Thread: Tensing too much the upper body.

Tensing too much the upper body.

Hi, im new here. I practice since a little time (2 years) Choy Lee fut Kung fu.
    Im having difficulty keeping the energy on the lower abdomen, my instructors say that im too much up and tense on the upper back, rigid on the shoulders. I keep trying to correct this problem without success, is like i dont know how to move arms without tensing up, making circular movements without continuity/fluidity (everything i do when i move an arm, is getting this tension in the way), or the guard sustained with the arms, keeping tension in the shoulders, or doing kicks with the upper body tensed, or in lower position with the energy too much in the chest, so i apply tension when im comfronted by force (not using the strenght just of the lower body centered)
    They always tell me to relax, but i dont how to relax this. What would you recommend to try to correct this problem?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbs View Post
    They always tell me to relax, but i dont how to relax this. What would you recommend to try to correct this problem?
    Try to punch without using your arms (by dropping both arms next to your legs). Try to coordinate your hip with your shoulder, and try to start to move and stop both at the same time.,
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Hi, i think i dont notice this problem, because im used to keep tension in every moment, not just in kung fu. But when using the arms, my natural posture when walking is with the shoulders at front, or the chest closed, the problem is that i dont feel normal other way of keeping the upper back.
    Other observation that i had when doing movements, is that i have too much straight the line that is projected between the shoulders, that i have to be relaxed, natural, more curvy.
    I tend to walk everyday, as if i were looking down. Maybe is this?

This is what im doing everytime i think.
    Last edited by zxcvbs; 03-21-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zxcvbs View Post
    my natural posture when walking is with the shoulders at front, or the chest closed,
    When I was young, I used to put a pencil between my back muscle and try to hold it there. Even today, when I walk, I still like to put my arms behind my back.

http://s13.postimg.org/ruici8adj/wal...nds_behind.jpg
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-21-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

sounds like typical weekend warrior not practicing enough

I knew people that trained for 20+ years and still couldn't hold a fist properly. its your life. do what you want.
    Last edited by bawang; 03-22-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

This isn't meant to be pat, but relaxing the shoulders is the easiest way to relax the shoulders. Trying harder is not the solution, relax, get used to doing it as relaxed as possible, train yourself to do it. Everyone goes through this in the early stages, imo. Power comes from relaxing at the right moments, tensing at the right moments. It's very easy to thing that effort=power, but it often does not.

Standing meditation and seated meditation will help you to become more aware of your body and where to relax.
    Over time with practice, you will relax and loosen up. That looseness will assist with speed development as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

it is also possible that you don't feel comfortable with people in your class. that can give you tension.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

It's good to pay attention to body feel. So, I think you're on the right track in being aware. I like John's idea of holding a pencil betwixt the shoulder blades. I imagine a sharp point poking between the shoulder blades. When you twist, the whole shoulder girdle rotates. You can feel the lats stretch a bit. Practice waist twists often, sometimes in stricter form, other times more relaxed. Just some ideas.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if the epitome of CMA is dancing like a transgender Uyghur acrobat with down syndrome, then by all means.