Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
What does breaking structure really mean?

As I said, its the same thing as disrupting the opponent's balance, making them take a step to catch themselves, making them pivot or turn.

I also think this shows that the focus should be on those sorts of basic things instead of breaking structure or controling the cog or whatever which how will you do if you cannot land solid shots?

I think breaking structure would actually be easier than landing a solid shot. How many times have you seen boxers clinch and neither is able to land a solid shot but one guy shoves the other guy away to break the clinch and makes him take a step to catch his balance or bounce of off the ropes to catch his balance? How many times have you seen Thai boxers in a clinch and one guy grabs the other around the neck and slings him around the ring so that he can't get set to land a solid shot? That's breaking structure or disrupting balance and COG. How many times have you seen an MMA fighter land a good roundhouse to the leg that buckles the opponent's leg and turns him a bit and makes an opening for a hard punch? That's breaking structure. This kind of stuff happens all the time. That's why I can't see why you keep saying it doesn't or is unlikely. Look at Alan Orr doing it in a Wing Chun Chi Sao context in those videos above.
I do not want to look at things from unrealistic contexts to give me insights into what goes on in realistic contexts. I do not think it makes sense to do that. The one doesn't translate to the other.

I think what you are referring to is not disrupting balance. You can push a heavy piece of furniture around the room but you are not disrupting its balance. It is always in balance. Same as when you push someone around, they will if they are fighting you maintain their balance. Guys in the MT clinch keep their balance. You don't see them getting slung around the ring. What people fight for in a clinch is superior position so that they can hit you but the position does not allow you to hit them. It is not balance put position that gives you opportunities. If I have double bicep control I can hit you and you cannot hit me, if I have an undertook I have the opportunity to get your leg and you don't, and so forth. When you do pummeling gor example the fight is for position. Position creates opportunity.

Your example of the leg kick goes to what I am saying. In striking focus on landing solid shots. Landing them creates openings for more solid shots.

It is realistic if you are training or teaching to focus on objectives like position or landing solid shots than on fuzzy things. Those things will take you to where you want to go.