Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Move your front foot first or move your back foot first?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Yes to MYM and YKW above. Do you bounce or shuffle? Why?
    If I use the "back foot advance first" footwork to kick, I'll jump up a little so my kick can be like a jumping kick that combine footwork and kick in 1 motion for speed, If I just use that footwork to enter, I won't jump.

Here is an example.

http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If I use the "back foot advance first" footwork to kick, I'll jump up a little so my kick can be like a jumping kick that combine footwork and kick in 1 motion for speed, If I just use that footwork to enter, I won't jump.
    Your kick examples usually show kick to knee/thigh. Do you not like kick to inside/outside of lower leg to turn or break his footwork?

It can be faster, and it helps give you his arm.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    Your kick examples usually show kick to knee/thigh. Do you not like kick to inside/outside of lower leg to turn or break his footwork?

It can be faster, and it helps give you his arm.
    The only 2 kicks that I like to use as part of my entering strategy are:

- kick to the knee,
    - foot sweep to the ankle.

To me, those 2 has the least risk involved.

If my opponent kicks the inside or outside of my

- lower leg, I'll turn my shin bone into it. I can also use "跪腿(Gui Tui)" to bend my knee back to let his kick to go pass under my leg. I can then use "补踢(Bu Ti)" to sweep back at his kicking leg ankle. Since I like to do this to my opponent. I don't like my opponent to do this to me, I try to avoid "kick to inside/outside of lower leg".
    - upper leg, or body, I'll catch his leg. I also don't like to kick at my opponent's upper leg or body for the same reason.

The whole discussion is all about "risk".
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-07-2014 at 03:08 PM.

Yep, I did review the footstep techniques three months ago. My conclusion is very similar to the first video clip shown in this thread except:

in moving backward, I move my front foot first. That will make myself move away from the opponent faster than moving the back foot first.

So I move my front foot first when I move forward or backward. Shuffle when we do not move in large distance; jump when we do. All these foot steps are done quickly so as to be effective and non-telepathy. Jump is anyway telepathy. But when even it is noticed, it is already more than half-completed because of the speed.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Good stuff! I have learned to be more careful when I move. Up and down movement gave me away. I try to stay level when coming in.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    Yes to MYM and YKW above. Do you bounce or shuffle? Why?
    Jackie,
    Shuffle, unless attacking with the forward knee then I would use a bounce (騰 挪 téng nuó) as in the first line of Beng Bu.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Jackie,
    Shuffle, unless attacking with the forward knee then I would use a bounce (騰 挪 téng nuó) as in the first line of Beng Bu.
    For attacking, I like to use the Gong Li Quan forward jumping.

I

- jump up with my leading left leg,
    - land with my right leg,
    - use stealing step to advance my left leg even further.

I used to be able to cover 15 feet distance by this footwork. I had used it in a challenge fight that I landed my right fist on my opponent's face.

I tend to describe things as though I'm in right lead.

I use:

1) Normal forward shuffles, where the front foot steps, the rear foot follows. This is most often the way I move forward, generally effective without giving up too many defensive options. Nothing special here, often do it with a jab, you get the idea.

2) stealing step? Where the rear leg creeps behind the front, and then the front moves forward. I'll sometimes do this after I slip a strike, to get a heavy hit in. The moment where the legs are closer together is the moment of highest risk, but it is a risk that is often worth it (sometimes not!) Often I do a heavy lead with it, a lead leg kick(as the rear leg moving up makes it quick to empty the lead leg), etc. I more often do this step after set up than on its own.

3) Stepping back with the rear foot first, the front foot catching up. If backing away from an opponent's advance, seeking to keep the same distance in order to stay in the game, but not going off the line the opponent is attacking me on, I'll do this, but if the opponent is advancing with a low line kick and there is risk of them connecting (and I'm obviously using footwork here as the main defense), then I will use #4 instead of this retreating step. I often follow this with a retreating jab, a low-line kick with my lead leg after the rear foot retreats. If I'm reading that the opponent is going for clinch, double leg, et al, in other words a dedicated entry that I'm not willing to take the risk that I can strike him out of, I don't do this step, instead doing a retreating switch step or other footwork.

4) Stepping back by bringing the lead leg back to where the rear leg is and bringing the rear leg further back as soon as the lead leg lands. I pretty much use this when the opponent is advanced into a kick towards my lead leg, it clears the lead leg out quickly, but the rear leg needs to get into place quickly in case the opponent is trying to carry the kick through to the rear knee. I may follow this with a low line lead leg kick, or other attack.

