Thread: Move your front foot first or move your back foot first?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Move your front foot first or move your back foot first?

In the following video, when he moves forward or left, he moves his "front" foot first, his back foot then follow.

He can also move his "back" foot first, his front foot then moves forward or moves to the left.

What's the difference here? Which method do you prefer and why? Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-04-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I think that you need to move the foot that needs to be moved to gain the position of strength according to your reckoning and using the base of the style you use. Orthodoxy will often fail when it comes to the real dynamics of fighting being the gist of it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Front to back for standard attack/defense, back to front is an explosive, fully committed attack. Depends on strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

I don't prefer one or the other. They go hand and hand so I use both. In Kali we train male and female triangle stepping. The male triangle is pointed toward the opponent, and the female is pointed away. Here's a brief video I found which demonstrates this.

Here's another decent video of the triangle footwork in Kali Arnis.

I get wanting to dissect martial techniques, especially some of the more esoteric stuff, but you keep making these threads asking black or white questions. The answer is always "do what needs to be done in the moment" always. Lead with front fist or cross with back depending on the moment. Throw your opponent or strike them in the groin depending on the moment. Move with front leg first or back leg depending on the moment.