Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Leung Jan Wing Chun

Original Leung Jan Wing Chun

I didnt know where to put this old topic i found on a forum on google Sorry for posting your old post Jim but i thought this topic was important about Leung Jans Wing Chun
    Subject: Where did the real Leung Jan wing chun go? Author: Tam Bing Date: 5/25/2002 3:31:31 AM IP: 205.188.193.54
    Reply to this message
    Hi all wing chun sihingdai,
    Currently there are so many people learning wing chun all over the southern China: Canton, Fatshan, Macus and Hong Kong. I have seen enongh to say that the real Leung Jan wing chun is still missing, some forty years ago, I was only fifteen years old boy, I had an exprience to see a style of wing chun was very effective system went against the pa-kua fighters. Matter of fact, my uncle was almost got killed by this chanlleger (Leung Jan wing chun fighter). All I knew this style once was called Leung Jan wing chun in Fatshan. My uncle had spent over twenty-some years to find this style all over the southern China, but somehow this style was gone. Six years ago I had travel to Hong Kong, met with Yip Chun, he mentioned that there might be still some unknown lineage of Leung Jan wing chun members somewhere in China, but he didn't know anything about it. So where did the real Leung Jan wing chun go?

Tam B.
    Subject: Re: Where did the real Leung Jan wing chun go? Author: James Roselando Date: 6/18/2002 1:37:19 PM IP: 64.156.135.139
    Reply to this message
    Your thoughts on Leung Jan's WC have been running thru my mind for a long time now. I believe that his Futshan lineages do not have the flavor/representation or stylistic traits of his teaching. I am a practitioner of Leung Jan WC from his time spent in Koo Lo village. During his time spent there he developed a simple art called Pin Sun Wing Chun. To the best of my knowledge we are the only WC clan preserving Leung sifu's boxing that has not gone thru Chan Wah Shun! You must be careful with what you read now a days claiming to be Koo Lo village WC but indeed our clan has been preserving his art privately for many years now and regard it as a treasure.

From what I have researched, and experienced, Leung Jan sifu's teaching is most "similar" to that of the Yuen Kay San clan headed by Sum Nung sifu. Although, YKS incorporated the Kum Na Sao of Fung Siu Ching's Weng Chun, and Sum Nung incorporated the San Sik of Cheung Bo, the root proper boxing of their art is quite similar to ours. Other than that I have not found much that I consider a close relative!

Although Chan Wah Shun was a top fighter under Leung sifu, his teaching seems to have a bit of a different structure and I sometimes believe it was do to his size compared to the size of Leung sifu. Wong Sam, Leung Jan's top pupil from Koo Lo, was more similar in size to Leung sifu so perhaps this is why his boxing may represent the older WC methods. Oh well, lots to think about!

Leung Jan--Wong Sam--Fung Chun--Fung Chiu--Mui Wai Hun--Me

These are the names of Leung Jan sifu's pupils from Futshan

Chan Wah Shun
    Lo Kam
    Lau Man Kay
    Fung Wah
    Leung Kai
    Ho Han Loi
    Tse Biu
    Leung Bik
    "Ju Yuk" Kwai
    "Muk Yan" Wah
    "Dai Shun" Shu

These are the names of Leung Jan sifu's pupils from Koo Lo

Wong Sam
    Yik Ying
    Leung Bak Chung

Regards,
    Jim

This is an old chat from over a decade ago.

Today I don't agree with everything I wrote.

Take care...
    Jim

Hey Jim!

Which of that information do you see differently now? Thanks!

Kieth,

One thing would be my thoughts on the Chan family and why their flavor is different?

I thought it was due to CWS's size but I don't believe that is accurate. The reason they have a different flavor is because they are into Nam Kuen and evolved differently...

Peace,

Jim
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Roselando View Post
    Kieth,

One thing would be my thoughts on the Chan family and why their flavor is different?

I thought it was due to CWS's size but I don't believe that is accurate. The reason they have a different flavor is because they are into Nam Kuen and evolved differently...

Peace,

Jim
    That is certainly true of what Chan Wah Shun's son passed on! But if Yui Choi is representative of what Ng Chung So taught, and if what Ng Chung So is representative of what Chan Wah Shun taught...then it isn't so clear. It could be that Chan Wah Shun's son was the one that added so much Nam Kuen material. Hard to know for sure.

I said, "they" were into Nam Kuen.

Meaning: Chan's decedents.

Nobody knows what CWS boxing looks like but there are stories of CWS having a close relationship with a certain Nam Kuen player so it may have been his kids or it may have started with CWS.

BTW: You cannot use Yiu Choi as an example:

Yiu family, and many others, have influence from the Yuen family.
    Jim

I said, "they" were into Nam Kuen.

Meaning: Chan's decedents.

Nobody knows what CWS boxing looks like but there are stories of CWS having a close relationship with a certain Nam Kuen player so it may have been his kids or it may have started with CWS.

BTW: You cannot use Yiu Choi as an example:

Yiu family, and many others, have influence from the Yuen family.
    Good points! Thanks! It would be very valuable to see some "pure" Ng Chung So lineage Wing Chun.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Good points! Thanks! It would be very valuable to see some "pure" Ng Chung So lineage Wing Chun.
    This is as close to Ng Chung So's linage as you can find on the net

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSgeDpItfQ8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVHiRCnmTeA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtcJrG9RVDo

Another Futshan combo system that links thru Yiu family which links to Yuen family...

Adios KFO...
    Jim

Another Futshan combo system that links thru Yiu family which links to Yuen family...

Adios KFO...
    Yeah. Fok Chiu was Yiu Choi's student, so what Jim said about Yiu Choi still applies! Interesting point here though. Yiu Choi's Wing Chun can't be seen as representative of Ng Chung So because he trained with and had a lot of influence from Yuen Kay Shan. So we would have to say the same thing about Yip Man! If YKS had a lot of influence on YC's WCK, then he would have also had a lot of influence on YM's WCK! They were all three training partners and YKS was technically the senior guy. This is likely why Robert Chu and others have said that YKS is the "missing link" that Yip Man was covering with the Leung Bik story. I still think its most likely that Yip Man was actually using the story to cover influence from multiple sources like Yuen Kay Shan, Fung Wah, Chu Chong Man, and Tang Yik. "Leung Bik" was probably an all-inclusive cover story for anything Yip Man wanted to do that was different from his classmates!

Except that Robert Chu's listing with the YKS lineage can be viewed as "lacking impartiality" on the subject. Also you will note that if you watch some of the old Bruce Lee movies you will see that he wasn't really a very good actor, looking at the Hong Kong standard of the day. He will always be a great actor to lots of people, though.
    Last edited by PalmStriker; 03-23-2014 at 07:39 PM.

The coulda been woulda been theories of history are having a field day.

Blog Entries
    Another Futshan combo system that links thru Yiu family which links to Yuen family...Adios KFO...
    Agree! However Fok Chiu, met and trained with Ng Chung So, as well as yip Man, and Yuen kay san so he can explain the differences. I know this because one of my kung fu brother is a student of his and Fok Chiu often explain the differences between Leung Jan's Linage and Yuen Kay San's since he knows both versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Vajramusti View Post
    The coulda been woulda been theories of history are having a field day.
    When left with little documentation, you have to go with the "most probables." Real historians do that all the time. You construct the best story that makes what is known fit together and then modify it as more information comes to light. Just because the story that develops or the information coming to light doesn't match up with what you would like to believe doesn't make it any less valid.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmStriker View Post
    Except that Robert Chu's listing with the YKS lineage can be viewed as "lacking impartiality" on the subject. Also you will note that if you watch some of the old Bruce Lee movies you will see that he wasn't really a very good actor, looking at the Hong Kong standard of the day. He will always be a great actor to lots of people, though.
    And your point is?????????