Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unified Weapons Master Armor

I'm sure they won't go over 15,000 apiece....
    "The perfect way to do, is to be" ~ Lao Tzu

Slightly OT

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post

I think I could probably punch that kid through a wall.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The problem with protective gear like this is that it gives not only a false sense of security but creates a false sense of reality.
    You can NOT take multiple shots to the head with a stick and be ok ( as was stated a couple of posts back).
    Taking a cut to the chest causes far more damage then the impact aspect of it.
    Taking a blow to the wrist or forearm with a hard stick can fracture it and the person can NOT use that arm.
    Taking a cut to the arm will sever the arm.
    ETC, etc.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I have a two word response to this....

stormtrooper armor

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

update

Coming soon: Martial artists competing at full force in high-tech armor
    By Devin Kate Pope on September 3, 2015, 4:30 PM

If you’ve ever wondered where to get body armor for full contact martial arts combat, wonder no more.

An Australian company is on a mission to create a new combat sport pairing masters from different disciplines against each other, and they’ve built high tech armor for the occasion.

The armor from Unified Weapon Master (UWM) has layers of shock-absorbing materials, biometric sensors, a cooling system, and a helmet camera. That last feature is less about safety, and more about giving the audience a breathtaking view of the fight. Justin Forsell, one of the founders, says their vision is to facilitate “real fighting, real weapons, full force, very few rules, high levels of safety and with science judging the outcome.”

Forsell, along with fellow founders David Pysden and Samantha English, came up with the Lorica armor as their solution. And since they all have backgrounds in martial arts, they are highly motivated by the fighter’s safety.

How can a person be kept safe while fighting at full force? The armor provides real-time analytics during the fight about what type and level of damage the fighters are experiencing. The analytics are designed to show the stats as if it’s a HUD in a video game with a health bar that shows the force of each blow and how many lives the fighters has left.

All of this information will be streamed to the audience watching the fights online, alongside the live stream from the camera on the fighter’s helmet. To get any closer, audience members would have to actually suit up.

The Lorica project is on Indiegogo with the goal of raising $100,000 AUD (around $72,000 USD) and as the crowdfunding gig goes, they’re offering a ton of perks. Some of the benefits include Google Hangouts, tickets, weapons the supporter could use in the UWM arena, and at the high end of the offers, a custom suit of Lorica armor for a pledge of $1,000,000 AUD. They’ve reached 42% -- that’s almost $30,000 USD -- funded with 31 days left.

The next question is, how does a TechSpot writer get her hands on this armor for a review?
    We actually have a policy here about not supporting crowdfunding projects (there are so many in the martial arts that it would be inundating if we did). However, I'm hoping this is an investment in the armor sample they will send to me. I haven't donned armor in over a decade. In fact, just last night I came across my bogu in storage and thought about passing that on.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Applause to the invention.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Competing in this would be a dream come true.

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    - Sun Tzu

ttt 4 2016!

There's a vid if you follow the link.

Weaponised martial arts bouts pave way for new spectator sport
    TOM PULLAR-STRECKER
    Last updated 15:51, April 1 2016

A new high-tech combat sport was born in Wellington this week as six martials arts experts fought each other with blunted weapons.

There was plenty of sweat but no blood spilled.

That was thanks to the fact the fighters from Australia, Turkey and China were wearing "intelligent" carbon-fibre body armour equipped with an array of sensors to detect the location and power of hits.

Unified Weapons Master martial artist Jim Campbell, aka "Fierce", rests between battles in Wellington.
    KEVIN STENT/FAIRFAX NZ

The Unified Weapons Master (UWM) sport is the brainchild of Porirua-born martial arts enthusiast Justin Forsell who hopes it will become a major spectator sport.

Forsell came up with the idea while training at the Buddhi Swan sword-fencing institute in Bangkok in 1998, after pondering how to preserve the ancient skills he saw there.