I know no one asked, but figured I'd share:

In side stepping I like to (again, assume right lead):

A) To shuffle right, right foot shuffles first, often I use a cross(or similar rear hand strike) after this because stepping to the lead side lines up the rear hand with the target, or a rear leg kick, as the moment the right foot lands, it's easy to make it weighted and thus free the rear leg for a kick.

B) To shuffle left, left foot shuffles first, often I use a jab as the right leg catches up, or a lead leg kick after the left foot's initial step, again because it is easier and quicker there to put weight on the left leg, emptying the lead for a kick.

Switch Steps:

On the rear switch step, where the lead leg goes back and becomes the rear leg, I mostly use a particular variation of this to stuff an aggressive forward charge, with the goal being to neutralize the charge as forcefully and suddenly as possible, and, at the moment the charge is dissipated, try to take the initiative with close combos(chops/hooks, uppercuts, etc, or, if too close for those, elbows knees and head butts).

The lead switch step, where the rear leg becomes the lead, I often do these after crosses, lead uppercuts in some cases, overhands, mainly after moves where I am forward in my stance by the end, and I use it to continue flurries of strikes where the opponent is forced back or retreating from a flurry, or to transition from longer strikes to closer range striking.

On stepping for slips(rear lead):
    a) When slipping to the rear side, I like to slip slightly to my back quarter(this has to do with my fighting stance, where I sometimes choose to keep my upper line targets back to try to force the opponent to reach, by slipping to the back quarter, sometimes the temptation to go for the hit brings them close enough that, if I slip, almost all targets are in range for me, often without my having to step). I do not step back when slipping to my rear side, I either step with my left leg just slightly further left, not at all, or slightly forward, while my upper body slips toward my rear left quarter. If I stepped slightly forward, I am just wound up enough to follow up by hooking their lead foot while facing back into the target and striking, or kneeing(if the opportunity arises), or lead leg round kicking.

b) When slipping to the lead side, I also slip my upper body slightly to my right rear quarter, for the same reason. Usually, I move my lead leg to my right a bit. I often follow this up with a jab, or a rear leg cross kick.

Most other footwork for me relates more to throws, except in weapons, where strength is applied for different goals, and so some things that are not desirable to do in empty hand are highly desirable in weapons, imo.
    Last edited by Faux Newbie; 03-14-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    1) the front foot steps, the rear foot follows.

You may have to take the risk to be swept. The moment that you advance your leading leg, the distance between you and your opponent has been reduced. If your opponent can't sweep you before, he can sweep you now.

A) To shuffle right, right foot shuffles first.
    B) To shuffle left, left foot shuffles first.

Same issue here, the moment that you have move your leading foot, the moment that distance between you and your opponent has been changed. If you always move your back foot first, you won't have this issue.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-14-2014 at 12:51 PM.

1) the front foot steps, the rear foot follows.

You may have to take the risk to be swept. The moment that you advance your leading leg, the distance between you and your opponent has been reduced. If your opponent can't sweep you before, he can sweep you now.
    Of course. This is always the risk, but risk can also create opportunity. What step one takes and how is also dependent on what the opponent is doing at the time. At the right moment, the above shuffle is good. It allows for a more immediate strike, for instance, than the rear foot moving first. But it also has its risks at times.

For the record, scoring that kind of sweep is fun...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Newbie View Post
    than the rear foot moving first. But it also has its risks at times.
    When you move you back foot, the distance between you and your opponent will remain the same. If he can't kick/sweep you before, he still can't kick/sweep you now.

If you stand orthodox:

Move forward, left
    Move left, left
    Move back, right
    Move right, right
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

When you move you back foot, the distance between you and your opponent will remain the same. If he can't kick/sweep you before, he still can't kick/sweep you now.
    This applies from pre-contact range, and does not necessarily apply to the midst of an exchange between two people. For entering, that is the risk of doing lead foot first, but the risk of doing rear foot first is that the opponent reads the intent and adjusts his pace in order to get in for a sweep at the moment that your feet are together.

The footwork itself does not decide the result, the ability to read the opponent does, so either method has vulnerabilities, like anything else, and which footwork to use is based on reading the opponent in many cases. I think both have their place, and I definitely think that each has vulnerabilities that an opponent can capitalize on.