Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train as you fight

Blog Entries

Train as you fight

If we look at the following 2 clips, it's easy to see that "In TCMA, you train exactly the same way as you will fight". Your thought?

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    and this:

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

This looks like good fight training. What do you guys think?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fi6mtywX7MY

Indeed! From The Book Of Five Rings… "You can only fight the way you practice." ~ Miyamoto Musashi

It's also in my signature. I added it a few weeks or couple of months or something like that ago. Great book!

I guess I agree with you YKW, the drills and exercises done in tcma seem to be more practical there are some exceptions though but it seems more so that way than western boxing conditioning exercises with the exception of punching drills and the like, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I guess I agree with you YKW, the drills and exercises done in tcma seem to be more practical there are some exceptions though but it seems more so that way than western boxing conditioning exercises with the exception of punching drills and the like, obviously.
    With respect the videos posted by ykw are technique practice. Wrestlers do tons of conditioning exercises that have nothing to do with fighting like push ups, sit ups, weight lifting. Boxers do the same. It's applicable to being durable while sparring either in wrestling or boxing. Much of the conditioning wrestlers and boxers do is done within their sport. The extra stuff I mentioned is done on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy panda View Post
    This looks like good fight training. What do you guys think?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fi6mtywX7MY

I mean no offense, but you did ask so here goes. I think it's kind of sloppy. If this is the only way they train then it's a good example of what not to do. They are wearing boxing gloves and trying to perform deflections that are difficult at best with boxing gloves. Some of the deflections the defender was working on are much more effective if there is a grab, hook, or a claw at the end of the movement. This sets up a bridge and strike combo, but with boxing gloves it's just not going to happen. If they are going to work with big fluffy boxing gloves then they need to train like a boxer. If they want to work on kung-fu then they should use gloves suited to that style of fighting which would allow them to have much more control.

Also, there were no head strikes or kicks. If a person trains that way and they encounter head strikes and kicks then they will be unprepared and get KO'd the eff out. The theme of this thread is train how you want to fight, so if a person wants to fight with pitter patter strikes only to the mid section then their training will serve them well.

Edit: I watched the video again and there were a few head strikes, so in one sense I was wrong to say there were no head strikes. However, in another sense I was right since the punches that were thrown to the head landed.
    Last edited by GoldenBrain; 02-18-2014 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raipizo View Post
    I'm either misreading this or I completely and totally disagree with you. I find that most TCMA with the exception of Xanda (San Da) and Shuai Jiao include very little Fight Training in their systems, whereas systems like boxing, wrestling, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and Thai boxing are all about fight training (within their rule systems of course). It can be easily remedied by shifting a mindset, and it happens in individual schools, but as a whole - IMO traditional martial arts don't do enough fight training.

This is Boxing - compare it to how time is spent in a Kwoon.

The first two clips that YKW put up are Fight Training.

Happy Panda's clip shows what happens when TCMAist start the path towards fight training. They are still trying to fight within the confines of their system and training. But it doesn't look good yet, and as Golden points out, they should adapt (and you can see they're starting to come to that conclusion). And so for them it begins. If they continue, they'll get better - but I bet their attitudes toward training, technique preference, etc is completely different than someone who comes from a school within that system and has no fight training.

Big turn offs for me in traditional martial arts are when I look at the photos and see a disproportionate number of young children (to me it's then kung fu day care), or the class photo looks like it could be the microsoft employee reunion pic.

Name:  microsoft-reunion.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  86.3 KB

I'd say this little dude is doing realistic fight training. I may have to take back what I said about kung fu day care if I found a place full kids like this.

Click Here for Facebook Vid

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we look at the following 2 clips, it's easy to see that "In TCMA, you train exactly the same way as you will fight". Your thought?

In Ba Ji, this move is grouped in knee methods or xi fa.

It is used as an example of eating the opponent's root and uprooting him,

chi gen ba gen 吃根拔根

Position or stepping in is the reason you are at advantage.

The practice is actually that two students trying to step in and out the positions to do the move.

The rope is a good way to practice too.

We may also use a staff.

In ba ji small frame routine/form

it is called kneeling or gui xi 跪膝

at 1.08

Last edited by SPJ; 02-19-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    In ba ji small frame routine/form

it is called kneeling or gui xi 跪膝

at 1.08

There is no way that pajama wearing xing yi/shaolin form rio off can wrestle. Do not believe it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'm either misreading this or I completely and totally disagree with you. I find that most TCMA with the exception of Xanda (San Da) and Shuai Jiao include very little Fight Training in their systems, whereas systems like boxing, wrestling, Judo, Jiu Jitsu, and Thai boxing are all about fight training (within their rule systems of course). It can be easily remedied by shifting a mindset, and it happens in individual schools, but as a whole - IMO traditional martial arts don't do enough fight training.

This is Boxing - compare it to how time is spent in a Kwoon.
    I agree, mightyb.

Tcma has little fivht training. Shuai jiao is not typical "traditional" martial arts training. SJ training is typical only if you did sj. Many people today look at sh and san da and try to say it came from their system of that they do it but that is not the case.