The first "underground" UWM tournament was filmed at the Avalon studios in Lower Hutt in front of a small audience and will be edited before the footage is released online to fans over the coming weeks.

Kung Fu fighter Martin Soderstrom, aka "the Wolf", said he and his fellow fighters had developed an amazing camaraderie on location in New Zealand.

"We all love the concept.

"The armour is only going to get better, the weapons more true to life, and the format more exciting to watch."

The armour fully protected the fighters "vital areas" but that did not mean no pain, Soderstrom said.

"You will feel a strong hits on the legs and arms much more."

Fellow fighter Jim Campbell, aka "Fierce", said the sensors which link to a medical database and are used to detect hits and "kills" seemed fair.

"Sometimes you put a hit in that you think should have been a scoring hit but it is hard to argue with science."

UWM investor and managing director Rick Walker said the main purpose of the Wellington bouts was to test its second-generation armour ahead of further fine-tuning that could allow live events in front of a large global audience.

"No-one has ever put two weapons martial arts fighters in a suit before and let them go at each other full tilt. What is happening in our test event is the first time that has happened anywhere.

"This is not 'UWM announcing itself to the world'", he said.

"What we want is for this to be a live event where people can come along and support their favourite fighters in the flesh. That's the goal."

The Sydney-based venture was also looking at additional opportunities for the technologies it had developed, which could also be used to train police officers and soldiers, Walker said.

"We have people around the world approach us about adapting our suits for a range of applications.

"Nobody has ever put sensor-force technology in a suit of armour before. There are a myriad of people trying to do that, including a range of militaries, but no-one [else] has been able to make it work."

- Stuff
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I want in that seems like a lot of fun
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

This made POP SCI

I forgot that we can't do cross-out text here. "IRON MAN" in the subtitle should be crossed out.

And the vid is embedded but it's like the one above.

NEW FULL-CONTACT SPORT WRAPS MARTIAL ARTS IN ELECTRONIC ARMOR
    IRON MAN CARBON FIBER MAN
    By Sarah Fecht Posted Yesterday at 2:12pm

Chiron Global
    An underground test fight with high-tech armor

Watch out, UFC--a new kind of full-contact combat may be coming to television. The Australian company Chiron Global is developing a high-tech suit of armor that they think could revive interest in weapons-based martial arts.
    Made of Kevlar and carbon fiber, among other things, Lorica armor is light enough to let athletes to move around, but strong enough to protect them from severe blows. Plus, it has 52 sensors embedded to measure the impact of each hit. The Economist suggests Lorica could portend a new kind of televised sport--a modernized, data-laden version of jousting, or an Iron Man-ified MMA.

You can watch some test fights in the video below. The sensors enable a Mortal Kombat-style health bar that adjusts based on where and how hard the player gets hit.

The sport, which the company is calling Unified Weapons Master (UWM), could come to America soon, writes the Economist:
    A series of test fights using the system was staged in Wellington, New Zealand, in March. The first official fights, which are being branded as the Unified Weapons Master, will begin later this year in Australia, with competitions expanding to America in 2017.
    And apparently several militaries are even interested in getting some of these suits for training purposes.
    Lorica seems like it could be a useful training tool, though it has its limitations. Hand-to-hand fighting styles often target the joints, and this suit of armor, like others, is soft around the joints to allow for mobility. That rules those body parts out as targets. That's probably one reason why Chiron is focusing on stick and sword arts, which are more likely to go for the fleshy parts of the body.
    Although the company is touting UWM as the most realistic way to practice your weapons skills, some sword schools frown upon the use of armor in practice. If you know that your opponents cannot hurt you, you're more likely to make reckless attacks that in reality would get you killed.
    On the other hand, this could be a great way to put that old show Deadliest Warrior to the test and settle some age-old disputes.
    Is it totally realistic? No. But would we watch it anyway? Heck yes.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I want to know what it takes to actually get into competition in this.

Would love to play with a trifa/tonfa or sai in this venue.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.