If we look at clinching and throwing and locking and striking as different trades, then Kung Fu fighters are seeking to be jacks of multiple trades.

Especially once you add in weapons.

In a sense, I think empty hand and weapons are almost two trades.

The problem with forms collectors isn't that they have too much, it's that many of them focus on form without doing the isolated drilling necessary to understand that form. Their trade is learning forms, not mastering methods.

For those of us who just love this stuff and will keep doing it over the years, it's inevitable to end up with techniques that one is familiar with, that one might put into the part of their toolbox that their go-to moves are in, but might not. Some moves we might be familiar with because people we know, with different body types, have used them to great effect. There are variations of techniques in the style that I do that are for throws on a bigger opponent, or smaller. It's good to know them, but, I'm pretty tall, the odds of me engaging someone that much taller than me are small, so I don't focus on them, but I know them.

Thus, you cannot master all of your style, if the style includes techs that relate to different variations of height, etc. You can master what is core, and what is suitable for you, and you can be familiar with the rest. A box with short reach cannot master the style of a boxer with long reach, and vice versa. They can understand it and explain it to someone, but not master it.

Additionally, being exposed to another style invariably makes some things from your core style make more sense. I don't believe you can master one style without exposure to the ideas of others, as all styles are formed based, to one degree or another, on common ideas about fighting amongst the contemporaries that made that style and the later individual's martial culture's that informed its adaptation.