Thread: The Shaolin Backflip

The Shaolin Backflip

Sort of random - came up on this morning's newsfeed...
    November 7, 2011, 6:28 PM ET
    Bodin wins Fuel + Fury
    Daniel Bodin wins Red Bull snowmobile event in Chicago with a new trick

Christian Pondella/Red Bull Content Pool Daniel Bodin en route to a win with the Chicago skyline in the background.

Seven top snowmobilers competed outside of Chicago's Wrigley Field for the Red Bull Fuel + Fury freestyle contest on Saturday night. Two-time Winter X 2011 gold medalist Daniel Bodin won the contest with a new trick called the Shaolin Backflip, marking the first time the trick had been done in competition. Heath Frisby took second place and Jimmy Fejes came in third.

Baseball player Ernie Banks handed Bodin his trophy.

"There's a lot of history here," Bodin said. "It's only the fifth of November so we didn't have snow, but the crowd was screaming and to get a first place win, I mean, it's the best start to the season. Now I want to go more, harder, stronger and kill it this year."

Lacking real snow, the jumps were built with woodchips, dirt and turf as the landing beneath three steel ramps. Founded in 2003, this was the first time Red Bull Fuel + Fury was held in a major city. Previously, the contest took place in Jackson, Wyo., Milwaukee,Wisc., and Alaska.

Seven-time Winter X Games medalist Levi LaVallee hosted the contest, while Drake McElroy, Dylan Harju, Paul Thacker, Jack Rowe and Greg Hartman served as judges. Other competitors included Cory Davis, Fred Rasmussen, Ted Culbertson, and Jeff Mullin.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

The bike version

As the title implies, there's vid if you follow the link. It's a pretty badass move, worthy of the Shaolin brand.
    VIDEO: Kiwi Levi Sherwood wins in Switzerland with Shaolin Backflip
    Mon, 09 Jul 2012 8:06a.m.

Kiwi Levi Sherwood's Shaolin Backflip (file pic)

Levi Sherwood of New Zealand finished top of the podium at the Swatch Free4Style event in Estavayer-le-Lac in Switzerland.

Each of the eight competitors had 90 seconds to present theirs tricks and figures in a bid to impress the judges.

Petr Pilat from Czech Republic - one of the favourites - performed an accomplished combination consisting of Backflip acrobatic jumps which required extreme precision.

The jump was executed impressively and handed him third place.
    Click here to find out more!

Mat Rebeaud astonished the crowd of more than 4000 with his soaring ride.

He grabbed second place with a high degree of difficulty and a perfectly landed jump.

But the winner was Sherwood.

The 21-year-old rider showed that it was worthwhile taking risks with his superb Shaolin Backflip jump securing the title.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Nuclear Cowboyz

This thread has been two news items more fruitful than I had anticipated.
    Nuclear Cowboyz To 'Supercharge' The XL Center

Nuclear Cowboyz (Nuclear Cowboyz / February 16, 2013)

Center Street, Hartford, CT 06120, USA
    BY SARA GRANT, sagrant@ctnow.com
    CTNow.com
    8:33 a.m. EST, January 14, 2014

For anyone looking to be energized during these dull, chilly weekends, the Nuclear Cowboyz ride to the rescue with their combination of martial arts and freestyle motocross at the XL Center Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 18 and 19.

The Nuclear Cowboyz show tells a story with more than 1,000 gravity-defying stunts performed by the world's best freestyle athletes, says show director Jayme Dalsing. The action-packed performance is complete with lasers and such circus performers as stilt walkers and fire breathers — all set to a soundtrack of heavy metal, electronic dubstep and alternative hip hop.

The show has been "supercharged" for its fifth touring anniversary, says Dalsing.

"This year we have an all new storyline that really showcases the nature of the riders and the supporting cast's true talent. We've also added some crazy effects to an already incredible pyro and laser presentation throughout the show."

The cast features the biggest names in motocross and Shaolin Kung Fu masters from China, including X Games medalists Jeremy "Twitch" Stenberg, Taka Higashino and Mike Mason, as well as world-class freestylers such as Derek Garland, Jimmy Fitzpatrick and Nick Dunne.

Dalsing says moto enthusiasts and newbies alike will find something to enjoy.

"Feld Entertainment, producer of Nuclear Cowboyz, is a family-owned company, so we like to stick to our core and create a show that's appropriate for everyone. Young or old, audiences will get to witness things not often seen."

Nuclear Cowboyz come to Hartford's XL Center, 1 Civic Center Plaza, Saturday, Jan. 18, at 7:30 p.m.; and Sunday, Jan. 19, at 2 p.m. Tickets start at $39 Information: 860-249-6333 and xlcenter.com.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Dang! Beat me to it!

They are coming to Grand Rapids the end of January.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

You going TaichiMantis?

If so, you must report it here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Nuclear Cowboyz

Motocross madness of Nuclear Cowboyz adds Eastern twist (w/video)
    Robbyn Mitchell, Times Staff Writer
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:09pm

It wasn't Heng's original goal after years of study to master the kung fu style. Still, the travel suits him and he enjoys showing his skills to others.

"We all studied at the Shaolin Temple," Heng said through an interpreter, when the circus producers came and recruited them from China. "I like Florida," he said. "But my favorite American city is Washington, D.C. It's beautiful."

Heng and crew perform sword stunts, an amazing metal break with bare hands and fantastic fight sequences to fill the spaces between motorcyclists jumping a ramp and doing seat grabs usually reserved for the X Games.

Jeremy "Twitch" Stenberg, a 16-time X Games medalist, returns to the Nuclear Cowboyz show as leader of the good guys after leaving for a time to be with family.

"I wanted to be home with my kids," he said. "They let you travel home in between tour dates, but I wanted to take a break for them."

Back in business, his motorcycle has been given a golden paint job, a designation that allows viewers to follow the show and identify the leaders even when they have their helmets on.

"It's so comfortable because I'm out here riding with guys that I've known for years," Stenberg said. "There's a level of trust that goes into it."

The trust is never so apparent as when the Cowboyz perform quad jumps — jumps where four riders power up the ramp at the same time and then attempt seat grabs while hurtling through the air next to each other.

One foot of imprecision could cause a deadly wreck.

During the 12 days of initial practice and staging in December, stunt choreographer Micky Dymond said the riders' focus helped the rehearsals progress without a single accident.

"The biggest thing is remembering the next trick," he said. "So I created cue cards for them to glance at when they come back into the tunnel."

Adding to that chaos, the Shaolin warriors had a language barrier that made it difficult for the director to change blocking quickly.

"They were very patient," Heng said. "It's interesting to see what they do."

The interest goes both ways.

"The warriors fit well into the show, I think," Stenberg said. "They help tell the story in a different way this year."

Tampa is the eighth stop in the 15-city tour that was mounted at Palmetto's new Feld Entertainment Studios, which houses Ringling Bros. and several other live touring shows. Expect fireworks, flaming motorcyclists, tricks you shouldn't try at home and a loud pulsating trap/dubstep/metal soundtrack.

The choreographed nature makes the show extremely kid-friendly, but the tricks can stun adults as well. Riders won't be the only ones grabbing their seats.

If you go

Nuclear Cowboyz

The freestyle motocross show is at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, 401 Channelside Drive, Tampa, at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday. Tickets cost $20-$100. Call (813) 301-2500 or go to tampabaytimesforum.com.
    Hmm, they are coming to my area...
    Nuclear Cowboyz in San Jose, CA

NUCLEAR COWBOYZ

SAP Center
    San Jose, CA

Saturday & Sunday
    March 29-30, 2014

Main Event
    Saturday 7:30PM
    Sunday 2:00PM

Doors Open
    Saturday 6:30PM
    Sunday 1:00PM

Ticket Prices
    Tickets available as low as $25 Adults / $15 Kids (ages 2 - 15)!

Market pricing applies to all tickets. Rates can fluctuate based on factors that affect supply and demand.
    Lock in your price and location today!

Kids tickets $5 more day of show. A Facility Fee of $1 will be applied to the price of tickets under $40 and a $2 Facility Fee will be applied to the price of tickets above $40. Additional Service and Handling Fees may apply.

Tickets are available at the SAP Center Box Office, all Ticketmaster Outlets, online at www.ticketmaster.com, or charge by phone at (800) 745-3000.
    *Fallout Zone Tickets are only available for the Saturday, March 29th event.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips