Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How effective is the striking art?

Blog Entries

Does anti-striking exist?

How effective is the striking art? Here is a simple test.

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist.
    - Hide your head behind it.
    - Extend your arms toward at your opponent's face.
    - Run toward your opponent like a mad man and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
    - Let your opponent to try to hit your head.
    - You use your big fist along with both of your arms to deflect your opponent's head shots.
    - When your hands are close to your opponent's elbow, shoulder, neck, use arm wrap, over hook, under hook, head lock, ... and prevent your opponent from punching you again.

If

- your opponent's punch can hit your head, he wins that round.
    - you can use your big fist to hit on your opponent's face, or get him into an arm wrap, under hook, over hook, head lock, ... before he can hit you, you win that round.

Do you mind to try this with your opponent for 20 rounds and see what kind record that you and your opponent can come up with?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-01-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Hide your head behind it.
    - Run toward your opponent like a mad man and try to use your big fist to hit on his face.
    kinda unrealistic don't you think.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    kinda unrealistic don't you think.
    The main purpose of this test is to see "how soon can you turn a striking game into a grappling game?" I had tested this with my guys yesterday on both giving side and receiving side. The result was exactly what I would expected.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-24-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Why not just spar with one person using grappling only and the other using striking only?

I think I may be missing the point of your exercise. Help me understand why you would do this? What do you gain from this that can't be gained with a more comprehensive manner of sparring or drilling?

Seems like after the first couple times your opponent would jam your legs with low kicks or just side step and counter from angles.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Why not just spar with one person using grappling only and the other using striking only?

I think I may be missing the point of your exercise. Help me understand why you would do this? What do you gain from this that can't be gained with a more comprehensive manner of sparring or drilling?
    That's exactly the purpose of this drill. Is it possible for a wrestler to completely skip the "striking art" training?

In order to apply arm wrap, under hook, over hook, head lock, you will need to use "separate hands" to use both of your arms to separate your opponent's arms from inside. You can start this from the boxing guard, but since your arms are too far away from your opponent's elbow, shoulder, and neck. If you extend your arms, the distance will be closer. The beginner students may have too much concern about their opponent's head shot and afraid to close the distance. This "big fist" training will remove their fear from their opponent's "head shot". If you don't have fear for your opponent's head shot (I'm not too concern about body shot here), it will be a grappler's paradise.

The main purpose is to train "separate hands". The "big fist" drill can help you to reach to that goal. Instead of waiting for your opponent to punch you, you use your big fist to attack your opponent's face and put him in defense mode.

Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-24-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Why can't you just do that with any number of conventional guards? I engage in clinch all the time from all sorts of different guards. You see it in pretty much every striking art that isn't just point sparring. Boxing, Muay Thai, whatever.

I still don't see the benefit of the big fist. That's just asking to get knocked out. If I can strike and you clamp your hands and come at me, I'm gonna circle out and knock you on your ass. I'm really trying to understand what you'e getting at here, cause I'm just not seeing it.

Blog Entries
    Why can't you just do that with any number of conventional guards? I engage in clinch all the time from all sorts of different guards. You see it in pretty much every striking art that isn't just point sparring. Boxing, Muay Thai, whatever.

I still don't see the benefit of the big fist. That's just asking to get knocked out. If I can strike and you clamp your hands and come at me, I'm gonna circle out and knock you on your ass. I'm really trying to understand what you'e getting at here, cause I'm just not seeing it.
    If you use your arms to guard your head, you will give your opponent all the space and distance that he needs. If you move your hands closer to your opponent's hands, you can interrupt his punch "in the early stage" before his punch can generate speed and power.

It's similar to the SC guard. But the "big fist" can give you the minimum striking ability (instead of 0 striking ability as shown in the following picture).

http://imageshack.com/a/img404/8081/...ingposture.jpg

You should find a Thai boxer who has the same amount of experience in their art as you have in SC and see what happens when you come at him like that. Film it. I'm curious.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you ever heard the saying, "A strikers chance"? There is no way you can totally eliminate it. It will always be there. I love grappling as much as anyone but I respect the striking game for the devastating effects it can have in a very, very short time frame.

My point is yes grappling does negate the striking game to a minimal, but there is always going to be a chance you get your a$$ knocked out coming in.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

striker can fear being entangled without practice and wrestler can fear being rocked without practice. practice both.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

In my point of view, you should know striking, throwing and grappling and be familiar with each.
    If you only fight within a sport rule set, then that's where you are and you have to stay in the rules of what is allowed.
    If you are a kung fu practitioner, you should be familiar with all frames of attack and defense to some level. What you pick as your strongest tactic will be your kung fu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    You should find a Thai boxer who has the same amount of experience in their art as you have in SC and see what happens when you come at him like that. Film it. I'm curious.
    The MT guy that I used to train with is too old to spar. One of my students is a boxer. I have tested this on him before. The outcome is not surprised. The key point is when my boxer opponent punches me, I have to move in toward him (instead of moving back). I'll also send 2 of my guys to the local MMA gyms and test this method. May be come up with some video clips on this later on.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 02-25-2014 at 02:47 PM.

- Hold both of your hands into a big fist.
    - Hide your head behind it.
    And when you give the other person both your arms while running in like that, they never redirect your arms and punch/kick/sweep you?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    striker can fear being entangled without practice and wrestler can fear being rocked without practice. practice both.
    If you spar with your partner for 10 rounds, how many rounds can your opponent knock you down vs. you can take him down? Will you say 5-5? I think the chance that you can take your opponent down is much higher than your opponent can knock you down.