Thread: Know any good teachers in Wuhan?

Know any good teachers in Wuhan?

Might be moving there this May for work, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good teachers. Thanks in advance.

Do you have anything in particular you are looking for? How much experience do you have?

The sports university (武汉体育学院) might be a good place to start. The first floor of the "Heavy Training Hall" usually has traditional gongfu practice throughout the day, very early in the morning is a good time to make friends. There's a park in Wuhan University where some people practice gongfu, but foreigners are discouraged from hanging out there. There are also a number of commercial schools in Wuhan, though the quality is low and price high.
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Wuhan

Shifu Goi is probably the best there. A genuine 14th generation of the Wudang Sangfeng sect, he has studied with shaolin also. He very much an 'all-rounder' with great variety of weapons skills.
    He's a good teacher.
    A few years back he was chosen as one of a select few from China to visit and perform in Texas, I don't have any dates for that but maybe you can find something if you google around.
    I can give you his qq or phone number if you want to send me a pm and he agrees to me giving it to you, but you really need to speak good chinese .

Quote Originally Posted by GETHIN View Post
    Shifu Goi is probably the best there. A genuine 14th generation of the Wudang Sangfeng sect, he has studied with shaolin also. He very much an 'all-rounder' with great variety of weapons skills.
    He's a good teacher.
    A few years back he was chosen as one of a select few from China to visit and perform in Texas, I don't have any dates for that but maybe you can find something if you google around.
    I can give you his qq or phone number if you want to send me a pm and he agrees to me giving it to you, but you really need to speak good chinese .
    What is his Chinese name? Where does he teach?
    "I'm a highly ranked officer of his tong. HE is the Dragon Head. our BOSS. our LEADER. the Mountain Lord." - hskwarrior

Guo Dongwei

This is Guo's profile from a school he taught at in Wudang when I was there a few years back. After that he moved to Wuhan, I don't have an address for him although we stay in touch by phone and email. Are you in Wuhan ?.

Guo Dongwei is an outstanding 15th generation disciple of the Wudang Sanfeng sect. He was born in Ju ye county which is located at He Ze city in Shangdong province. Since eight years old, he began to learn provisions of the national juvenile boxing. When he was 11 years old, he started learning external fist style, and came to learn Wudang internal martial arts at 15.

He was selected as a member of the Wudang Kungfu Group in 2002, since then, he visited Brunei, Taiwan, Macau, Singapore and other countries and regions with the delegation, also performed Wudang kungfu for national leaders and international friends. At the end of 2004, he took part in and performed at the opening ceremony of the 2nd World Mrtial Arts & Free-boxing Tournament hold in Macau.

He was invited by Singapore Taoist Association to take part in the performance for the birthday of Laotzu, and was warmly received by the President of Singapore in March, 2006. In July, he was invited to perform in Austin, the best little city in America. In September and October this year, he took part in the performance for the Intangible Cultural Heritage in Beijing and the minority sports meeting of Hunan Province respectively.

Coach Guo is expert in Wudang Sanfeng Taichi, pu dao, nine-section whip, eight-immortals stick and cavort.

Shifu Goi is probably the best there. ....
    Yes. But would be be willing to teach me? . . . Being Jewish and all. . .

This is Guo's profile from a school he taught at in Wudang when I was there a few years back. After that he moved to Wuhan, I don't have an address for him although we stay in touch by phone and email. Are you in Wuhan ?.
    I lived in Wuhan for 3 years. Calling him "probably the best there" is awfully presumptuous. The commercial schools around Wudangshan aren't held in the highest of regard. There's good traditional gongfu in the area near Wudangshan, but there's a lot of weird "Zhang Sanfeng-sect Taichi" and baji that isn't really baji..

Faux Newbie, where will you be living in Wuhan?

In response to the various questions:

I have done kung fu since '95, studied korean arts before that. I'm 43, so not necessarily looking for contemporary wushu (nothing against it, just not interested in heavy gymnastic focus).

My Chinese is decent, though I'll probably be a bit rusty at the start. I'm currently looking on Baidu to familiarize myself with life there as much as possible, I will probably do some searched on shuai jiao schools, other schools are better found by word of mouth, in my limited experience.

I'm not sure where in Wuhan I'll be yet, currently it's not clear if work will be in Beijing or Wuhan, but Wuhan is currently looking more likely.

Most of my study has been wudang related, though I am mainly looking for a good place with good kung fu and good people. A Chen style teacher I know in Zhumadian is also supposed to get back to me in case he knows anyone that can help, as he has traveled a bit, and we are on excellent terms.

I'm surprised by the park that foreigners are discouraged from frequenting. My China experience is limited to smaller cities and villages, for the most part, but I never had any problems with going to the parks. Is this more common in the larger cities?
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 02-03-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Yeah, Wuhan University's park (out of many) really surprised me. Wuhan University is generally really nice and has lots of international students.There are some Yiquan guys that not only got violent with me, but have gotten rough with two others that I know of. I have no idea if those guys still hang out there. There are baji, taiji, and hongquan people there too, and those groups seemed nice enough.

For Shuai Jiao, I would definitely go to the sports uni (Wuhan Institute of Physical Education). I believe they train on the top floor of the "Heavy Training Hall", which is the first building on the left as you enter the center gates. If they don't fit what you are looking for, I'm sure the coach or the players will know other places to train.

Word of mouth is the best way to go.