Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How effective is the striking art?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    striker can fear being entangled without practice and wrestler can fear being rocked without practice. practice both.
    This is the answer to every question that YKW posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    And when you give the other person both your arms while running in like that, they never redirect your arms and punch/kick/sweep you?
    In order to redirect your "wedge arms", your opponent's arm has to contact your arm. This will give you a chance to wrap his arms. His kick/sweep can also give you a chance to apply your "single leg". As far as I remember, if a Kung Fu tournament does not allow "head shot", the wrestler will always win the 1st place. By taking away the head shot, most of the wrestler's fear can be removed.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Blog Entries
    This is the answer to every question that YKW posts
    I used to think that a good striker and a good grappler are on 50-50 equal base. My opinion has changed lately. But I will need more testing to confirm that.

Both Rousey and McMann were more grappling oriented

We saw how that turned out.

When you're looking for what's most effective, you can't cut corners and deny what isn't quite as effective, but might still finish the fight if the time is right. Different strokes, strikes and submissions for different folks.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    In order to redirect your "wedge arms", your opponent's arm has to contact your arm. This will give you a chance to wrap his arms. His kick/sweep can also give you a chance to apply your "single leg". As far as I remember, if a Kung Fu tournament does not allow "head shot", the wrestler will always win the 1st place. By taking away the head shot, most of the wrestler's fear can be removed.
    If he stays in contact for a long time while redirecting your momentum, you can have a chance to wrap. If he just knocks your arms aside while kicking your legs, it will be more difficult. No one has tried this when you use your wedge arms?

Seems like wedge arms approach is a little defensive. You are covered up with arms extended, so the big fist is also a big telegraph, and there's not much of a strike other than from running in. The main benefit seems to be that you close in with head protection already in place. This is like you don't trust your defense skills.

Why wouldn't you use a tight 1-2 punch while running in? You get the benefit of real striking threat that uses speed and body torque. Your attack also protects your head. And it will be more difficult for the person to try to redirect you because you don't leave your arms out for him.

Blog Entries
    If he stays in contact for a long time while redirecting your momentum, you can have a chance to wrap. If he just knocks your arms aside while kicking your legs, it will be more difficult. No one has tried this when you use your wedge arms?

Seems like wedge arms approach is a little defensive. You are covered up with arms extended, so the big fist is also a big telegraph, and there's not much of a strike other than from running in. The main benefit seems to be that you close in with head protection already in place. This is like you don't trust your defense skills.

Why wouldn't you use a tight 1-2 punch while running in? You get the benefit of real striking threat that uses speed and body torque. Your attack also protects your head. And it will be more difficult for the person to try to redirect you because you don't leave your arms out for him.
    My guys arm wrapping don't depend on "contact" any more but use "intention" instead. We have passed beyond the "bridge" concept. For example, When you and I both have right leg forward. I use my left hand to downward parry your leading right arm, I will predict your right arm moving "track" and waiting to wrap your arm before your right arm even finish your move. I also will not use my arm to wrap your arm but to move my body forward and allow your arm to fall into my trap (I'll try to make another clip in my next class).

When I put my "wrestler" hat on, forget about kicking and punching but only concentrate on arm wrapping and leg catching, I would love to see a leg or an arm that coming toward me. This way i don't have to move toward that arm or leg.

The "big fist" training is the beginner level training. In the intermediate level training stage, your both arms will become "2 spears" that can use clockwise circle and counter clockwise circle to seal off any incoming "straight line attack". That's to guard your center from outside in.

My biggest problem is not when my opponent who wants to move in toward me but when he wants to move away from me. The close distance is my advantage. The far distance is not. I don't want to use my punches to scare my opponent away. I do encourage my opponent to redirect my arms and move toward me.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-25-2014 at 11:17 PM.

My guys arm wrapping don't depend on "contact" any more but use "intention" instead. We have passed beyond the "bridge" concept. For example, When you and I both have right leg forward. I use my left hand to downward parry your leading right arm, I will predict your right arm moving "track" and waiting to wrap your arm before your right arm even finish your move. I also will not use my arm to wrap your arm but to move my body forward and allow your arm to fall into my trap (I'll try to make another clip in my next class).
    In this example, you go from parry to wrap. In the wedge arm example, I am wondering what if the other guy parries or redirects the wedge arms. Is it the same scenario for your transition to wrap? Video will be useful. Thanks.

When I put my "wrestler" hat on, forget about kicking and punching but only concentrate on arm wrapping and leg catching, I would love to see a leg or an arm that coming toward me. This way i don't have to move toward that arm or leg.
    Same for "striker".

The "big fist" training is the beginner level training. In the intermediate level training stage, your both arms will become "2 spears" that can use clockwise circle and counter clockwise circle to seal off any incoming "straight line attack". That's to guard your center from outside in.

My biggest problem is not when my opponent who wants to move in toward me but when he wants to move away from me. The close distance is my advantage. The far distance is not. I don't want to use my punches to scare my opponent away. I do encourage my opponent to redirect my arms and move toward me.
    Ok, got it.

Then how about just closing in with a good guard and not extending the "big fist".

Or is the big fist wedge arm just a trap to make the other person give you his arm? This would be like when Praying Mantis makes a slow opening attack on purpose.

Blog Entries
    Or is the big fist wedge arm just a trap to make the other person give you his arm?
    It's like, "This is my arms. Where is yours?" To "slide" my arm along with my opponent's arm when my body is advancing is the key method.

C'mon guys, this is silly. It's not like John is suggesting this is the best way to enter...it's just an easy to apply drill designed to demonstrate a point. seems to me like it would be a great eye opener intro for pure grapplers or strikers looking to integrate the two skills.

Blog Entries
    I'm still testing this "anti_striking" strategy. My guys had tried this strategy for 3 rounds yesterday in the class. The score was:

- 3 clinches to 0 head shot, and
    - 2 clinches to 1 head shot.

The only round that the head shot was scored was because one guy used the body shot to set up a head shot. If his opponent just took that body shot and traded with clinch, that round won't even be scored. My guys will test this strategy in local MMA gym and accumulate the testing result until I have enough data to have more faith in this approach.

Blog Entries
    More testing had been done on this method yesterday. 6 rounds was tested with 20 head shots each round. In all 6 rounds (120 head shots), 0 head shot was landed. Also most of the arm wrapping could be done on the 2nd punches.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    honestly I don't think the striking game is won "outside". I think it's won in the clinch. Knocking someone out entering is a possibility but honestly John I agree that percentage wise it favors the grappler. Striking in the clinch is the winning formula IMO.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.