Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connect to attack: Choose angle (When & Which Angle?)

Connect to attack: Choose angle (When & Which Angle?)

Hi bros,

Happy Lunar New Year. I'd like to upload some slow motion video. We train Choy Lee Fut. But I'd like to receive your comment. We 'll discuss attacking skill, how can connect our opponent? We often change the angle to attack but when & which angle is good for both defense & attack?

Let 's see some move.

Which angle is easy for us to attack and defense our self is good? The video clips have shown that. For example, when we have entered the side gate of our opponent, and grabbed one of his hand. This is the angle to attack the openings right away. Because they will be left opened for only a split second.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karol Ruan View Post
    Hi bros,

Happy Lunar New Year. I'd like to upload some slow motion video. We train Choy Lee Fut. But I'd like to receive your comment. We 'll discuss attacking skill, how can connect our opponent? We often change the angle to attack but when & which angle is good for both defense & attack?

Let 's see some move.

Man with arm up blocks is good. claw at stomach is good level, but reach is bad. Front man punch while arm got blocked is good, but defender could block with stomach level clw if shoulders were more even-left-right and back man moves arms together sliding and pushes. When defender attacked, the front man did move back man could have done a little earlier.

Without speed faster and opponent reaction slower there should be e no commitment to attack. One needs to attack incoming attacks and in that moment resume attacking. Pick close targets working your way to the body/head but do other than attack these from your comfy seat of defensive waiting.
    No_Know
    Last edited by No_Know; 03-02-2014 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added lastline first paragraph and added second paragraph.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

you need to worry about keeping your hands up first.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by SteveLau View Post
    Which angle is easy for us to attack and defense our self is good? The video clips have shown that. For example, when we have entered the side gate of our opponent, and grabbed one of his hand. This is the angle to attack the openings right away. Because they will be left opened for only a split second.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong
    Thank you. I'd like to here your opinion about which angle do you think is good? For example: if our opponent have orthodox stance, should we move to left(front opponent) or right (back opponent).

Quote Originally Posted by No_Know View Post
    Man with arm up blocks is good. claw at stomach is good level, but reach is bad. Front man punch while arm got blocked is good, but defender could block with stomach level clw if shoulders were more even-left-right and back man moves arms together sliding and pushes. When defender attacked, the front man did move back man could have done a little earlier.

Without speed faster and opponent reaction slower there should be e no commitment to attack. One needs to attack incoming attacks and in that moment resume attacking. Pick close targets working your way to the body/head but do other than attack these from your comfy seat of defensive waiting.
    No_Know
    Thank you very much for your nice comment. i'd think the men in black have enter the other's game plan at the time he block "Ting Juong"(Choy Lee Fut Palm).

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    you need to worry about keeping your hands up first.
    Thank you. Yeah, my boxing teacher always ask me keep my hands up. But when i change to Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut, my opinion change too. Kungfu need relax, flexible & natural.

Thank you. Yeah, my boxing teacher always ask me keep my hands up. But when i change to Hung Sing Choy Lee Fut, my opinion change too. Kungfu need relax, flexible & natural.
    i am not giving "suggestion". I am saying fact. in shaolin kung fu, the fighter who keeps his hands down is the lowest level fighter

the fact that you think choy lee fut doesn't look like boxing means there is something seriously wrong with your training.

the fact that you smiling when you video kung fu and you are not smiling when you video boxing means there is something seriously wrong with your training.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-05-2014 at 08:12 AM.

Seems ritualistic moreso than combat effective.

I mean, I know it's practice and training, but I'm not sure that putting some head gear on, a cup and a mouth piece and freestyling with what you can do and know wouldn't serve you better than this.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Seems ritualistic moreso than combat effective.

I mean, I know it's practice and training, but I'm not sure that putting some head gear on, a cup and a mouth piece and freestyling with what you can do and know wouldn't serve you better than this.
    Thank you for your comment.

Yes. My Siheng demo some technique that we can't see & understand when he spar with us. So It look like ritualistic huh?

Sparring is our daily training. We dont do form. And yes, we don't use head gear or other protection facility.

Yes. My Siheng demo some technique that we can't see & understand when he spar with us. So It look like ritualistic huh?

Sparring is our daily training. We dont do form. And yes, we don't use head gear or other protection facility.
    technique demo and sparring are two different things.
    Yes, it looks ritualistic by that measure.
    Yes you should wear gear and freestyle and try to maintain the style through your sparring in order to get you using the style in a realistic manner and understanding what is high percentage useful and what is not.

Why gear? Because people make mistakes and you want to be as injury free as possible. Gear allows you to give it a little more to get a little more out of it.
    There is not a single reputable fighter out there who trains sparring without gear. there is not a single reputable fighting club out there that promotes injury by not wearing some protection.

Dentistry costs a lot! (I have exactly 7 teeth left in my head and I know this intimately) losing sight in an eye can be a drag when all you wanted was a work out and so on.

demo technique is not sparring, drills are not sparring, low engagement is not sparring.
    It's all good when it is put into a format that allows for the flow to get natural. Protecting yourself only makes sense.

On the street it's about survival. No one is on the streets when training, so it makes sense to approach it as realistically as possible and to be safe in the doing of that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Americans can mess around but you are in Vietnam. if a muay thai guy sneezes from 500 km away you will hide under your bed.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    technique demo and sparring are two different things.
    Yes, it looks ritualistic by that measure.
    Yes you should wear gear and freestyle and try to maintain the style through your sparring in order to get you using the style in a realistic manner and understanding what is high percentage useful and what is not.

Why gear? Because people make mistakes and you want to be as injury free as possible. Gear allows you to give it a little more to get a little more out of it.
    There is not a single reputable fighter out there who trains sparring without gear. there is not a single reputable fighting club out there that promotes injury by not wearing some protection.

Dentistry costs a lot! (I have exactly 7 teeth left in my head and I know this intimately) losing sight in an eye can be a drag when all you wanted was a work out and so on.

demo technique is not sparring, drills are not sparring, low engagement is not sparring.
    It's all good when it is put into a format that allows for the flow to get natural. Protecting yourself only makes sense.

On the street it's about survival. No one is on the streets when training, so it makes sense to approach it as realistically as possible and to be safe in the doing of that.
    Thank you for your advise. However our Sifu train us by traditional method. We dont use gear. It also make us feel the opponent power, pressure. Gear reduce our feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    Americans can mess around but you are in Vietnam. if a muay thai guy sneezes from 500 km away you will hide under your bed.
    So let come to Viet Nam & sneez! You will have the answer.
    Last edited by Karol Ruan; 03-07-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Karol Ruan,

If our opponent have orthodox stance, we should move to right (back opponent). It is better to face his back handling his one side than his both sides. That is generally speaking as there are not many absolutes in fighting. When we have succeeded in moving to his back, attack him right away. Watch out for his launch of turning back fist or back kick.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

So let come to Viet Nam & sneez! You will have the answer.
    I am now in Hanoi. where are you?