Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Obasse & Kevin Gledhill chi sau

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    Absolutely. Quite the ego for a man of such meager skills.
    I think he is being egged on by the likes of Izzo too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I think there are a lot of people, myself included, that could learn a lot from what you have just said. It would be useful to hear Kevin's POV but I am not sure it is going to be forthcoming. Looking at Obasi's other clips I still feel there is an agenda there and that this meeting with Kevin was a little bit of a set up, particularly given how it is being presented by Obasi on his youtube page. It fits with with what I have seen Obasi do elsewhere.
    Agenda? What about the PBWT agenda of shooting down everything on this forum, then only postings clips where they chi-sau in an environment suitable to them. Or coming up with there classic street fight comments. Bottom line is Obasse got through consistently and Kev could not land one strike.

Quote Originally Posted by slick69 View Post
    Bottom line is Obasse got through consistently and Kev could not land one strike.
    There's another line below that that says Kev didn't try to land a strike because this was only a fight in one man's mind.

Agenda? What about the PBWT agenda of shooting down everything on this forum, then only postings clips where they chi-sau in an environment suitable to them. Or coming up with there classic street fight comments. Bottom line is Obasse got through consistently and Kev could not land one strike.
    It is one thing to wax lyrical on the Interwebs and another to post videos titled 'chi sao challenge match' when it looks like the other person, kevin, was not aware it was a challenge match. I am making a guess here and only kevin and shawn can really answer. Either way, it seems that if Obasi went from the outset and stated to kevin it was to be a challenge match, then we would have seen more aggression from kevin and perhaps more of a fight rather than the purported training exercise that is chi sau.

The reason why I say agenda is becasue if you follow Obasi, Izzo, the guys from 52blocks online, you will see that they are in communication with one another and teaming up in comments sections and videos to insult other sifus and stir things up. I have no problem with people testing themselves and doing challenge matches just I think it should be done overtly and not via what seems like a set up. I am very much reminded of the recent Randy Williams affair of which Obasi was involved.

There's another line below that that says Kev didn't try to land a strike because this was only a fight in one man's mind.
    So strike's not allowed in chi-sau? Please! Kev was out of his depth against someone stronger than him. Isn't Wing Chun about learning how to deal with that...

So strike's not allowed in chi-sau?
    Whatever was taking place wasn't chi-sau, nor was it fighting... so nothing much came from Kev except bewilderment until he finally paused to figure out wtf was going on.

It is one thing to wax lyrical on the Interwebs and another to post videos titled 'chi sao challenge match' when it looks like the other person, kevin, was not aware it was a challenge match. I am making a guess here and only kevin and shawn can really answer. Either way, it seems that if Obasi went from the outset and stated to kevin it was to be a challenge match, then we would have seen more aggression from kevin and perhaps more of a fight rather than the purported training exercise that is chi sau.

The reason why I say agenda is becasue if you follow Obasi, Izzo, the guys from 52blocks online, you will see that they are in communication with one another and teaming up in comments sections and videos to insult other sifus and stir things up. I have no problem with people testing themselves and doing challenge matches just I think it should be done overtly and not via what seems like a set up. I am very much reminded of the recent Randy Williams affair of which Obasi was involved.
    If you look at the FB forums it's clear it was a chi-sau challenge which Kev accepted after critique of Obasse. So please stop inventing things.

If you look at the FB forums it's clear it was a chi-sau challenge which Kev accepted after critique of Obasse. So please stop inventing things.
    Well I did say it was a guess. I did not know this. Do you have a link?

Well I did say it was a guess. I did not know this. Do you have a link?
    You have to be on FaceBook and be part of the Wing Chun Forum, or a friend of Obasse.

Obasi first said there would be a "challenge match", then later said "I've changed my mind about fighting him but I still had to meet him"... and then we see what happened. So...who's inventing what?

Obasi first said there would be a "challenge match", then later said "I've changed my mind about fighting him but I still had to meet him"... and then we see what happened. So...who's inventing what?
    So no fight, but chi-sau after Kev critique Obasse structure. Sounds fair and the PBWT wonderful structure could not deal with Obasse.

Blog Entries
    Where will you draw the line between sticky hands and free sparring?
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

So no fight, but chi-sau after Kev critique Obasse structure. Sounds fair and the PBWT wonderful structure could not deal with Obasse.
    Don't know what "PBWT" is or who "Obasse" is... but yeah, Obasi backed out of an actual fight and went the route of trying to fight through chi-sau so he had a better chance since he'd be the only one fighting in such a format.

As a result, he looked like an idiot, and a double idiot when he posted it as a "Chi Sao Challenge Match". Whether you call it chi-sau or fighting, which it was neither, he just looked like an angry spazkid trying to prove a point. The only point he proved is that he indeed has no structure and actually sucks hard.

You’ve Made a Very Valid Point

I think there are a lot of people, myself included, that could learn a lot from what you have just said. It would be useful to hear Kevin's POV but I am not sure it is going to be forthcoming. Looking at Obasi's other clips I still feel there is an agenda there and that this meeting with Kevin was a little bit of a set up, particularly given how it is being presented by Obasi on his youtube page. It fits with with what I have seen Obasi do elsewhere.

But, Kevin knew who ‘Obasse’ was/is, and still put his toe in the water to see how warm it was. I’m sorry to say that it was only his ego that made him jump in (ego = without God + putting self in the way) which was more than likely all based on what he was told, rather than what was truly developed.

I feel that he would’ve been more of a man (not saying he isn’t) to just walk away from ‘Obasse’, after all, Kevin didn’t challenge anyone, so he had the upper hand by simply moving outside of that invitation. But he went tit for tat before he’d jump out of the water, which in the end brought more shame then respect.

Take care,
    Last edited by Ali. R; 01-31-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Hilarious!!!! Really, this one is the one that should have the title "PBVT sparring clip".

There is so much disconnect in this video it's hilarious.

Kevin is trying to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcWcy2NA1pk

Shawn is doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC4E975uLFw

And the only thing I'm left with after watching this has nothing to do with thinking about either guy's skill, it's "how retarded am I, trying to encourage WCK people to spar with each other" ????????