Thread: Should all CMA systems have jab, cross, uppercut, and hook?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Should all CMA systems have jab, cross, uppercut, and hook?

The jab, cross, uppercut, and hook all exist in the praying mantis system. It's 100% TCMA. It's the most basic punching tools for all MA systems. The boxing system doesn't own it.

1. jab:

2. cross:

3. uppercut:

4. hook:

Why do you think that some TCMA systems do not have all those basic striking tools? Your thought?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-23-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

who doesn't have it?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xinyidizi View Post
    who doesn't have it?
    If I list the styles name here, I would get into argument in the 1st page of my thread. I don't want that to happen. If people claim that their system has all those tools, they should be able to put up pictures or clips to prove it as I did for the praying mantis system.

Instead of saying which style doesn't have those tools (1/2 cup empty), let us try to prove which style has those tools (1/2 cup full) by posting pictures or clips. So, who want to start first?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 03-23-2014 at 08:54 PM.

I cant talk for southern styles, but I would imagine most northern styles have it. At least Tongbei Quan does, which has a lot of similarities to Mantis by the way.

I am pretty sure Chang Quan does too, but Ive only seen the system done as forms, never seen anybody applying it......

1 Depending on styles/schools

there are modified fist methods with different names but serving the same functions.

2 We may use fist face, fist eyes, fist back, fist heart and fist wheel to strike.

3 In addition, single knuckle fist with different fingers.

4 chong chui or thrust fist is most difficult to understand and practice.

5 there are also drillling fists upward, forward, horizontal etc.

6 There are more modifications or specializations.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xiao yao View Post
    I am pretty sure Chang Quan does too, but Ive only seen the system done as forms, never seen anybody applying it......
    Here is my question. If those tools are so important, why it's not in the forms? If it's not in the forms, how do you know it didn't come from "cross training"? If I think hook punch is important, I'll put it into the 1st form that I create.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Here is my question. If those tools are so important, why it's not in the forms? If it's not in the forms, how do you know it didn't come from "cross training"? If I think hook punch is important, I'll put it into the 1st form that I create.
    CLF has all of those, among others. They're important basics. Plus, they are in the forms.

BTW, I thought you feel that forms are a waste of time? If so, why does it matter if those basic strikes are in them or not? (This isn't an attack; I'm just curious).