Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Train as you fight

the vanguard style at the moment is bai ji. You have probably seen the video on you tube with the topless guy with the fast explosive punches, which in some ways resembles boxing. Yet most people continue to burry their heads in the sand, with their shaolin fantasies

Bai ji is a practical style, and is probably the best internal style to learn. It even has straight to the point greco roman wrestling throws!

you have got to watch it with these sons of *****es... that tong bei fist form is all some people receive with a few added straight punches and stamps, after many years of training.

John - just curious...do you do any form training at all? For yourself? With your students? (not line drills, forms like you learnt when you were younger). If so, what benefit do you find from practising them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
    John - just curious...do you do any form training at all? For yourself? With your students? (not line drills, forms like you learnt when you were younger). If so, what benefit do you find from practising them?
    What I want to train does not exist in forms. For example, how many forms contain information as "attack after your foot sweep"? When you have swept one of your opponent's legs to be off the ground (your opponent is not down),

- Where will you drop your sweeping leg?
    - What attack will you follow with it?
    - How do you deal with your opponent's arms at that moment?

If you always use "foot sweep" as your initial attack and set up, none of your forms will be able to help you in this area.

A guy has been with me for 12 years. I have not taught him any forms yet. The integration of kick, punch, lock, throw, follow on strike has taken all my training time. I don't have any extra time for "forms".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 04-05-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument