Thread: RIP Pete Seeger

RIP Pete Seeger

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/ar...t-94.html?_r=0

A legend and folk hero. Dude had a great run. Much respect.

A side note... The history of this song is pretty sweet.

Be wary of great leaders - Pete Seeger

This is a guy that stood up for his beliefs in the House Committee on Unamerican Activities. Anyone familiar with the history knows that this was a committee that used intimidation tactics and people were VERY afraid to speak their mind there.

Here's a quote from wikipedia.

On August 18, 1955, Seeger was subpoenaed to testify before the House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC). Alone among the many witnesses after the 1950 conviction and imprisonment of the Hollywood Ten for contempt of Congress, Seeger refused to plead the Fifth Amendment (which would have asserted that his testimony might be self incriminating) and instead, as the Hollywood Ten had done, refused to name personal and political associations on the grounds that this would violate his First Amendment rights: "I am not going to answer any questions as to my association, my philosophical or religious beliefs or my political beliefs, or how I voted in any election, or any of these private affairs. I think these are very improper questions for any American to be asked, especially under such compulsion as this." Seeger's refusal to answer questions that violated his fundamental Constitutional rights led to a March 26, 1957, indictment for contempt of Congress; for some years, he had to keep the federal government apprised of where he was going any time he left the Southern District of New York. He was convicted in a jury trial of contempt of Congress in March 1961, and sentenced to ten 1-year terms in jail (to be served simultaneously), but in May 1962 an appeals court ruled the indictment to be flawed and overturned his conviction.
    Giant balls on this guy!
    Last edited by Syn7; 01-29-2014 at 09:17 PM.

I can never see the videos or pics anymore. Just a big empty space where they should be. I have to hit reply and copy it out of the text to see. I dunno why. I refuse to check with explorer cause, well, fuck explorer.