Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guard your head vs. control your opponent's arms

Blog Entries

Guard your head vs. control your opponent's arms

If you

- put both arms to guard your head, your opponent will be hard to go through your guarding arms and punch to your head.
    - control your opponent's arms as shown in the following clip, since your opponent's arms are not free to attack you, you don't even need to guard your head.

It seems to me that the 2nd approach is better than the 1st approach. What's your thought?

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

My Thought

I think it is better to guard your head than have both arms on enemy unless you are going for a quick throw or push to create distance. The reason and a example In that clip you are still prone for head butts, shoulder bumps to just name a couple of attacks that you leave your self open for.

My Goal In Life Is To Be A Better Person Today Than I Was Yesterday. Martial Art Is One Of The Tools I Use To Achieve This.

The Equation For Good Kung Fu Is Based On Four Simple Principles Breathing, Relaxation, Continues Movement, Structure. Working Them Under Pressure Is What Good Kung Fu Training Is About.

You Have To Breath To Relax, You Have To Relax To Move, You Have To Move To Keep Structure

My Video Page
    http://www.youtube.com/user/dcrjradmonish

I like to control the opponents arms by intercepting and bridging. Turtling up in a boxers guard has it's place, and I will definitely go there, but if you can control the arms before they reach your head then you have so many more follow ups to choose from. Learning how to intercept and work off the bridge was one of those epiphany moments that took my fighting to another level.

Opening and closing the guard (both hands and feet) for safe entry is a very important skill, so definitely controlling vs guarding, controlling is of a higher level.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I like controlling the arms but using a guard is sometimes essential.

Situation, situation, situation....always
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I can't count how many times I have seen people get drilled when engaging the clinch w/o protecting their head. In that clip YKW posted the guy isn't trying to punch him in the face. Closing the gap in an match where striking is allowed is an art in itself.
    Last edited by Syn7; 02-15-2014 at 08:39 AM.

The move is called tied up with a godly rope kun sheng shen

Since you use both hands to control his both arms,

he can knee strike you.

depending on facing of course

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    I can't count how many times I have seen people get drilled when engaging the clinch w/o protecting their head. In that clip YKW posted the guy isn't trying to punch him in the face. Closing the gap in an match where striking is allowed is an art in itself.
    Not saying it's easy to do. It requires some serious training. But the reward will be worthy. You may have to approach to your opponent in a different way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    The move is called tied up with a godly rope kun sheng shen

Since you use both hands to control his both arms,

he can knee strike you.

depending on facing of course
    He can. When he raises one of his legs to do that, that's the best time to take him down. Also since you have controlled both of his arms, his knee strike intention can be sensed by your contact. A little "shaking" can stop his knee striking in the early stage.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Not saying it's easy to do. It requires some serious training. But the reward will be worthy. You may have to approach to your opponent in a different way.
    I hear ya. And when I said closing the gap with striking is an art in itself, I am also implying that closing the gap w/o striking is an art as well. My point is that you should be aware of the variables at all levels. For drilling, it may be useful to break these things up, but in application they must all be considered. In a real fight you need to protect your head and body when you close in and yes, when clinching, controlling the arms is important, but you still need to protect yourself in case they get a hand free. How many times have we seen guys get dropped when they focus too much on a takedown(or preventing one) and forget to guard the head. And how many times have we seen somebody get taken down because they were too focused on striking in the clinch. True martial intelligence is knowing when you can get away with sacrificing one for the other in order to gain an advantage. It most definitely goes both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I like to control the opponents arms by intercepting and bridging. Turtling up in a boxers guard has it's place, and I will definitely go there, but if you can control the arms before they reach your head then you have so many more follow ups to choose from. Learning how to intercept and work off the bridge was one of those epiphany moments that took my fighting to another level.
    Well said brother.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBrain View Post
    I like to control the opponents arms by intercepting and bridging.
    In Chinese wrestling, the "double inward circles" with straight arms is used to achieve that goal. When you do that, you have given away your punching ability. But you have gained the ability to be able to interrupt your opponent's punching in the early stage. This is called to fight in your opponent's territory instead of to fight in your own territory.

I think there's been a formula established which is, if your opponent's arms are free - guard your head to close, then clinch and/or tie their arms up to set up a takedown. After which you sit on their chest and beat the living h3ll out of 'em.

It's probably unwise not to cover your head in striking range.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    It's probably unwise not to cover your head in striking range.
    You can guard your head with your arms. You can also send your arms out to interrupt your opponent's punches in the early stage.

In battle, you will have 2 options.

- Close your castle gate and guard your castle and wait for your enemy to arrive.
    - Send your troops out to surround your enemy castle. When their soldiers tries to leave their castle, you attack their soldiers right there.

To fight in your own territory or to fight in your opponent's territory, which approach is better? I prefer to use my hands to interrupt my opponent's punch when he just starts to generate speed and power. I don't like for wait for my opponent's punch to have generated speed and power and then deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    You can guard your head with your arms. You can also send your arms out to interrupt your opponent's punches in the early stage.

In battle, you will have 2 options.

- Close your castle gate and guard your castle and wait for your enemy to arrive.
    - Send your troops out to surround your enemy castle. When their soldiers tries to leave their castle, you attack their soldiers right there.

To fight in your own territory or to fight in your opponent's territory, which approach is better? I prefer to use my hands to interrupt my opponent's punch when he just starts to generate speed and power. I don't like for wait for my opponent's punch to have generated speed and power and then deal with it.
    One lucky punch is all it takes to say goodnight, and an extended arm is easy to avoid, bridge, or trap.