Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Gene, Has KFO gone blue?

OK Gene, Has KFO gone blue?

First it was guys hanging things and pulling cars from their naughty bits. Now, I think it's on page 42 of the Shaolin issue, a picture of a buck naked kid? Or is the dancing baby a part of the monks tradition.

Ya won't find that stuff in JAMA or TKD Times!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Gotta pay your dues if you wanna sing the blues...

Blue? Who?
    We do like to push the edge of the envelope around here. We even did a SEX issue in July 2000 just so we could write SEX on our cover in 2" red letters. Also we did a centerfold of sorts once of Michiko Nishikawa in July 98. Michiko sold out. July didn't do as well so you can't say we did it for the money since there wasn't any.
    As for the naughty bits article, that was my peice and I just couldn't resist. It was such an interesting story.
    And the naked toddler in our current Shaolin Special - well, that's the pic they sent us. I think there's an underlying message there to those inside the "shaolin gate" so to speak, but I'm not sure from who....
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

speaking of...

I've always found the miss asian-america contestents in the ninja outfits (etc etc) to be really bad. First of all we all know they know little to nothing about maritial arts (or is that one really a ninja?) so its clear they're simply there for T&A purposes (and not like they're all that, get Michiko back!)

Perhaps the naked baby symbolizes a return to a more natural state.
    No brag, just fact.

Personally, I think that you could use more T&A. I'd like to see more of the Miss Asia pageant girls.

What I'd like to see less of is bearded geezers peddlin' snake oil and magic charms. The charlatans do nothing positive for the martial arts especially kung fu. Every time we start to gain legitimacy (kung fu still is reeling from the effects of David Carradine and his incomprehensible fortune cookie English), you put that guy who claims to smash coconuts with ultra super mystical nonsense in an article and we lose face with our Japanese and Korean counter parts. Let the hippies be in "high times" and put martial artists in the martial arts magazines.

young girls and old men

The Miss Asias have been drawing very positive response - I can only think of one other negative response so far. True, they don't practice (well some do carido kickbox stuff, but that probably doesn't count in most people's eyes here.) Personally, they are much easier on the eye than most alternatives and we are trying to sell some product here - that's how we earn our living.
    But in contrast, I think you'll find our roster of master models greater than any other company - for example just to name a few: Ren Guangyi, Chan Pui, Mimi Chen, Chen Xiaowang, Arthur Lee, Harlan Lee, Adam Hsu, Helen Liang, Jenny Tang, Cung Le, Lily Lau, Arthur Chen, Shaolin monks Guolin, Yanming, Xingying, Xinghao & Decheng.

As for the old masters - actually in a recent survey, they were one of the most requested subjects. We try to avoid charalatans of course, but one gets through every once in a while in every magazine and in every style. I don't think that makes Chinese styles lose face more than any other styles. Most veterans, while we don't like it, except it as a constant spectre throughout all martial arts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Old Masters

I love and respect TRUE masters like everybody else.

I'll eat up anything that you write about Grandmasters that have true lineages.

What I was referring to were the rejects from the counter culture movement that smoked a little too much hashish while watching a David Carradine Kung Fu marathon on the telly and decided to appoint themselves as a Grand Master of the Martial Arts rather than starting a legit 12-step program.

Them Miss Asias need a little meat on their bones. Take them to the Outback Steakhouse for a Victoria cut.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

I can give them a bit of meat with my bone
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

fake T&A versus legit T&A

If its attractive women you want modelling your wears, why not get some real CMA practioners? Jenny Tang, Mimi Chan, Clara Shen, Mae Hsu, just to name a few off the top of my head...

All are legitimate practicioners who know what they're doing, something the other model girls clearly don't. I don't see this problem with the males featured in the ads, you can get Cung Le or Harlan Lee to pose, these guys are good enough looking, right? Why not find some of the female equivalents?

I'm sure there's a few pretty girls at some ninjitsu school just waiting to be discovered!!

Hey why not get the KFO gang to model. If I can find my truss I'd be game.

Watchman could model the ninja gear, Knifefighter the bladed products and Rolls the toddler wear.

DM

Celestial Amiboshi could model the sweatshirts
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.

JWT could model belt buckles.
    And Sevenstar could just pose with his shirt off for no other reason than he wants to.

DM

Ego Extrordinaire could model the toilet paper - because he is such an @rse wipe.

Neil Cameron could model the personal protection range of goods (mace etc) because he has so much experience in them - at the receiving end that is.

shoushu

We do have Jenny Tang and Mimi Chan as models (Clara and Mae have to come by and we'll shoot them too!) A lot of it is motivated by who comes to us. We have a strong relationship with the Miss Asia Pageant due to our participation in SF Chinatown. It is promoted by Rose Chung, a political activist and former beauty queen, and our parent company, TC Media, is a sponsor of the event. So it is very easy for us to get them to model for us - and since most of them are just posing to show product, they really don't need to know much. Actually, it can be really tough to get masters to model sometimes becuase they want the movements to be accurate. By nature, most kungfu movements are closed and protective, which doesn't show the product at all. Additionally, they look where they are striking instead of into the camera, and often when you get them to strike in the camera, again it doesn't show the product. I admire their integrity and respect their reasoning, but it can be VERY difficult during the shoot.
    Besides, when all the Miss Asias call, you think I'm not going to shoot them? It's a great perk for my crew.

I've been thinking of a way to incorporate the forum members into the print mag. I'm not sure modelling is it. I'm still working on it...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips