Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shaolin Bei Yuan

Here are the names of the five monks who created the style, 周福、普红、普俊、普毅、广德. They are described as five monks from the Shaolin Si Bei Yuan (少林寺北院有五僧) during the Ming dynasty.
    There was a fighter in who used the style in the mid Qing dynasty who became legendary for fighting defeating almost 100 people in Cangzhou consecutively in an open challenge.

Here's a link to a page with a little info.
    http://www.shaolinsixuexiao.com/Aboutus/101.html

Another question while I have you guys

Anyone have any back ground on these sets?

I've only been able to trace them back about 100 years.
    If you guys know anything about the origins of these sets, their early history, or how they fit in with the other forms practiced at Shaolin, I would appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by Tea Serpent View Post
    If you guys know anything about the origins of these sets, their early history, or how they fit in with the other forms practiced at Shaolin, I would appreciate it
    Apparently there is a traditional Shaolin martial art being practiced at the Northern Shaolin Monastery near Pan Shan 盤山. I have not seen any videos of their sets, but they use a crossed yin 印 seal (see below) which is considered a signature of a lay Shaolin, at least in the tradition I practice.

The sets you posted have many elements of Shaolin Hong Chuan Quan 洪長拳. Do you know if they use the crossed yin 印 seal at the beginning and end of their sets?
    r.
    www.shaolinwushu.com

Name:  crossedhand.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  32.9 KB
    Last edited by r.(shaolin); 03-12-2014 at 05:18 AM.

Here are the names of the five monks who created the style, 周福、普红、普俊、普毅、广德. They are described as five monks from the Shaolin Si Bei Yuan (少林寺北院有五僧) during the Ming dynasty.
    There was a fighter in who used the style in the mid Qing dynasty who became legendary for fighting defeating almost 100 people in Cangzhou consecutively in an open challenge.

Here's a link to a page with a little info.
    http://www.shaolinsixuexiao.com/Aboutus/101.html
    That webpage lists different names for the first two: Zhouzhao 周招 instead of Zhoufu 周福, and Puren 普仁 instead of Puhong 普红.

Zhoufu 周福 is on my lineage chart (Nanyuan). He lived in the late 1500's to early 1600's, around the time the Yonghuatang 永华堂 (aka Shaolinsi Nanyuan) would have first been built.

So, given their generations, these monks on your list would have most likely been around in the early 1600's. The webpage says there's no written record of when the style they created was transmitted outside Shaolin, but this would have been very close to the late Ming destruction and desertion of the monastery in the 1640's. So it is entirely possible that they fled north taking their new style to the Beishaolinsi area at that time, and it has since been centered in Cangzhou. This would account for there being no written record and for a Beiyuan system not being found around Songshan, since it was newly developed just before the place was destroyed and didn't have time to become known and spread there.

Anyone have any back ground on these sets?

I've only been able to trace them back about 100 years.
    AWESOME FIND!

Watch this video:

It is the same as the first road of the video you posted.

This was taken actually at Shaolin. The performer If memory serves is a student of ZhuTianXi, which makes it of the Shi Degen lineage. However I do know Master TianXi had other teachers and not all of his methods are from Shi Degen.

It looks like archetypal longfist, Shanxi hong quan style, which none of the rest of Shaolin really does. This made me think that it was perhaps a later import.

Either way, you have found the origin! I would love some more info on it. Interestingly, it is not 'Zen' but a different Chan character, I am not sure of the meaning. I had earlier assumed it was a corruption of ChaQuan since the style looks so similar, but this may prove me wrong.

So, we now have a video of the complete Shaolin Chan Quan, thanks!

Do you know precisely where and who this style is still practised by? Might be worth a visit to someone.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 03-11-2014 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RenDaHai View Post
    Interestingly, it is not 'Zen' but a different Chan character, I am not sure of the meaning.
    That character 阐 means to express, to disclose, to enlighten, to open, to explain, to elaborate, etc..

Do you know precisely where and who this style is still practised by? Might be worth a visit to someone.
    So it's some sort of animal system. That video said Suzhou, as in next door to Shanghai?

It looks like archetypal longfist, Shanxi hong quan style, which none of the rest of Shaolin really does. This made me think that it was perhaps a later import.

Either way, you have found the origin! I would love some more info on it. Interestingly, it is not 'Zen' but a different Chan character, I am not sure of the meaning. I had earlier assumed it was a corruption of ChaQuan since the style looks so similar, but this may prove me wrong.

I'll try to get the info at some point, I have it somewhere.
    But I know this was being taught at Shaolin in the first two decades of the 20th century.
    It was brought to Suzhou by a guy who was at Shaolin at the time. Eventually he decided to work for a security company in Sichuan instead of becoming a monk. He was one of Hai Deng's best friends, Hai Deng was going to move to Suzhou in the 50's or 60's to open a school teaching traditional Shaolin with him. But he ran into political troubles at the last minute and left Suzhou right after he got there to keep his friend from being involved.
    I can't remember his name offhand, but these are his students.
    I'll look for the info I have on it and post some more later.

Actually now that I think of it Hai Deng may have stayed in Suzhou for a couple years.
    But I know they never opened the school and he tried to stay away from his friend, at least publicly.
    In any case this doesn't come from Hai Deng, this is his friend's lineage.

But yeah the Suzhou near Shanghai, it's generally just called Suzhou Shaolin there.
    However it was only brought there around 1950, by a Shaolin disciple.
    The people who practice it call it Shaolin Chan Quan, I'll have to check which character they use for Chan.

Interesting thanks!

The animal names don't seem to add anything, there is nothing characteristic in the sets and it is unusual for northern sets to name that way. Possibly a later addition to distinguish 1st road 2nd road etc.

So there is a link with HaiDeng..... Could this still be something Hai deng was teaching during a brief period at Shaolin before the 50's? I mean, if they were friends before he went to SuZhou.....

Certainly it is not characteristic of the rest of Song Mountain Wushu, and I have not seen it practised outside of the sect shown..... Then again there is a certain link to Shaolin temple through this sect.....

Suzhou.... very convenient, maybe worth a look.
    Last edited by RenDaHai; 03-11-2014 at 06:47 AM.

AWESOME FIND!

It looks like archetypal longfist, Shanxi hong quan style,
    Typical of the sets we practice.

r.

Quote Originally Posted by r.(shaolin) View Post
    Apparently there is a traditional Shaolin martial art being practiced at the Northern Shaolin Monastery near Pan Shan 盤山. I have not seen any videos of their sets, but they use a crossed yin 印 seal (see below) which is considered a signature of a lay Shaolin, at least in the tradition I practice. The sets you posted have many elements of Shaolin Hong Chuan Quan 洪長拳. Do you know if they use the crossed yin 印 seal at the beginning and end of their sets?
    r.
    www.shaolinwushu.com
    The Wu Zi Quan set is the one that claimed to come from Shaolin Bei Yuan. The sets in the Suzhou Shaolin Can Quan video are unrelated to Wu Zi Quan and are from Shaolin proper, or at least they were being taught there from the last few years of the Qing dynasty through at least 1920 or so.
    Sorry I kind of switched subjects in the middle of the discussion.
    All I know of the Suzhou Chan Quan sets is what I have seen in that clip. It was taken as part of the national martial arts survey in the 1980's.
    Last edited by Tea Serpent; 03-11-2014 at 08:22 PM.

I can't find the info I had on him before, but the name of the person I was talking about who brought the 6 Chan Quan sets from Shaolin to Suzhou was Wang Ziren 王子仁.
    They seem to use the standard character for the Chan sect when they write Chan Quan.

There is some info on him and some of his students here.
    http://city.sina.com.cn/city/t/2012-...2934126_3.html
    Last edited by Tea Serpent; 03-11-2014 at 09:15 PM.