Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Legends of Kung Fu Tournament, July 18 - 20, Dallas WHO BE IN?

some pix

I just posted 67 pix in our Legends of Kung Fu facebook album. More to come.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

more pix

Just posted another 58 pix in our Legends of Kung Fu facebook photo album.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

even more pix

Just posted another 49 pix in our Legends of Kung Fu facebook photo album.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

still more pix

Just posted another 27 pix in our Legends of Kung Fu facebook photo album.

Did I mention that I took these pix? It was the worst venue for photography. Due to a hotel snafu (not Legends of Kung Fu's fault - the hotel even posted letters of apology at the door), the event was moved to Austin Ranch, which was a honky tonk bar. It made for a colorful backdrop as you can see in the pix, but it was really tough to shoot there. They had spotlights coming down from the walls, aimed directly at the floor (and into my lens if at the wrong angle), and hanging lights over most of the rings creating shadows and light spots, plus they had big doors and windows open on three sides of the building for ventilation and those let in blinding outdoor light. To top it off, the floors were carpeted in bright red which threw my camera into a tizzy. I had to toggle my camera setting every time I moved positions and I'm no camera lighting expert. Even the Master's Demo, which was held at the hotel, had issues. They place these long black-light tubes at the front of stage to light up the dragon, but that interacts with the fluorescent lights of the room and further annoys my camera. I lost a lot of good shots because my settings were off.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

last 2014 pix

Just posted the last 21 pix in our Legends of Kung Fu facebook photo album.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We were only able to make it on Saturday. Certainly hope that it was a good experience for all the competitors. It was good for my students to see the way that CMA is represented in the different styles, the age ranges and skill levels of the participants. It's been about 7 yrs since I saw my good friend from CO who is still the exuberant individual I remember him to be, and met up with a friend from Houston who I didn't even remember was a fellow Martial Artist. Hope to actively participate in the circuits by 2015. Congrats to everyone and Best Regards

I did manage to get a shirt from the tournament. I like the Wicking material. Better than the standard old cotton shirts.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Si & mk

Sorry we didn't meet, SI. Or maybe we did. Did we? I don't always know the real identity of forum members.

You were missed MK. I'm surprised that shirt works for you. Do you mean the judge's shirts? It's a China-made synthetic fabric, and the 'wicking' doesn't quite function properly for me personally. In fact, it seems to do the opposite, like some polyesters.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I dunno. A friend brought me back a green shirt. I haven't sweated in it,yet. But it was comfy as a Jammie top :-)
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Greetings Gene, we met briefly years ago (taking pictures of forum members) but I wouldn't expect you to remember me as it's been quite a while, 10 years. This time around you were speaking with Christophe when I saw you and I didn't feel like it was a good moment to interrupt. Here's some images from 2004 in Dallas. Best regards to everyone. Hope to interact with more members in the spirit of martial arts in the near future.
    Name:  kfm group014.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  100.3 KBName:  kfm.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  77.9 KB

Wow, I had more hair back then. Sorry my memory faltered SI

Alas, you should've joined in. Christophe and I are old friends and would have welcomed you into the conversation. Apart from a smattering of gossip, we weren't talking about anything that secretive anyway. Next time!

MK- a green shirt? That must have been the commemorative shirt. I think that may have been made of the same material as I imagine Wong Sifu gets his whole line from the same Chinese maker. But who knows? Let us know if it stands up to your sweat test.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips