Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obasse & Kevin Gledhill chi sau

Hybrid View

Obasse & Kevin Gledhill chi sau

Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to anyone who think that there is chi sau in there.

It's easy to armchair, and I give them credit for putting it out there.
    BBBUUUTTTTT

A Positive: To be fair, Kev does a good job of maintaining his composure, self centerline and not over extending in response to whatever it is Obasi thinks is wing chun.

A Negative: WTF is Obasi even doing? Leaning WAY fwd and just pushing - to the point both his feet come off the ground several times. No self centerline, no control & no wing chun IMO.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    It's easy to armchair, and I give them credit for putting it out there.
    BBBUUUTTTTT

A Positive: To be fair, Kev does a good job of maintaining his composure, self centerline and not over extending in response to whatever it is Obasi thinks is wing chun.

A Negative: WTF is Obasi even doing? Leaning WAY fwd and just pushing - to the point both his feet come off the ground several times. No self centerline, no control & no wing chun IMO.
    Come on Kev is consistently being hit and not once landing a strike back on Obassi. Whatever you think of his structure, he is consistently about to get through and Kev can not do anything about it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    Come on Kev is consistently being hit and not once landing a strike back on Obassi. Whatever you think of his structure, he is consistently about to get through and Kev can not do anything about it.
    Kevin seems to be in the mind frame of doing the chi sao drill, where as Shawn seems to in the mode of a fight. Not a good comparison of chi sao skills, it's comparing apples to oranges. To get a fair comparison Kevin should either fight or shawn should stay within the context of chi sao

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Kevin seems to be in the mind frame of doing the chi sao drill, where as Shawn seems to in the mode of a fight. Not a good comparison of chi sao skills, it's comparing apples to oranges. To get a fair comparison Kevin should either fight or shawn should stay within the context of chi sao
    I agree completely. At least Kevin is doing WC and maintaining his structure. I'm not sure what Obasi was doing. Did you notice what Keven said as they broke apart at the end ...around 0:33? I couldn't hear very well, but it sounds like he said "This isn't our Chi Sau." Obasi responds "But what is it?". Yeah Shaun, what the heck were you doing? Anyway, it's good to see people posting clips. Props for that.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    This.

The only fighting system I see Shawn displaying is the little-known martial art of "I'll beat you to death with my face and chin". I believe that one was invented by 12 year olds on playgrounds.
    learn->practice->habit->reflex->instinct

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    ------------------------------------------------------

Good luck to anyone who think that there is chi sau in there.
    Well apparently neither did Kevin think there was chi sau there. At the end he says "This, er, isn't chi sau" to which Shawn replied, "well what is it?". As Kevin begins to explain "well it's er...", Shawn interrupts and looks to the camera, with a slightly disappointed look, and waves his hand commanding the camera man to "stop". I assume that because Shawn just wants to try to embarrass people and make a name for himself, a little bit of information was superfluous to his video recording purposes. Is it me or are we seeing an agenda here between Izzo, Shawn, the 52blocks guys and a few others?
    Last edited by Paddington; 01-31-2014 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    Well apparently neither did Kevin think there was chi sau there. At the end he says "This, er, isn't chi sau" to which Shawn replied, "well what is it?". As Kevin begins to explain "well it's er...", Shawn interrupts and looks to the camera, with a slightly disappointed look, and waves his hand commanding the camera man to "stop". I assume that because Shawn just wants to try to embarrass people and make a name for himself, a little bit of information was superfluous to his video recording purposes. Is it me or are we seeing an agenda here between Izzo, Shawn, the 52blocks guys and a few others?
    The agenda is always the same - people promoting themselves/their method. To be fair, I think Kevin said: "This isn't our Chi Sau."

Maybe Obassi is doing the Wing Chun that Kevin used to do and so Obassi is thinking using the conceptual framework that Kevin tells us he's moved on from now that he has a real understanding of what VT is.

But seriously, the problem for me is not Obassi's agenda or that the Gor Sau was recorded, but what we see in it. I didn't expect to see any quality from Obassi, but I was a bit shocked to see this from Kevin. Obassi's attacks might have been all over the place, but he's a big guy and he put the pressure on... and Kevin was defending rather than... well, the things he talks about when describing PBVT on this forum.

I'm a little shocked as Kevin has spent many, many posts telling people here that their Wing Chun is based on misconceptions and faulty logic, and yet when a big chap in Gor Sau applies some pressure, I don't see from Kevin the superior method he's been pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by BPWT. View Post
    The agenda is always the same - people promoting themselves/their method. To be fair, I think Kevin said: "This isn't our Chi Sau."

Maybe Obassi is doing the Wing Chun that Kevin used to do and so Obassi is thinking using the conceptual framework that Kevin tells us he's moved on from now that he has a real understanding of what VT is.

But seriously, the problem for me is not Obassi's agenda or that the Gor Sau was recorded, but what we see in it. I didn't expect to see any quality from Obassi, but I was a bit shocked to see this from Kevin. Obassi's attacks might have been all over the place, but he's a big guy and he put the pressure on... and Kevin was defending rather than... well, the things he talks about when describing PBVT on this forum.

I'm a little shocked as Kevin has spent many, many posts telling people here that their Wing Chun is based on misconceptions and faulty logic, and yet when a big chap in Gor Sau applies some pressure, I don't see from Kevin the superior method he's been pitching.
    I think to be fair to Kevin he held his own against a stronger guy. I could clearly see PBVT and you can tell he has a sound understanding of his boxing forms and how they use shapes and strucrure.

Obasi is just freeing it up and not so regermented. Both guys are good my my humble opion.

On Obassi's Facebook page he was at first promoting a "challenge fight", but later came back and said he changed his mind about fighting but still went to meet him.

What it looks like is Obassi asked him to chi-sau, which Kevin looked like he was trying to do (it's a cooperative drill), but Obassi's motive was to spazz out trying to fight him... or something, whatever he was doing.

A cheap tactic to make Kevin look bad and himself good?

Epic fail on both ends.

we finally get to see a video of Kevin in action...after all this time waiting....my god!!
    and to top it all off its a thread he cant delete

One thing my teacher always stresses is that a lot of VT presupposes that your opponent will use VT. This is the fallacy I see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    Been there. Done that. Posted earlier in the thread.