Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Obasse & Kevin Gledhill chi sau

Chi Sau??

umm no

I think the only way to deal with someone like this from my point of view is forget trying to roll with this guy and start punching!
    It would take me only a few second to realise that this was never going to work and start hitting!
    Obassi was probably on some kind of mission in his mind god knows but I think I would have been far less tolerant but maybe that's just my weakness!

Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    [...] Obasi would NOT have done this to Alan Orr. ;-)
    Now that is a chi sau session that I would pay to see!

Blog Entries
    In the past, things like this had happened quite often in the CMA world. It started with a friendly challenge and later on it turned into something ugly. How can you prevent this from happening to you? You can

1. reject the challenge.
    2. accept the challenge, but stop when you detect that your opponent does not follow the original agreement.
    3. accept the challenge, but be prepare to change your strategy anytime you may feel needed.
    4. apply your strategy right in the beginning (such as try to knock your opponent out with your 1st punch).

Method 1 may be too conservative. Method 4 may be too aggressive. Method 2 may be hard to do. It's not that easy to stop the fight when pressure has been built up. This will only leave method 3. In order to be able to change strategy in the middle of the game, you will need to train more than one strategy and be good at it. The question is what are those different strategies? How to train it?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Why did anyone think Kevin had any skill. This is a guy that complained it wasn't fair if someone grabbed during chi sao because it made it to hard for him to do his thing. Sad after all the years he has ripped other wing chun families to see he and PBVT is no better than everything else he has run down.

Obasi pushing and muscling. This is a gift if you can "receive what comes". Clearly Kevin does not have functional structure and has no ability to receive. Wing Chun does not run away step straight back or turn away exposing your back. Kevin does all 3 as fast as his little legs will let him. It seems to me PBVT maxim is"run away from what comes and by thankful when is goes".

Youknowwho made great points about challenges. I would have expected to see someone with 30 years of wing chun apply points 2 or 3. Kevin has bragged how he has hit people like Sam Kwok during what was supposed to be friendly chi sao. Interesting when the jerkiness goes full circle.

Vid title wing chun big men chi sao on obasi youtube wing chun ronin channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRps...dYSNxg&index=3

Link to Obasi chi sao with sam kwok grand student. Obasi no different than with Kev .

another vs a small guy. 2 great way's to compare to kev

http://youtu.be/EOG7SFLOoi4
    Last edited by hunt1; 02-01-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post
    why did anyone think kevin had any skill. This is a guy that complained it wasn't fair if someone grabbed during chi sao because it made it to hard for him to do his thing. Sad after all the years he has ripped other wing chun families to see he and pbvt is no better than everything else he has run down.

Obasi pushing and muscling. This is a gift if you can "receive what comes". Cleary kevin does not have functional structure and has no ability to receive. Wing chun does not run away step straight back or turn away exposing your back. Kevin does all 3 as fast as his little legs will let him. It seems to me pbvt maxim is"run away from what comes and by thankful when is goes".

Youknow made great points about challenges. I would have expected to see someone with 30 years of wing chun apply points 2 or 3. Kevin has bragged how he as hit people like sam kwok during what was supposed to be friendly chi sao. Interesting when the jerkiness goes full circle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qorps...dysnxg&index=3

link to obasi chi sao with sam kwok grand student. Obasi no different than with kev .

Another vs a small guy. 2 great way's to compare to kev

http://youtu.be/eog7sflooi4
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vbg

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    While not trying to do real damage, Obasi was obviously emotional and trying to prove something. Kevin was pretty calm throughout and just trying to get into some sort of rolling platform with him as far as I could tell, but Obasi kept making it some sort of struggle, which is why it made it look like Kevin was chasing hands when he tried to set up properly. He was looking to get into chi-sau, not just fight. Obasi just wasn't cooperating. Eventually Kevin paused and said this isn't our chi-sau. Then Obasi's reaction was rather c0cky. I think he may have actually been proud of himself.

Sure, Kevin could have played Obasi's game then and stepped it up, but then it would have turned into a full brawl and someone would have gotten hurt. Obasi was emotional enough as it was. You can't change the mind of a stubborn person like that without actually knocking them out. I think all this clip shows is that Obasi completely falls apart when his emotions get to him. (Did you see him throw his baby fit when the MMA recruiters told him he wasn't good enough? lol)
    Good observation. That MMA tryout vid with him crying, screaming and kissing peoples feet was embarrassing. He's also very emotional when he posts on his youtube channel as well as facebook. And, some of his older clips on youtube were great evidence of this - to the point he had to take them down to save some dignity. Smart move on his part, because if those were still around, some might even question his sanity.
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 02-01-2014 at 04:35 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by chaotic2k View Post
    What would them fighting prove? Obasi is clearly the better fighter but this is due to alot of other factors not juat wing chun. Kevin is a Wing chun Vet with alot of experience and is from the old school. One is maybe a bettwr teacher while the other is a better fighter?!?!
    Not sure how you can say obasi is a better of a fighter from watching this clip. His lack of balance, root, constant pushing and grabbing would say otherwise IMO. Could be a true statement, but not from what we can see here

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    at least obassi has actually fought MMA and won a few full contact matches, until you have posted clips of yourself (or heck anyone from your lineage) doing the same your judgement of his skills is worthless and meaningless.
    Ture, Obasi has fought 'MMA', but against whom? Have you seen some of those fights?? They were far from stellar, and some against guys so out of shape, they were out of breath and falling down just from touching gloves! To be fair, he does earn some credit for stepping up and fighting - it's more that a lot of armchair warriors would do. But if you actually watch them, most of the showings aren't something to brag about (maybe his one cage fight was 'okish')
    Last edited by JPinAZ; 02-01-2014 at 04:36 PM.
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    Can I get that 40 seconds of my life back? What has Shawn Obasse been eating?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post
    Not sure how you can say obasi is a better of a fighter from watching this clip. His lack of balance, root, constant pushing and grabbing would say otherwise IMO.
    Obasi didn't fall down. His "lack of balance, root" may indicate that he has good "dynamic rooting - lose rooting and regain it back ability". Also why "grabbing" is bad thing?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2014 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Obasi didn't fall down. His "lack of balance, root" may indicate that he has good "dynamic rooting - lose rooting and regain it back ability". Also why "grabbing" is bad thing?
    Slipping and being on the verge of falling is a good thing and provides your punches with proper support?

Regarding grabbing, do you do Wing Chun or Shuai Jiao?
    Dio perdona... Io no!

One thing my teacher always stresses is that a lot of VT presupposes that your opponent will use VT. This is the fallacy I see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist View Post
    Regarding grabbing, do you do Wing Chun or ...?
    You may not want to do that, but you have to

1. develop the ability to prevent your opponent from doing that, or
    2. be able to handle you opponent when he does that.

1 is very hard to do. If you can do 2, you will have good training. IMO, CMA training is to "solve problems". Most of the time, those problems may come from outside of your own systems.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-01-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You may not want to do that, but you have to

1. develop the ability to prevent your opponent from doing that, or
    2. be able to handle you opponent when he does that.

1 is very hard to do. If you can do 2, you will have good training.
    Agreed. .
    Dio perdona... Io no!

I watched the vid stop frame by the second. Saw 2 sizable guys arm grapple with some pushing, very little striking or foot/leg blocking. Each of them were dislodged at some point but all in all both standing their ground. The only WC stylized sparring/fighting I see anywhere to be truthful is in movies, otherwise, MMA at best in performance, minus high, jump or spin kicks. Frame by frame there is a lot to ward off in the vid. Thumbs up!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt1 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoRps...dYSNxg&index=3

Link to Obasi chi sao with sam kwok grand student. Obasi no different than with Kev .

another vs a small guy. 2 great way's to compare to kev

http://youtu.be/EOG7SFLOoi4
    I see absolutely no value in the type of "chi-sau" Obasi does. It's just arm struggling. Completely useless.