.

Directed by Ernie Barbarash, the film is produced by Odyssey’s Kirk Shaw and Ace Studios’ Henry Luk. It will be distributed by Odyssey, Automatic Entertainment and China’s Chunqiu Time Culture Co.

Van Damme stars alongside Canadian actor John Ralston, UK actress Charlotte Peters, UK martial arts actor Darren Shahlavi (Ip Man 2: Legend Of The Grandmaster), Marsha Yuan, Jason Tobin, Andrew Ng and Aki Aleong.

Action choreography was overseen by John Salvitti, who has worked on several films with Hong Kong action star Donnie Yen, including Kung Fu Jungle, Special ID, Iceman and Iceman 2.
    Curious to see what kind of distribution this will get...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ew

just a tad too much nekkid jcvd for me in this teaser...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

10+ min EPK

Good exposure for Shahlavi.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

May 20, 2015

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

our latest ezine offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes!

DOUBLE SWEEPSTAKES! Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for POUND OF FLESH on DVD!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 6/11/15.

PLUS Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for TAI CHI CHUAN MARTIAL POWER Autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 6/11/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review!

I really like JCVD since he crossed 50. He's matured and even though he doesn't move like he used to but he has a new gravitas. Now I got like a pound of these promo dvds when they came out (they sent me extra screeners beyond the prizes for the sweepstakes) but didn't get around to watching it. This is a tight little actioner. Good ultravi, no swordfights but a decent knife fight. Good plot too, for what it was. This was one of the last films of Darren Shalavi, a great stuntman and delivers a nice finale fight with JCVD.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips