Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Original Leung Jan Wing Chun

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    When left with little documentation, you have to go with the "most probables." Real historians do that all the time. You construct the best story that makes what is known fit together and then modify it as more information comes to light. Just because the story that develops or the information coming to light doesn't match up with what you would like to believe doesn't make it any less valid.
    I don't think you have to go with what is most probable and when you have little verified info to base conclusions on I think it is irresponsible to do so. The responsible and I think honest answer is to say I don't know and admit there just isn't enough solid evidence to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tc101 View Post
    I don't think you have to go with what is most probable and when you have little verified info to base conclusions on I think it is irresponsible to do so. The responsible and I think honest answer is to say I don't know and admit there just isn't enough solid evidence to know.
    Yes, that or simply note that the story is a theory that is subject to change as more things come to light. Its natural to look for answers to questions that don't have very clear answers. As long as the theories don't get sold as the "truth."

Yes, that or simply note that the story is a theory that is subject to change as more things come to light. Its natural to look for answers to questions that don't have very clear answers. As long as the theories don't get sold as the "truth."
    You really do not see what is so very wrong with that?

You really do not see what is so very wrong with that?
    No. Why don't you enlighten us? A theory is formulated to explain how known evidence fits together and may evolve as data is collected. This happens in historical/sociological research. Anthropologists do this all the time.

No. Why don't you enlighten us? A theory is formulated to explain how known evidence fits together and may evolve as data is collected. This happens in historical/sociological research. Anthropologists do this all the time.
    They are not doing what you guys are doing. Even your so called known evidence is mostly assumptions and guess work and the reasoning is loose.

They are not doing what you guys are doing. Even your so called known evidence is mostly assumptions and guess work and the reasoning is loose.
    Whatever dude.

This Article says Leung Jan learned from Pao Fa Lien Lao Dat Sang

Blog Entries
    I also found these two articles interesting, one talks about the wing chun bagua stepping method, and the other about the wing chun team loosing in 1969 http://wingchunkuen.me/2013/06/18/fo...son/#more-1073
    http://wingchunkuen.me/2013/01/04/10...-emin-boztepe/
    Last edited by kung fu fighter; 03-25-2014 at 09:37 PM.

I would take that whole thing with a big dose of skepticism! After all, right at the beginning they state that all Wing Chun lineages trace back to Leung Jan. Well, Yuen Kay Shan certainly doesn't! And his style is well-known in China and Hong Kong! This is almost entirely a promotional piece. If you are trying to promote your style of Pao Fao Lien, what better way than to say that its founder taught the famous Leung Jan!

Kpm

I am not promoting Pao Fa Lien Wing Chun i dont even know this system i wish i did though . I guess a person would have to go to Hong Kong to learn it or maybe Mainland China if you could find it there in Foshan .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    ???
    Did Yip Man know/teach other kung fu alongside his wing chun?
    no, wing chun already have the bagua steps, but apparently this aspect of the system was only taught in Foshan and not in Hong Kong according to the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Firehawk4 View Post
    I am not promoting Pao Fa Lien Wing Chun i dont even know this system i wish i did though . I guess a person would have to go to Hong Kong to learn it or maybe Mainland China if you could find it there in Foshan .
    I don't think Keith was referring to you, he was referring to the writer of the article.

Quote Originally Posted by HybridWarrior View Post
    ???
    Did Yip Man know/teach other kung fu alongside his wing chun?
    Apparently, it's not like the stepping from the martial art Bagua, just a common name.

YM trained some Chi Sim stuff at one point, but the depth of which and with who is up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by kung fu fighter View Post
    I don't think Keith was referring to you, he was referring to the writer of the article.
    Yes, Navin is right. I wasn't referring to you Firehawk. Thanks for posting the links to the videos. Its always interesting to see other styles of Wing Chun!

Hi Palmstriker

Interesting that the article says that Wong Wah Sam was Leung Jans Sisters Son does this mean Leung Jan had a sister ? I read another article that said Leung Jan had a brother named Leung Wa Nam i think that was his name .