Thread: South Dakota: Hard Up For A Dollar

South Dakota: Hard Up For A Dollar

Greetings,

This is a bit much....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYUMI-uJMaI

mickey

'The separation of parents from their children is the greatest of evils' -- Pythagoras

Two sides to every story, but I have been reading about this a lot lately, even here in England. Children taken without reasons clearly given. Forcibly taking a child I consider to be one of the most drastic of actions reserved for extreme circumstances. I really despise civil servants who have power disproportionate to their virtue and intelligence.

Hi,

Here is a video my Uncle shared with me through e-mail via the American Indian Center of Chicago the other year (Dakota 38):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pX6F...yer_detailpage

It is about the largest mass execution (public execution style) in United States history. My grandfather, John "Beat" Bluewater, volunteered on the board of the Chicago American Indian Center in the 1960's/70's when he lived in Chicago. Lots of people from the plains were /are involved in the Chicago Center too. One thing my grandfather always talked about was Abraham Lincoln's really bad treatment/ policies towards native people in general.

The Boarding school experience in the USA was horrible , so was the residential schools (children taken) in Canada. "kill the indian and save the man" was the motto.

In a lot of places things like child services and the law and red tape are still a big problem, from the east coast to the west coast. Here is an example from Massachusetts, where you think people would know better(Massachusett's usually has a rep for being liberal, progressive):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHS-b...yer_detailpage

At least growing up my family was more or less assimilated into the dominant culture so I didn't have to deal with that kind of crap although they did stick me into special education . But things like this are still happening all the time across the country.
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 02-25-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Greetings,

I viewed both links. I am very happy to see that some of the Native American nations are taking the initiative with their healing process.

mickey

I was a short term volunteer on Chicago's North side (Edgewater neighbourhood) for the local native American Indian center.
    We brought food and clothes to the Center but it seemed to be a losing battle. This was about 15 years ago!
    One location was across the street from Truman College and another satellite place was just off Lawrence Avenue but now when I pass by the area has become so gentrified that there is no place to go due to lack of social service in the area. People were kicked off the Res. (whether from Wisconsin, Oklahoma or Indiana!!!) at one point in time and they end up in urban areas with no help and the destitution is even worse as there is no support.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    I was a short term volunteer on Chicago's North side (Edgewater neighbourhood) for the local native American Indian center.
    We brought food and clothes to the Center but it seemed to be a losing battle. This was about 15 years ago!
    One location was across the street from Truman College and another satellite place was just off Lawrence Avenue but now when I pass by the area has become so gentrified that there is no place to go due to lack of social service in the area. People were kicked off the Res. (whether from Wisconsin, Oklahoma or Indiana!!!) at one point in time and they end up in urban areas with no help and the destitution is even worse as there is no support.
    Yes... I understand the American Indian Center was started in the 1950's as a response to the "Relocation Act of 1950" where people were kicked off different res'. and were expected to join the 'melting pot'.

My grandfather was born off a reservation in Allamakee County Iowa but lived w/ his aunt's family as a teenager on a reservation (Wisconsin I think) during the Great Depression of the 1930's before joining the navy for WWII. He lived in Chicago for a while and was a steel worker and associated himself with the American Indian Center in Chicago. John Bluewater Howes, aka "Beat" Howes.

There is another urban Center in Boston that was started in the 1970's co-founded by a famous activist and songwriter from Canada Buffy Saint-Marie.

Quote Originally Posted by mawali View Post
    Yes... I understand the American Indian Center was started in the 1950's as a response to the "Relocation Act of 1950" where people were kicked off different res'. and were expected to join the 'melting pot'.

My grandfather was born off a reservation in Allamakee County Iowa but lived w/ his aunt's family as a teenager on a reservation (Wisconsin I think) during the Great Depression of the 1930's before joining the navy for WWII. He lived in Chicago for a while and was a steel worker and associated himself with the American Indian Center in Chicago. John Bluewater Howes, aka "Beat" Howes.

There is another urban Center in Boston that was started in the 1970's co-founded by a famous activist and songwriter from Canada Buffy Saint-Marie.