Thread: Happy Pi Day!

Hybrid View

Happy Pi Day!

Search engine must on the fritz. I searched 'pi' & 'pie' and came up empty.

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

next year is the good one. 3.1415...

Even better, Syn7

At 3/14/15 9:26 a.m. + 53 seconds, I'll be at Berkeley CMAT. There had better be pie. Or maybe...

Pi Day: Circle Your Calendar -- Once-in-a-Century Day Coming This Weekend
    Mar 13, 2015, 3:28 PM ET
    By PAUL H.B. SHIN
    via Good Morning America

Pi formula is written on blackboard in this undated stock photo.
    Getty Images

Circle around, math fans. There's a once-in-a-century Pi Day coming this weekend.

The day that celebrates the mathematical constant pi is Saturday. And because it's 2015, this particular sequence of numbers in the calendar that matches pi -- 3/14/15 -- won't come around for another century.

While the mathematical constant, which represents the ratio of circumference of a circle divided by its diameter, is often abbreviated as 3.14 for convenience, pi actually has an infinite number of digits beyond the decimal point, starting with 3.141592653.

So, expect a good deal of celebration at 9:26 a.m. at 53 seconds -- with the pastry pie, for obvious phonetic and geometrical reasons.

In fact, there will be a point between 9:26 a.m. 53 seconds and 54 seconds that the clock matches the number pi down to an infinite number of digits.

And as befitting its reputation as an elite institution of math, science and engineering, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has announced that it will send out its acceptance letters for this year's incoming class on Pi Day, precisely at 9:26 a.m.

That should round out the day -- at least for those accepted.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I dont really kow what this means but I'll just leave it here.

http://www.tauday.com/

Also just ordered the Raspberry Pi 2 this week. http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

🔥🏁💯🙏

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    I dont really kow what this means but I'll just leave it here.

http://www.tauday.com/
    That was Awesome!

This is something that has always annoyed me. Especially as he says in calculating in radians, I mean why is make one oscillation of a sin wave 2pi?? It makes much much more sense with Tau. But e^itau=1 clinches it. Awesome. I genuinely think there is a really good chance of people actually using this and it becoming standard form. Also what is cool is that the letter Tau looks like the letter Pi with one of its legs cut off!

Happy ROUNDED Pi Day!

Why 'Pi Day' 2016 Is Extra Special
    By ALYSSA NEWCOMB Mar 14, 2016, 9:43 AM ET

PHOTO: The "Pi" symbol, shown in this undated photo, is a mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circles circumference to its diameter.Getty Images

Math nerds likely had already circled today on the calendar, but it's worth noting this year's "Pi Day" is a once-in-a-century occurrence.

March 14 -- or 3/14 -- celebrates the mathematical constant of pi. Pi represents the ratio of circumference of a circle divided by its diameter. While it is often abbreviated as 3.14, pi has an infinite number of digits beyond the decimal point, starting with 3.141592653.

Pi Day: Circle Your Calendar -- Once-in-a-Century Day Coming This Weekend

Last year's Pi Day was one to celebrate since it was 3/14/15, perfectly matching the first numbers past the decimal point of pi. Last year, hardcore math fans even started celebrating the day at exactly 9:26 a.m. and 53 seconds. There's a big reason to celebrate this year too -- math enthusiasts are calling today "Rounded Pi Day."

When rounding pi to the ten-thousandth (that's four numbers past the decimal point), it comes out to 3.1416, matching today's date -- March 14, 2016.

And if you need any more reason to geek out about March 14, here's one: it's Albert Einstein's 137th birthday.
    Ima gonna get me sum rounded pie.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips