Thread: Man with the Iron Fists 2: Sting of the Scorpion

Man with the Iron Fists 2: Sting of the Scorpion

Our original TMwtIF thread.

RZA Unveils Man With the Iron Fists Sequel Title; Talks Brick Mansions Action, Tony Jaa Injury
    The actor-director-producer-Wu Tanger spills on what they’re calling the Iron Fists sequel and the rest of his busy film schedule.

January 15th, 2014 Fred Topel

RZA was on a panel before the Television Critics Association for Fox’s upcoming drama “Gang Related.” When the panel was over, I went up on stage to get some updates on RZA’s movie projects. However, I was surprised he announced one I didn’t even know about. There will be a sequel to his directorial debut, The Man with the Iron Fists, and RZA told me the title.

“Sting of the Scorpion,” RZA said in front of a group of reporters. “It’s Man with the Iron Fists 2: Sting of the Scorpion.”

RZA is not directing this time, but said the sequel will include some characters returning from the original.

“I just finished writing it,” RZA said. “I just wrote the new screenplay and gave it to a new director. I think it’s going to go. Some of the same characters will be back.”

Before that, RZA costarred in Brick Mansions, the American remake of the Parkour movie District B13 with the late Paul Walker.

“[Walker]’s a beautiful guy, to get a chance to meet him and work with him," RZA said. "They brought the original actor, David Belle, to do the same character. The director (Camille Delamarre) I think was new, but he seemed very focused, a lot of action and comedy mixed together.”

Although RZA is a practicing martial artist, we will not get to see him do Parkour in Brick Mansions. “No, no, no, no, no, I got guns,” RZA said.

He also recently co-starred with Thai martial arts icon Tony Jaa in Tom Yum Goong 2, which resulted in a shoulder injury that’s still bothering RZA.

“These guys do a lot for real and they put some pressure on me to do a few things for real. I have an injury that I’m still shaking off," RZA said. "Tony put a grip on me. I tried to act like I knew what I was doing and man, that thing took me out."

We’ll have more on Tom Yum Goong 2 after we take a sabbatical in the jungle.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

December 2014 release

The Blacksmith is returning at the end of 2014
    By Albert Valentin

The Blacksmith is back. Despite a negative reaction from critics and fans upon its 2012 release, the titular MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS is returning for a new adventure, this time under the helm of the man who delivers “action sequels” galore.

Dutch-born director Roel Reine, who has been responsible for some recent direct-to-DVD installments of franchise series such as THE SCORPION KING 3: BATTLE FOR REDEMPTION, 12 ROUNDS 2: RELOADED and DEATH RACE 3: INFERNO, will be directing THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS: STING OF THE SCORPION. Robert Diggs, also known as The RZA, wrote the screenplay, which is being kept under wraps in addition to returning to his role of “The Blacksmith”.

Casting for the film was done by Mike Leeder, the Eastern editor of Impact Online. Joining the cast are Dustin Nguyen, Ocean Hou, and Simon Yin. The film also brings a reunion of the co-stars of the 2006 action film BODYGUARD: A NEW BEGINNING, Carl Ng and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. In an interview with Rolling Stone back in October, RZA did mention some characters from the original film are set to return and it looks as though confirmed are Andrew Lin and Grace Huang, who played a brother-sister team with intricate weapons that together form a yin and yang symbol.

It is unclear whether the film will be released in theaters or direct-to-DVD. However, in any case, THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS 2: STING OF THE SCORPION is due for a December 2014 release by Universal.
    TSK3: BfR
    DR3: I
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sorta forgot about this one...

...until just now.

Dustin Nguyen Faces Off With RZA In THE MAN WITH THE IRON FISTS 2 Trailer
    Todd Brown, Founder and Editor

Though RZA's directorial and starring effort The Man With The Iron Fists under performed at the box office it still did enough business for Universal to quietly give the go ahead to a straight-to-video sequel with the directing duties this time handed off to DTV stalwart Roel Reine, the Dutch helmer responsible for a pair of Death Race sequels along with Scorpion King 3.

This is not to say things can't be solidly entertaining, though, as the addition of Twitch fave Dustin Nguyen in a key role is always a plus as is Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. And the trailer looks pretty solid as well. Take a look below!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Official U.S. BRD & DVD release 4/14/15

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for THE MAN WITH IRON FISTS 2: Unrated Blu-Ray™ + DVD + DIGITAL HD! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 4/16/15.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thanks to MwtIF2, I got to interview Dustin Nguyen

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RZA as Black Belt Jones?

Apr 14, 2015 @ 11:30 AM
    RZA on His Kung Fu Wisdom and the Movie He Wants to Remake
    The Wu-Tang leader, director, and actor talks about his history with martial arts.
    By Miles Raymer

Martial arts have always played a huge role in the mythology of the Wu-Tang Clan, a rap group that seemed more inspired by kung fu movies than other rappers. They wove references to the films into their lyrics, their imagery, and even the beats supplied by Clan leader RZA, which often incorporated sound effects and dialogue from the '70s-era kung fu flicks he grew up on. In 2011 RZA made the leap from martial arts movie fan to martial arts filmmaker with The Man with the Iron Fists, a vibrant attempt to reproduce the surreal maximalism of a classic Shaw Brothers production. Now he's followed it up with The Man with the Iron Fists 2, available on DVD and Blu-ray today, in which he once again plays Thaddeus, an escaped American slave who stumbles into a new life in China as a roving vigilante with a heart of gold and two massive weapons at the end of his arms. Esquire caught up with RZA to talk about where the movie's inspiration came from.

"It may be simple, yo: strong body, strong mind."

ESQUIRE: You're something of a philosopher, and I was wondering how much of your philosophy there is in the movie.

RZA: As the writer of the film I get a chance to make a setting that's imaginative, to make characters that are imaginative, and maybe sometimes get lucky to fit some philosophy or ideas into a film. To me, there should always be a spoonful of philosophy in a movie. I look at Woody Allen, one of the best writers ever, Tarantino, and there's always something thought-provoking in their films, and I aspire to do the same thing. In this particular one, I think what I was trying to point out is that during the same time Thaddeus was going through... as a black man from America who's now living a different life, the life of a free man at a time when the rest of his family most likely wasn't free, he comes across other places where there's still oppression. He didn't escape it, you know?

It seems like one of the big themes is that Thaddeus is searching for personal peace and yet he still feels a responsibility to the people around him. Is that something you've experienced in your personal life?

Definitely. Definitely. That's one thing about the character that's in me. There's a slight metaphor with that character's journey and my journey. My journey turns out well at the end, so far. Who would've known though?

Martial arts have played a huge role in your life, it seems. I was wondering what they've taught you, the films and your practice and the principles they seem to have imparted to you.

It may be simple, yo: strong body, strong mind. Body and mind have to become one. The reason why martial arts was designed was because the monks were good at meditating but they weren't good physically. So they have them exercises to help them build their physical so they could achieve high on their mental and on their spiritual. Martial arts is healthy, man. Any kid who takes a martial arts class, he learns confidence, he learns strength, he's becoming stronger without even knowing. And if you never ever have to defend yourself, the looseness of your muscles, of your tendons, the blood circulation that it builds up, the breathing that it builds up will help you in your elder years. They say the oldest person in the world is a 140-year-old tai chi practitioner.

You practice martial arts. What's your regimen like?

I would say, first and foremost, that I practice mental martial arts more than anything. But on a physical level, I was shown qigong by my Shaolin master and I was fortunate to learn Hung Ga from a Hung Ga master, which is basically the tiger style of kung fu. It's the same style that Gordon Liu used in The 36th Chamber [of Shaolin]. I was able to get that form shown to me by a true master. It was a blessing to have... I'll tell you the truth real quick. This man was probably 80 years old, and I would practice with him and we'd do... you hit each other's arms and hit each other's shins. This old man was hurting me man, you know what I'm saying? I'm serious! His arms was like steel, yo. I had to keep going because I didn't want to be embarrassed. I was back at the hotel room and I told my assistant, "Tomorrow you practice that with him and I'll watch."

You're a fan of kung fu movies from way back. Tell me a little about your first encounters with them and what drew you to them in the first place.

My first kung fu movie was a double feature: a Bruce Lee Film and a Jim Kelly film. It was mostly first the action that attracted me. When I saw Five Deadly Venoms I was hooked. Just the imagination in that movie... you've got a guy who sticks to walls, another guy who weapons can't hurt, another guy who does the snake style who has the snake agility sliding on the floor, and another guy who does centipede style, he has two hands that's like a thousand hands. You know you're a kid watching that, it just sparks the imagination for a nine-year-old. Then a few years later I saw 36th Chamber, which was actually called Master Killer at the time, and this one was the one that got me into the philosophy of it. Because, you know, after my third time watching it there was a scene where [the protagonist, played by Gordon Liu] goes to the older monks and he wants to learn kung fu. He wants to start at the highest level, so they take him to the highest level, the 35th chamber. And when he gets there, nobody's doing kung fu as it looks. Everyone's just sitting there chanting, and when they're chanting they're saying words like, "The five tones deafen every ear. The five colors blind every sight. Without wisdom there is no gain." That struck a nerve with me. It caused me to kind of start researching their history, researching their philosophy, researching what the Buddha said, what Confuscious said, the Tao Te Ching. So it opened up another kind of awareness for me. I'd always been an avid reader, but this gave me something different to look for when I went to the library or the bookstore.

You mentioned Jim Kelly. I've seen Black Belt Jones like a million times...

[laughs] That's funny! Before you say anything, yo, I want to do that over, yo. I want to be Black Belt Jones!

Oh my God. You should.

I'm working on it. I'm working on it.

Is there any kung fu movie that you consider your favorite or the best? Can you pick just one, or is that even possible?

It's a hard one, but I'll give you one that you gotta see. By watching this one you not only see good martial arts, you also see good moviemaking. The Eight Diagram Pole Fighter. That one right there, that was one of the pillars of martial arts films that helped Wu-Tang Clan become Wu-Tang Clan. Because it was a brotherhood and a sacrifice in that film that really resonated... we used to cut school and come to my house and watch that all the time.
    140-year-old tai chi practitioner? srsly?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

first forum review

I've had the Combo Pack for some time, an extra screener the promoter gave me for our sweepstakes mentioned above. Been meaning to watch it, but it just came live on Netflix so I watched it there.

I've been chatting about this with a few comic-book fans who have commented how they liked original as it was a good comic book movie. The martial arts people hate it. The comic book people are okay with it.

The sequel, well, if I was RZA, I would be living my lifelong dream and making Kung Fu flicks. I get what he's doing with this now. RZA wants to make a Chang Cheh film. Those were great, very comic book, classic Shaw fodder, sanguineous, lots of wacky weapons, weird almost unfollowable plots, and great entertainment. But the key element, the Kung Fu, was awesome. That's where MwtIF consistently drops the ball. The fights are still the biggest weakness in MwtIF2 as well. They are a little better in this film than in the first, but they could be so much better.

The first MwtIF was really overblown with Crowe and Liu and the big theatrical release. This one has much lower expectations as it's direct to home entertainment. The sets and locations are surprisingly stunning - they shot in Thailand and selected some great locations. There's even a Bollywood-esque number, a harem dance if you will. Coupled with the music, the soundtrack is spot on in several places, there's some entertainment value there. The soundtrack is the shining part of the film and takes center-stage in several segue scenes. The finale fight music is a nod to Morricone, like the first, only this one is credited. The story arc is predictable for the most part.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips